Clarkson prints banks details - then gets fleeced

TurnerGTX

Not one of Jeremy's better ideas.:mrgreen:

TV star Jeremy Clarkson has become the victim of his own brash confidence after someone set up a direct debit for a charity in his name after he printed his own bank account details in a newspaper column.

Last November, the nation was in uproar after the two discs containing the bank details of millions of Britons went missing in the Government benefit blunder.

In his column, the Top Gear presenter argued that there was nothing to worry about as all of our details were readily available to any would-be fraudsters whenever we handed out cheques.

To emphasise this point, he allowed his bank account number and sort code to be printed, in very large type, in his weekly column in the Sun.

However, in the newspaper today he revealed that someone has used his details to set up a direct debit with the British Diabetic Association to take ?500 from his account every month.

Suitably chastened, Clarkson now concedes: "So there you are. I was wrong. I have been punished for my mistake."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/showbiz/showbiznews.html?in_article_id=506242&in_page_id=1773

He is right in one way - it requires forgery and slipshod signature checking on the part of the Bank, as he points out cheques are handed around all the time and it has been foolish for Banks to rely on the details being difficult to know to prevent forgery. You can't just set up a DD with out a mandate and a signature.

"So there you are. I was wrong. I have been punished for my mistake."

:lmao:

Hilarious. Classic Clarkson cockyness I say.

:jawdrop:
Why would you print your bank account information in a nationally syndicated newspaper to prove a point? The mind boggles...that's the dumbest thing I've heard this week. It's shocking that Clarkson would fall for it.

:jawdrop:
Why would you print your bank account information in a nationally syndicated newspaper to prove a point? The mind boggles...that's the dumbest thing I've heard this week. It's shocking that Clarkson would fall for it.

exactly what i thought as well.

why post your banking details on the newspaper? its plain stupid.

1331636.jpg

Clarkson: "So there you are. I was wrong. I have been punished for my mistake."

You are one dumb Mother F%#$er Jeremy.

You should sit that article right next to your cream-filled, fake diploma as a reminder of that fact.

Last edited:
He is right in one way - it requires forgery and slipshod signature checking on the part of the Bank, as he points out cheques are handed around all the time and it has been foolish for Banks to rely on the details being difficult to know to prevent forgery. You can't just set up a DD with out a mandate and a signature.

yeah,

what else can you do with just the account number and sort code?

lol wasnt a bright idea, but i dont think it warrants being labeled as motherfucking dumb either. i mean for starters he did this in his sun column and the majority of the readers really only understand page 3 anyway. to be honest it wouldnt suprise me if he'd printed an account number of an account that he doesnt frequently use just incase.....well you can only hope lol

Oh dear Clarkson that was a bit of a mistake. Always remember: Keep your details private, if you can keep them private, make them up!

I'm more impressed that someone was awesome enough to set it up to a charity and not just steal it. Pretty funny actually.

Now will he cancel the direct debit or feel morally obliged to keep the donation going?

Somehow I get the feeling this wasn't his main account. Probably set one up for it.

1331636.jpg

Clarkson: "So there you are. I was wrong. I have been punished for my mistake."

You are one dumb Mother F%#$er Jeremy.

You should sit that article right next to your cream-filled, fake diploma as a reminder of that fact.

Someone is a might bit bitter. :blink:

I'm more impressed that someone was awesome enough to set it up to a charity and not just steal it. Pretty funny actually.

i think with only those two things....thats all you can do. dont quote me but i think anything else needs like a proper reason and a authorised signature. something like that

Well its amazing what you can do with those details! But I am sure Clarkson would have printed an account that wasn't his main one....