"Client Version is banned" error

well... I'm on a dedicated linux server and it would be hard to install another client as a normal user :). Do you know where in the BitTorrent mainclient files that I can find the version string and change it to another?

otherwise, it might be my version of Python, because I know that BitTorrent doesn't like versions less than 2.4, and I'm running 2.2. Maybe I'll get the owner to upgrade it.

Using torrentflux 1.5 here, and I'm getting an error saying that my client is banned + out of date. Searched here, and found that you restricted the version of torrent flux to < 1.2.2.

Whats the dealio?

Hey guys, I'm having a problem with BitTorrent 4.0.1 on Linux - tells me server rejected the client version. This is the latest version of the Linux client. If that is banned, what is the alternative?

kay said:
Hey guys, I'm having a problem with BitTorrent 4.0.1 on Linux - tells me server rejected the client version. This is the latest version of the Linux client. If that is banned, what is the alternative?
read the post on top of this page...

Revenant.Eagle said:
Using torrentflux 1.5 here, and I'm getting an error saying that my client is banned + out of date. Searched here, and found that you restricted the version of torrent flux to < 1.2.2.

Whats the dealio?
perhaps you should try to update python as well?

*kicks the silly old BT clients that waste bandwidth*

Anyone else having a problem with G3 Torrent 1.01a? Its not exactly old or known to be a trouble maker for trackers yet its banned...
Oh well, I normally share a "few" gigs off my 100mbit connection but now that I can't, someone else can. :(

vellanet said:
Anyone else having a problem with G3 Torrent 1.01a? Its not exactly old or known to be a trouble maker for trackers yet its banned...
Oh well, I normally share a "few" gigs off my 100mbit connection but now that I can't, someone else can. :(
im sorry to hear that but i cant manually unban specific clients, its either the whole package being banned or none at all.
Today i have been using my maximum upload or close to it, so unbanning any bandwith-wasting client is not an option...

and what is the big deal about using another client?

For all the peeps out there on Ubuntu, just FYI the Gnome bit torrent won't work that comes installed with the OS, but you can use synaptic to install QTorrent... not only does it work, it offers lots of nifty little settings to tweak as well.

Current download speed around 400k/s :D

For those trying to run the latest official bittorrent client on linux (currently 4.0.2), it seems that python issues can cause the error. I can't change the python ver on my machine, so instead, I have changed to BitTornado.

It gives me the same interface (btlaunchmanycurses.py), but I don't get the version error, and it says it has more options than the official client (haven't seen them yet, though).

You can either download the src for BitTornado from http://www.bittornado.com/download.html, and run 'python setup.py bdist' to create a tar.gz, or (as I did), download the mandrake src.rpm from cooker and rpmbuild --rebuild BitTornado-0.3.12-1mdk.src.rpm.

the rpm conflicts with the official client rpm, so you will have to remove that first before installing the bittornado rpm.

All my current downloads and seeds are running fine after the change. And I can get stuff from finalgear.com now as well :thumbsup: . Still running python ver 2.2

BitComet 0.61 [Jan 10, 2006]

BitComet 0.61 [Jan 10, 2006]

Date: Jan 10, 2006
Size: 3,030KB

Release Notes:
v0.61 2006.1.10

GUI Improved: enhance BCTP link command to lunch preview window
GUI Improved: support xp themes in the embedded browser
GUI Improved: no longer popup script error message in the embedded browser
GUI Bugfix: Possible buffer overflow when opening URL link using external browser. (Thanks Fortinet Security Research)
GUI Bugfix: the clip board can work in some user interface
Core Improved: support wmv/asf file in the preview window
Core Bugfix: fix the bug that DHT is added for the 'private' torrent after task begins
Core Bugfix: fix the bug that UDP port mapping is not released when bitcomet exit

BitComet 0.61 Torrent || Download

I personally think all versions of BitComet should be banned. This is why, stolen off a private tracker I belong to:

OK, most of you are wondering if the BitComet ban will be lifted here, and the answer is no, and it will most likely never be unbanned here.

Most of you think BitComet is "faster" than other clients, but what u don't know is the reason why.

The reason why is because of its countless "cheating like" characteristics, for example:
  • it hamers the tracker, and pays no attention to the tracker when it tells the client how long to wait before re-announce.
  • when it gets snubed by another peer (basically meaning the peer refuses to give the BC client any upload because it has not been given any download from the BC client, the BC client then disconnects up to 10+ times per second to that client in an attempt to get unsnubed.
  • It has no (working) upload slot limit, so it makes the upload bandwith so streached out that each peer only gets a few 100 bytes per second or less.
  • The new encrypt header feature in BC 0.60 gave it a very unfair advantage and would basically prefer itself over uploading to other tpyes of clients. (afaik, uTorrent is working on a similar feature, but will be making it public information, so that all other clients can implement it if their authours wish to; this is the only real way for this to be effective)
  • If you request too many pieces from it (something around 100? or so), it drops ALL your requests.
  • It also abuses super-seeding by disconnecting and reconnecting to get a slot, and basically monopolize the super-seeder's bandwidth.
  • It has an abusive multi-tracker implementation (announces to all trackers in all tier always).
  • It also does stupid things when making torrents (such as not use UTF-8 as the encoding for chinese, japanese, and korean users that make torrents)

The truth of the matter is, BitComet is faster, because it makes ALL other clients slow by the reasons i listed and more; the whole BitTorrent community would be a lot better off if everyone banned BitComet.

And as a final note, the BitComet developers have known about this issue for months now, and are only now just releaseing BC 0.61 which still does have some very minor DHT leak bugs, and crashes on many systems.
It's basically one big cheat client.

so is BC v.70 banned also ?? i dont update cuz the new versions doesn't support pause and resuming ..

and do u guys have a Mirc?? ch?? that would be great

January 11th, 2006, 08:25 AM

Yes, bitcomet is banned.

Use a decent, non-cheating client. ;)