• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Codec Problems

didlin

Hey guys,

Well this all started tonight when my girlfriend had to use my computer and she installed her webcam to talk to her mother over MSN. Needless to say now whenever i goto play TG or any other video (Divx/Xvid/Mpeg etc.) The gama/brightness/contrast all seem like they are cranked through the roof and i cant for the life of me figure out how to get them back to normal. Its only my videos that its effect so im assuming this is a codec problem. I've uninstalled all my codecs and ive uninstalled the webcam but the problem wont go away and its really driving me nuts!! Does anyone happen to have an idea what might be going on?

Which prog are you using to play stuff? As long as it plays, the codecs should be fine...

Try the options concerning those settings in your playback software...

A nice try would be Videolan client, as it has built in codecs... Or try Bsplayer, because you can change the filter settings for the codec in that...

Buba

Buba said:
Which prog are you using to play stuff? As long as it plays, the codecs should be fine...

Try the options concerning those settings in your playback software...

A nice try would be Videolan client, as it has built in codecs... Or try Bsplayer, because you can change the filter settings for the codec in that...

Buba

I installed Videolan and the first time i ran it, it ran my videos fine. but i restarted my computer and now its doing the same thing with the Gamma and Brightness being really high only in the video. I played with it abit and when i enabled "Image Clone" in the extended GUI option. the video that it plays in VLC Hardware YUV DirectX Output. Plays normal but the video in the main player video is still screwed up.

TechZ said:
Check in the Video Card settings as well

Display Properties-->Settings-->Advanced

Dont know what card you have, but its there all right.

Sorry i should have mentioned. I have a Geforce 6800GT OC. I went into the display properties like you said, and when i adjusted the gamma or brightness the video playing in Media Player and WinDVD still stayed with its current bad gamma/brightness setting and only my desktop changed gamma and brightness settings.

I wish i knew more about this stuff.

Well guys thanks for the help. I did a bit more playing and i figured it out. I re-installled the webcam, and it changed the gamma settings automatically so i turned them back to default and now everything is normal. Thanks for the help guys :)

I actually have the same problem.

However I just recently installed the new nVidia drivers for my FX5600.

Trying to fix it atm, I'll report back when I have figured it out

TechZ said:
Check in the Video Card settings as well

Display Properties-->Settings-->Advanced

Dont know what card you have, but its there all right.

Same result as didlin, only the the desktop and stuff changes gama and colour, the video stays the same...

This problem applies to almost any video file i open (including MPEG) with both Windows Media Player or Real Player

recently installed new videocard drivers? try the previous ones then.