Codemasters' Formula One 2010

I?m not sure i want the Dirt2/Grid Engine for a F1 game , it?s a bit to slipery to work properly in a F1 game ...

I do hope we get some proper physics in this game. However, having played a bit of both GRID and DIRT, I'm not too optimistic. I want a simulator, not some kind of arcade-crap.

I do hope we get some proper physics in this game. However, having played a bit of both GRID and DIRT, I'm not too optimistic. I want a simulator, not some kind of arcade-crap.

At this point I'm just happy I'm going to get the chance to play a new Formula One game.

The only way I will be terribly disappointed and not buy it is if it's roughly as bad as the Moto GP 09/10 demo that just came out from Capcom. That is probably the worst motorcycle game I have EVER played.

The problem with Dirt 2 was its presentation (Dude bro that rally you just did was hella sick yo), and it's lack of rallying/hillclimbing. I didn't have any problems with how the game handled.

I can understand people wanting a realistic sim over a more arcadey game but I think that Codemasters will strike the right balance between the two. Personally, I've always become bored with F1 sims because of how stale they feelto me and I'm looking forward to a new take on the genre. I also think the inclusion of management is a superb move because in F1, perhaps more than any other sport, rule changes, team/driver relationships and politics provide as much interest and intrigue as the racing itself, if not more at times.

Supposition: maybe safety car periods will be included, just not as a player-controlled deal. Maybe the AI will take over, the game will show a few images of the cars running around the track while it updates you on the placing (like we see on TV), or maybe even show a replay of the wreck that caused the yellow. After a short delay (10, 20 seconds?) the game/race would re-start. Recon laps could be similar.

Because lets be honest, following a safety car and gridding up after a recon lap is out of the range of many gamers capabilities.

If it's anything like DiRT2, it's gonna be pretty boring.

the news and impressions coming out of the event this evening in London though are positive. i actually thing it could be a pretty decent game.

220 MPH at Monza? Sigh.

What? Maybe they were running with so little wing there actually WAS no wing.

You saw how shittily it took the first chicaine...

:p

amazing graphics, game play looks rather shit.

Anyone know what track this is from? I don't recognize it. The driver's hands are soooo low poly.

codemastersf12010-41.jpg

Anyway, there's another preview that answers a lot of questions:

Simracingworld.com

Keybits:

* Aim was to create a truly authentic racing experience. There is an evolving race strategy (the strategy in race can change from your pre-defined strategy agreed with your team before the race start), and car handling will be ?authentic, predictable and consistent with the car behaving as the player expects?. He prefers not to talk about sim v arcade in purist terms.

* Engine management & wing adjust will also feature with the driver being able to adjust fuel mix and engine rev limits as well as being able to adjust the wings. However, the driver is only allowed 8 engines in a season so you will have to be careful not to ruin your engine in one race by pushing it too hard.

* The rain effects also vary track by track (you will never see a monsoon at Bahrain for example).

* Whilst you will be able to choose what settings you want to make the game more arcade or sim-like, the game will open with you being interviewed by members of the press who will ask you questions and the answers will determine initial game settings.

* Limited development for F1 2011 has already started, and there will be no DLC packs for F1 2010 as this would divert resource from F1 2011.

* Throughout the event I constantly heard references to ?F1CE? - that is ?Formula One Championship Edition? the last F1 game on the PC from EA Sports, it seems that this has been used as some sort of internal benchmark to beat in every aspect. They claimed to me when I probed them about features ?it?s better than in F1CE? etc. This is a good sign!

*You cannot steer the car in the pit lane (due to FOM regulations about running over pit crews apparently!) but it is up to you to hit the rev limiter and to brake into the box.

* If you overshoot the box you will knock down the jack man. If you stop too short the pit crew have to re-adjust their positioning (all motion captured) and it will cost you time.

* Force India assisted in motion capturing the pit stop.

* Pit radio will be included. Your race engineer will talk to you throughout the race and before you enter the pits.

* The career mode will feature 7 seasons. I don?t think the 2009 season cars etc will be included.

* The F1 2011 game will have some interesting features that will expand on the career mode and results achieved in F1 2010 (but they cannot say specifically what this is yet)

* The cars will not deform (like in DIRT or GRID) but will shatter like true carbon fibre.

* The tracks have been developed using CAD data from the circuit owners and designers.

* Unfortunately given the game was in arcade mode it is too early to tell how good the physics are, but I must say the gameplay videos we saw looked more promising than the arcade mode we were allowed to play. The Codemasters team state that they have worked very hard to cater for arcade and sim fans alike and judging by some of the features confirmed in this section I think there is a lot to back this up.

The bit about CAD data is comforting.

Last edited:
Anyone know what track this is from? I don't recognize it. The driver's hands are soooo low poly.

Looks like it could be Melbourne

Looks like something I could have fun with for about a week. Having said that, if GT5P shows up before then (though I doubt it :lol:), I'll probably be busy with that.

Ahh GPW, I have fond memories of that game :).

^ Probaby my single favourite PC game ever. I still play it! I'm going to go hunt for a screencap real quick... hold on...

Ahhh, here it is.

So me and my best friend had a small competition with each other, and here's the screenshot of my result :p

http://img151.imageshack.**/img151/444/5wcwithminardi.jpg

Blech.......I really really hate that sepia tone motion blur BS that Codemasters insists on doing in their games. Its like every Youtube car video now, with blown out Green Tint to make it "artsy". Hope that is something you can turn off. I knew it was gonna happen when Codemasters got the contract for the game though. Was hoping they toned it down some, but doesn't look like it.

JH