Clarkson's Cure for F1 Boredom.

Leppy said:
LoudPipe said:
Ultra_Kool_Dude said:
Maybe if each driver was given five strong shots of nitrous (nitros) that they could use during the race. That would definately help passing.
In the turbo era they used to have 3-5 boost increases by a press of a button. Any more would result a running out of fuel

Thats what the indy cars have... They call it a "push to pass" button. Each driver has 60 seconds of increased boost to use during the race.

yea, I seriously think they should do something similar in F1. But then even with something like that it would be hard for someone to catch ferrari. But there should be more mid-fielders passing. I love the occasional renault vs honda fight last year.

Maybe it should be like... at the start of the season everyone gets 60 seconds per race... say there are 7 cars in a race (I know there isn't but run with me).

1st race everyone has 60 seconds.

2nd race:

1st place in 1st race gets 45 seconds for the race.
2nd place in 1st race gets 50 seconds for the race.
3rd place in 1st race gets 55 seconds for the race.
4th place in 1st race gets 60 seconds for the race.
5th place in 1st race gets 65 seconds for the race.
6th place in 1st race gets 70 seconds for the race.
7th place in 1st race gets 75 seconds for the race.

So what happens is... the further infront of the median position you are, the more you get penalised. The further behind you more you get.

The total amount of seconds for each race is added up as well... so if winner of race 1 wins race 2, he gets another 15 seconds deducted and starts race 3 with 30 seconds

^ Sounds too much like MarioKart. :lol: :p

Indeed it is. :lol:

I think the best thing they could do to formula one would be to reduce cost. It is so damn damn damn expensive for any new team to get into it because it costs millions to do anything. If they don't have a million dollar machine predicting the optimal shock compression they would be competitive.

As well as aerodynamic research costs millions as it is the most expensive part of the whole car.

ban all electronic driving aids and you get good racing where the driver's skill matters more that it does now

Defending F1 a little, they tried banning traction control and it increased cost, because the teams could program ECU to have traction control, and it would be too hard to detect the modification.

And, the Ferrari the team is way ahead of many other teams so far as making a car orginization wise, thats what wins races, not necessairly a Schmacher, but a great team.

How they gonna reduce costs??

They could make everything out of wood.... wouldn't stop ferrari running simulations and research on it. How can they stop people from researching??

Defending F1 a little, they tried banning traction control and it increased cost, because the teams could program ECU to have traction control, and it would be too hard to detect the modification.

Get rid of ecu's all together. Carby run cars I say! Works for NASCAR.

In V8 supercars they brought in control tyres amoung other things to bring down costs. Why doesn't F1 do stuff like that?

So what does everyone think of the new rules that have been implemented for this season? i.e. one set of tyres for a race meet, and one engine that has to last for two meets.

Personally, I think besides the engine rule the new package is pretty good. The engine rule is a bit of a laugh, one weekend was understandable but two weekends is just stupid.

But I'm 100% against the new qualifying system. I absolutely hate aggreviated times. What's the point of watching saturday qualifying, if you can't even see the grid order after the session? And how many TV companies are going to show sunday's qualifying, when they are already showing 2 hours of GP? The new system is hard to follow, tough for TV broadcasters and still boring because there's only one car at the time on the fast lap. Utterly useless.

Last night the rain made it a bit more interesting, but it will most likely be the most interesting qualifying session of the whole season. At least it should provide an interesting race tomorrow morning.

After the completion of todays GP, I must say, I am all for the new rule changes. They do seem to make it more intresting for the viewers, and I'm amazed at how good the tyres lasted for the whole race. We'll have to wait for the Malaysian race to see how the new engine rules go though.

And how many TV companies are going to show sunday's qualifying, when they are already showing 2 hours of GP?

ummm out of our 5 free to air channels in australia. Channel Ten ran coverage of the entire day saturday and sunday... every session shown.

Good to see webber is up there!