Clarkson's "lady area" t-shirt causes problems

She made male homosexuality illegal but not female as she couldn't imagine what two women would do together.

Stephen Fry would disagree with you. I'd post the relevant QI clip but YouTube is failing me.

I'm not middle-aged yet and I quit wearing T-shirts years ago. Sadly, I still have no sense fashion.

I may be imagining this, but I found that "cunt" is a more shocking word in America than in the UK, where people don't really care. At least that was my experience. I wouldn't look twice at a guy with a "CUNT" t-shirt.

Good story though - Sony has made bigger PR fuckups than putting a picture like that out as promotional material, so I wouldn't rule it out.
Yeah. Calling a woman a cunt here is going nuclear.

Actually the word was in common usage and perfectly acceptable until Queen Victoria objected to it for some reason. For someone with so many children she was a right prude that one, and a naive one at that. She made male homosexuality illegal but not female as she couldn't imagine what two women would do together. Imagine that: all those kids and 60-odd years on the throne and probably never had an orgasm in her life!

There are a number of women, Germaine Greer being the one the first comes to mind, who want to reclaim the word for their own use rather than have their genitalia hijacked as an extreme insult. I've had a couple of girlriends in the past who referred to their vaginas as their "cunt".
Maybe she was just banning things because it just made them more naughty, and that turned her on. I bet she was right freaky in the bedroom. Though, given her portrait, I don't want to think about it.

I may be imagining this, but I found that "cunt" is a more shocking word in America than in the UK, where people don't really care. At least that was my experience. I wouldn't look twice at a guy with a "CUNT" t-shirt.

It's highly unacceptable in Canada too. As a matter of fact, both my mom and my girlfriend insisted in smacking me upside the head for calling Brock lesnar a "stupid WWE cunt" after the UFC last night. It's like THE word you don't say, well that and the N word. Oh and that K word for jewish people... and that S word for Latinos. Wow, we're prudes.

I think it's used differently, here and in Aus it seems more common to call a man a cunt, often endearingly - kinda like "he's a good cunt" or "silly cunt" and the like. We don't use it very often when referring to women, well I don't anyway.

Well, I live in one of the most prudish parts of the US so I have to agree. I'm so un-used to the word that it took me several hours to even realize what the shirt said in the picture last week. Here though, you'll draw dirty looks if you say damn and hell so anything stronger is most taboo.

You virtually never hear it applied to a woman here. To me, and I'm probably in the minority on this, it would seem daft to refer to a woman as her own genitalia. Calling a bloke a cunt seems far more insulting. I think I'd be more surprised than insulted if someone called me a cunt.

Then again, blokes are funny like that. They call each other things like 'cock', 'dick' and 'knob' as well, and working on that logic, they wouldn't. You don't generally hear those words applied to women as an insult either (though admittedly, one of my female friends, in connection with another female friend, did come out with, "Jesus, when did she turn into such a knob," so it does happen).

On the subject of lesbianism and the law though, male homosexuality has historically been tied up with the act of sodomy in British law (which was, at least until recently, also against the law for consenting heterosexual couples). Obviously, this doesn't apply to two women, who are biologically incapable of carrying out the act concerned (artificial means aside), and this is probably why lesbianism has not been subject to the same stricture over the last couple of hundred years.

The law has been equalised a lot in the last few decades though. Things have changed an awful lot in my lifetime, and I'm only 36.

I did like Jeremy's t-shirt though :D

behahahah great story. Can't believe he took a pics with those japanese guys in that shirt.. JC FTW.

Did you even bother reading the article?

Well, I'm pretty sure that's what he said in the videos off the website... But I haven't watched it in a few days... I read part of the article. I've been quite busy this weekend, so I just kinda skimmed it when I had a minute.

It's highly unacceptable in Canada too. As a matter of fact, both my mom and my girlfriend insisted in smacking me upside the head for calling Brock lesnar a "stupid WWE cunt" after the UFC last night. It's like THE word you don't say, well that and the N word. Oh and that K word for jewish people... and that S word for Latinos. Wow, we're prudes.

What is the S-word?

What is the S-word?

That would be 'spic' a sort of re-arrangement of the word Hispanic. Not particularly nice.

Course you've never seen women fight until one Latina calls another a 'puta'

Spicy is in Texas and would agree I am sure.

He should wear that shirt if he ever goes to meet Gordon Brown.
Oh, and those talking about Victoria, she was a constitutional monarch with no legislative powers, much like the Queen today. Watch that QI link.

If I said the dreaded C word in front of any of my family I would get a smack in the face! My mother would probably punch me! :lol:

I never use the dreaded C word in any sort of situation than I can help, and when I do its generaly around people who use it on a regular basis, so you can't cause offence.

Its up on list of words I rarely use, although must be the least frequently used too. Last time I called anyone the C word was when I lost my temper, also tried to smack said person in the face with a keyboard.
That shows how riled up I have to be to actually say it!

That would be 'spic' a sort of re-arrangement of the word Hispanic. Not particularly nice.

Course you've never seen women fight until one Latina calls another a 'puta'

Spicy is in Texas and would agree I am sure.

I actually couldn't register "spicysaurus" as my Xbox Live username because it contains "spic". How dumb is that?

And although I live in Texas, I can't say that I've ever seen a Mexican chick-fight. Maybe I haven't been going to the right places?

(Also, in Texas, Hispanic is a word only white people use. Everybody else just calls each other whatever they are: Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, etc.)

Weirdly enough, I find the word less objectionable when I hear it coming from a Brit's mouth rather than someone from North America. Then again, I was born in the UK, still have relatives there, so I do understand the context from both sides of the pond.