Autoblog: Class action suit alleges BMW N54 turbo engine unsafe, causes Unintended Deceleration

That was because MY2007 335s weren't fitted with an oil cooler as standard - a baffling decision by BMW to say the least, but no fault of the engine itself.

Wow. Good work BMW.

Last edited:
http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/bmw-admits-fuel-pump-flaw-turbo-cars/story?id=11968495&page=1

Good to know sensationalism is alive and well. "My life could have been at risk because the car went into limp mode and slowed down!!!!!!111onetwo". I would blame them for being idiots, but this looks more like a money grab.
+ 1
Funny how the engineering VP has to play along and not tell the truth that people are just after their money.
I agree that they should take care of the issue and design a fuel pump that works on US fuels. But unsafe? That's just ridiculous.

One problem with that theory is that German owners, who presumably aren't using US fuels, are having the same problem. Jalopnik had an article on it this morning.

http://jalopnik.com/5673591/how-fan...paign=12164151b0-UA-142218-9&utm_medium=email

While, true, the plaintiffs may be after BMW's money, more and more it seems the only way to get BMW to even admit that there is a problem let alone fix it is to sue them (and thereby get mass media attention). See the Nikasil issues, for example.

Last edited:
One problem with that theory is that German owners, who presumably aren't using US fuels, are having the same problem. Jalopnik had an article on it this morning.

http://jalopnik.com/5673591/how-fan...paign=12164151b0-UA-142218-9&utm_medium=email

While, true, the plaintiffs may be after BMW's money, more and more it seems the only way to get BMW to even admit that there is a problem let alone fix it is to sue them (and thereby get mass media attention). See the Nikasil issues, for example.

At least BMW acknowledged and fixed the Nikasil issue...

I nominate Chris Cuomo for the douche of the year award. You don't even need to hear him talk to figure this out.

Last edited:
At least BMW acknowledged and fixed the Nikasil issue...

Yeah, and we know Jaguar didn't... but BMW owners were far more vociferous and ended up suing repeatedly before BMW ever acknowledged a problem. I don't remember anyone actually getting to court with Jaguar - though that may have been the then-parent company Ford's doing, as Jaguar used to be pretty responsive to such issues. So call it hit-or-miss for them.

BMW, though... I can't recall any time when BMW wasn't arrogant towards their customers and didn't pretend that their engineers made no mistakes. (See: E32, M3 engines grenading, SMG I not working) In fact, I think it's a complete and unbroken track record of "blame the customer first because our engineering is always perfect" for the last thirty years at BMW.

Last edited:
Well then I'm just waiting when my fuel pump goes. :D
I have 20 000 miles at the moment so my pump seems quite durable compared to those in the US.
I have experienced two tune related limp modes. The first one was a misfire because of a bad plug or a coil. The tune is quite picky on those.
The second one was a bad connection between the tune and the ECU. Reinstalling the tune fixed that.
Thank god I'm still alive.

BMW, though... I can't recall any time when BMW wasn't arrogant towards their customers and didn't pretend that their engineers made no mistakes. (See: E32, M3 engines grenading, SMG I not working) In fact, I think it's a complete and unbroken track record of "blame the customer first because our engineering is always perfect" for the last thirty years at BMW.

Sadly, that sounds exactly like Nissan's stance on the GTR's transmission problems.
There are plenty of car manufacturers who'd be better off after eating a nice helping of humble pie.