Classic or Crock

MWF

Now needs wood
Car(s)
MX-5 1.8i Indiana SE, update pending
Since Andeh started a thread today asking "what defines a classic?" I thought it might make for an interesting game.

It's like the Cool Wall - the car doesn't have to be good, you just need to judge whether it should be a classic or not.

1. Post a "Classic"
2. Best of three votes decides.
3. Poster of each car chooses a nominee to post the next "classic" based on the argument in their vote.

Simples.

Anyway I hereby kick off with....

the NSU Ro80

50d13c8308509415c37834cc3f85792d.jpg

Classic, because design ahead of its time combined with a Wankel engine that was also its death due to "awesome but fragile" methodology.

Last edited:
Total classic. If there was such a things as a tragic hero in the car world, that would be it.

Reactions: MWF
A tough one to call as both answers are awesome but by a hair's breadth it's LCG to post his SAAB nomination.

I'm going to do a test of how a cult car fares when judged as a classic: the last-generation Toyota Cressida.
zetuulo63dysmumxvsd4.jpg

The last straight-six RWD sedan from Toyota (in the US at least, where Lexus took over that type of car). Classic?

Classic. Because straight six - RWD. Also, it represented the pinnacle of old school Toyota quality/fit & finish in the US, at least when it came to sedans.

I'd like to see more opinions in this; if classic car standards were immigration policies, Rick would be open borders and Andeh would be extreme vetting.

I'm going to do a test of how a cult car fares when judged as a classic: the last-generation Toyota Cressida.
zetuulo63dysmumxvsd4.jpg

The last straight-six RWD sedan from Toyota (in the US at least, where Lexus took over that type of car). Classic?

Technically, the car pictured is the second to last, the generation of Cressida that succeeded it was the last.

That said, I think it's a classic. It contributed a lot to where Toyota is in the US market today.

I get the feeling this would be divided by region, as the Americans all declare it a classic. LeVeL's seemingly hyperbolic but rather apt M5 comparison gives him the win. Your turn.

Easily a classic.

I guess my taste in cars is closer to Americans than European. :rolleyes:

I get the feeling this would be divided by region, as the Americans all declare it a classic. LeVeL's seemingly hyperbolic but rather apt M5 comparison gives him the win. Your turn.
Whoo!

Dodge Magnum SRT8. It's a RWD station wagon with a 6.1L 425hp V8. Because Murica. And because no one needs one. Only about 4,130 were produced.

Rare? Yes.
Desirable? Questionable.
Classic? You decide.

100_0076.jpg

100_0078.jpg

Holy shit yes that's a future classic.

Future classic for sure. America used to be home of the station wagon. Detroit couldn't pump them out fast enough, in any configuration. You had the Dodge Polaras, Chevrolet Kingswoods, Ford Country Squires, Pontiac Safaris, AMC Ramblers, Chrysler New-Yorker, Mercury Colony Park Wagon, and dozens more. Every family had one. Kids grew up in the back seats asking "are we there yet?" Then the SUV came along and the American family abandoned the wagon, kids started staring into their smart phones instead of playing roadtrip games. The Magnum was the last real hurrah for the American wagon, a connection to the past. Especially in SRT guise, it called back to all those who fondly remembered their old 440s and 429SCJ powered family longroofs.

This is a commercial for the Dodge Viper, but they could've easily made the same message for the Magnum SRT8, especially with the first clip.

Last edited:
Wooo!

281rhxj.jpg

Volvo 480