Cloud storage services

NecroJoe

Stool Chef
Car(s)
2015 Mazda 3 S GT, 2015 VW e-Golf
The main topic of discussion: Who do y'all use, and why?

I'm hoping to pull the trigger on one by tomorrow, and an having a bit of the option paralysis, as it doesn't *seem* like any of them have all of the seemingly basic features I'd want.

If anyone has any recommendations, I'd love:
  • At least 2TB storage, more would be great, but $99/year is likely our max budget
  • Ideally all files could be accessible by two different users, otherwise we'll need to create a special shared email/account for the two of us, which is annoying...maybe I'm overthinking it? Maybe this isn't really an issue because of something simple that my idiot brain isn't thinking of.
  • Ideally each user could create a secure personal secure "locker" that requires an additional layer of secure log-in, but that's not a deal breaker.
  • Some sort of auto-back-up functionality, where I can tag folders on my desktop Windows PC, and have it just keep those folders always synced into the cloud, even if it's just a once-a-day automatic thing (as long as I can manually trigger one).
  • It would be cool if there were some sort of music playlist streaming functionality, but that's not a deal breaker.
  • Automatic FULL RESOLUTION photo syncing from mobile device, especially if two devices (her phone and my phone) could sync to two different folders
What I don't need:
  • I don't need to work on files that are only stored online. Everything will have local copies.
  • Sharing files isn't a big deal

The two (maybe 3) options I'm looking at are Google Drive, Microsoft Onedrive, and pCloud
  • Google drive
    • 2TB for $99/yr.
    • In my limited experienced with it, it feels a little clunky, and photo syncing from phone is very spotty.
  • Microsoft OneDrive
    • I like how it's pretty well integrated into windows, and the web access and mobile apps seem pretty good
    • They don't have 2TB...only 1TB for $69.99 per user. They do have a 6TB for $99, 1 TB per user, which seems a bit annoying
  • pCloud
    • Switzerland, so in theory there're more robust security/consumer protection standards
    • Lifetime of 2TB for a one-time fee of $350, so in 4 years we'd be ahead of Google and MS, and then "free" from then on.
Not including DropBox for personal reasons....hate the interface, and hated working on their projects as a vendor. :ROFLMAO:

Running a weird combination because of reasons of MS365 and an iCloud subscription here - but the latter is more due to us both using iPhones, Apple Music, tv+ Yaddayadda…

365 i rather like because of the family sharing aspect on top of what you already mentioned. Plus, since we use it all at work, it’s very easy for me to quickly switch over to private stuff there if I ever need to. Tbh we don’t really need all the space, we only put certain documents and pictures up online. It mostly just works, can’t complain. Only OneNote is a bloody backwards POS and needs to be rebuilt completely. Sharing mostly also just works (I only ever use the open link kind).

Notes from your list:
- music: no dice AFAIK
- secure locker: yes.
- files shared: will need to be set up, may be fiddle at first…

Just use iCloud.

Might be worth keeping an eye on proton their cloud storage is in beta.

Just use iCloud.

It's the most expensive by 20%, and none of us have any apple devices, so there's no baked-in ecosystem benefits. Were there any worthwhile features that would make the cost worthwhile for exclusively Windows and Android users?

Currently, their pricing is the same as Apple's (20% more than Google or Microsoft) for 1/4 of the space.

Were there any worthwhile features that would make the cost worthwhile for exclusively Windows and Android users?
I only have iPhone and iPad, but my PC is windows - and this combination already annoys me… (so much that I use Onedrive for photos). So I’d say without Apple devices at all: definitely don’t go iCloud 🤷‍♂️

Just use iCloud.

Currently, their pricing is the same as Apple's (20% more than Google or Microsoft) for 1/4 of the space.
Sorry, left out the 'I', I just use iCloud.

Proton also has bundles with VPN and secure private email.