Cobalt SS, Impala SS, Pontiac G8. major problems?

in case anyone still cares, i'm not considering any of these cars anymore. G8 is WAY out of my budget, Impala is a shitty car and insuring a 19yo male on a car with a supercharged or turbocharged engine will not be cheap. im looking at a regular cobalt or 6th or 7th gen civic (2001 to now). i'm really just looking for a small car, good gas milage, manual transmission and a decent selection of aftermarket parts

Supercharged 04 Grand Prix GTP CompG was the same to insure as a 2002 Olds Alero Coupe with a manual and 4 banger. Explain that. I asked the insurance company and they said "It is a sedan, cheaper to insure. Coupes are sport cars."

Supercharged 04 Grand Prix GTP CompG was the same to insure as a 2002 Olds Alero Coupe with a manual and 4 banger. Explain that. I asked the insurance company and they said "It is a sedan, cheaper to insure. Coupes are sport cars."

Cough *300E/190E* Cough

Get a crown vic PI. 3 points on your license and it still only costs something like $500/yr for insurance

I think age might be a factor on the insurance as much as the car there, in both cases. Needless to say, as things sit now my Grand Prix costs more to insure than the Mustang, because of those whole supercharged business. Of course, I could swap out the engine in the Mustang with say a blown 428 CobraJet and the insurance wouldn't change because to the insurance company it originally had a 302 so that's what it has. :lol:

in case anyone still cares, i'm not considering any of these cars anymore. G8 is WAY out of my budget, Impala is a shitty car and insuring a 19yo male on a car with a supercharged or turbocharged engine will not be cheap. im looking at a regular cobalt or 6th or 7th gen civic (2001 to now). i'm really just looking for a small car, good gas milage, manual transmission and a decent selection of aftermarket parts

If you must get a Cobalt/G5...its better to buy used since they depreciate at a ridiculous rate, most of our Cobalts and G5s that get damaged are more likely to be written off than say a smaller Yaris. The ignition cylinder seems to wear out as they age, so don't be surprised if the key can't turn over. Build quality on these cars also vary...some are built well...others are built very poorly. Aside from that...its pretty generic.

I'd suggest an old Mazda 3 or a Protege instead.

Yeah, my brother drives a G5 that he bought for something like $8000 with less than 30,000 kms. After a lot of driving in my mom's cobalt I'm 100% sure I wouldn't do the same. Very generic and how you say... soul-less

Cobalt/G5's aren't soulless - they actually have negative soul as they suck some of yours out every time you drive them. :p

Hmm... Cobalt or (US) Focus? Cobalt or Dodge Caliber? Heh, I'd probably go with the Cobalt if I'm honest. I'd probably take a Cobalt over a new Corolla or Sentra as well. A Civic would be the better choice, since it's at least reliable and very fuel efficient, even if it is boring as hell. A Mazda3 would also be a nice option. The Korean makes offer some decent ecoboxes, but I dare say they have even worse depreciation then US domestics. You could get a Jetta or Golf, but because we get the Mexico built VW's, it's like playing the lottery; you just might win, but you'll probably lose. :p

Quick, There's a Grand National on Kijiji in Windsor for $15 000CAD or best offer!

http://detroit.kijiji.com/c-Cars-ve...tional-Best-Offer-or-Trade-W0QQAdIdZ161835193

DO IT.

This was the cheapest G8 I could find.
http://detroit.kijiji.com/c-Cars-ve...iac-G8-MI-Michigan-Detroit-W0QQAdIdZ161058681

Anyhow, you seem to like the Impala SS and whatnot: the best of the FWD 'monsters' put out by the general wore the arrowhead, the Grand Prix GXP (same 5.3 as in the Impala)

or, you have several choices for the 3800S/C or N/A motored ones.
Grand Prix GTP (the previous gen ones are more fun to drive than the current gen as they don't have drive by wire)
Buick Regal (You want police stealth?)
Bonnneville SSEI (more distinctive and sharp styling than the Grand Prix, but a bit heavier and more luxurious.)

Cobalt/G5's aren't soulless - they actually have negative soul as they suck some of yours out every time you drive them. :p
Oh dear...at this point I'm probably doomed...I've driven thousands of the things, heck today it was at least 10. :p

Then you look at the Mercedes 190E 2.6 and discover that it makes about the same power while weighing less and is RWD to boot.

Then you look at the Mercedes 190E 2.6 and discover that it makes about the same power while weighing less and is RWD to boot.

The only issue I have with the 2.6 is that it's a SOHC 2V (waste of space) and has nowhere to go in terms of power adders due to the restrictive heads.

Crown Vic 1

Relatively cheap. You would have to learn how to work around with that engine though. stuff tends to die around 110k miles.

Last edited: