Codemasters' Formula One 2010

I can press the brake pretty hard if I want to. No matter how hard I push the load cell, no lockup.

Check your settings. I've locked up plenty in the hour I've played it so far. I also have no input lag whatsoever with a G25 on the PC.

Edit: So far I'm loving the game. I've only got up to the end of quali at Bahrain, but I love the handling. My biggest gripe is that it is quite easy. I shouldn't be able to get pole position by over 4 seconds in a Lotus after only playing the game for about an hour. That was with the AI set to medium and all aids off. It wasn't even a good lap. I'm going to have to crank the AI up to either the top or one down to put me back to a realistic place in the grid.

Last edited:
I have my force feedback settings at something that feels most realistic. (weight 0, environment 20, force default), and steering linearity 50% (dead linear). Other than that, not much I can do. Turbo S on Xbox. Even with brake saturation at 100% still no go on lockup.

I've never seen lockup in any video (in the dry, unsure about wet). If you can do it I wanna see it.

Also, LOL penalties. 5 grid spots for crashing once in practice? Come on.

Yeah the stewards are fucking retards.

But Madcat I agree with Buba. I can lock up pretty easy (to the point where at bahrain I set my brake pressure to medium initially).
I have no steering lag (check your deadzone - I have mine set to 0)
I thought feedback was a little too intense (I could smell my g27's motor after prac, qualy and race) so I turned it down from the default settings (50 100 50 or whatever it is) back to something normal. I think I just changed the wheel weight though.

I have to say that AI is retarded though and at Bahrain I have a feeling that because of that new section they haven't gotten a properly fast lap from a pro yet or something because even on the hardest AI setting I whoop their ass on the twisty bit.
At Australia though I qualified 23rd (ouch) I guess that'll have to be re-done as a long race weekend so I can actually qualify above the bottom row.

I lock up quite quickly actually. The first turn in China is a nightmare since its a long uphill right hander on which you have to be progressively braking harder and harder, it's very easy to lock up and go straight ahead into the gravel (with my shitty set of wheel and pedals, it's very hard to modulate your braking)

I'll make a video of locking up tomorrow.

Also, maybe you forgot to disable ABS under driver aids?

I can quite easily lock up. Here is 2 lock ups on Spa. Yes the first one I was trying to turn as well, but the second one is from 217mph going straight on.
I'm quite enjoying the game. The level from Hard/Pro/whatever it is, to Legendary is to big though in my opinion. If i'm on Pro I can win races with Virgin Racing. By quite a margin too at times. I out qualified Red Bull by over a second. Seems silly. But then if I go to Legendary it's a real challenge to not be on the back row. Which is fine, but quite demoralizing lol.

Other thoughts is a lot of the time when I'm trying to join an online race, if it's custom, I get connection problems. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Quick race works fine however.

This game is terrible. Massive input lag, no feedback in the steering whatsoever, absolutely canned oversteer, inability to lock wheels, laughable pit lane behavior, idiotic AI...

Turn off ABS? :p

Im not the worlds greatest F1 Fan so considering that fact and my poor old PC, I decided to "demo" this game. And my its good! The little details you see are amazing. I normally don't care for F1 at all but this game has made me interested in it. Well at least interested enough so I play the game :p I think Codemasters have mastered the balance between arcade and simulation.
And is anyone in love with the soundtrack?

The second one was bupkis too because you didn't lock until all your aero was gone. You were going at least less than 60. No offense but you have to be pretty stupid with your brake pedal to lock while turning. Trail braking almost never uses the entire capacity of the front tire in addition to cornering - the purpose is rotation, not slowing.

A real Formula 1 car has no trouble locking one or both wheels from any speed. You just have to press the pedal hard enough (which is easy to do because they are assisted). You can't do that in this game.

Turn off ABS? :p
First thing I did.

EDIT: More testing.

Brake pressure high, in the F10 in time trial at Monza. Aero default.

Braking full on from 200 MPH, wheels lock at 55.

If I put half the car on the grass and brake, both front wheels lock at 100.

I know, I know, bumps can cause lockups before you'd see them normally, but it's quite regular.

Last edited:
The second one was bupkis too because you didn't lock until all your aero was gone. You were going at least less than 60. No offense but you have to be pretty stupid with your brake pedal to lock while turning. Trail braking almost never uses the entire capacity of the front tire in addition to cornering - the purpose is rotation, not slowing.

No shit sherlock. They were just to show you that you can in fact lock up.

I'm not so sure on the easy to lock up at high speed. I remember somewhere Martin Brundle explaining braking facts. At speed, they smack that break pedal as hard as they can, and then as the car slows down they lift so as to not lock up.

But I do agree with you. I still think they got it wrong. They should lock up at higher speeds. Back to iRacing I guess.

So my Amazon preorder went from Estimated ship date: September 23 to We'll notify you via e-mail when we have an estimated delivery date for this item.

Not. Happy. With. Amazon. :mad: Why even pre-sell it if you're not going to have enough copies to go around??

Dammit! I just bought it.. Downloading is kinda slow though...

planning on getting mine next week, unfortunately having a F1 weekend doesn't help. after watching the qualifying it made me want to go and get the game despite not having the monies right now.

I loved it right until it corrupted my savegame...
Fucking Codemasters: Time is valuable and I really dislike doing stuff over because you fucked up!

Just run a qualifying session at Bahrain in a Williams with difficulty maxed at legend and all aids off. Ran 14th after messing up so many hot laps that I had to take it a bit easier in order to get off the back of the grid. It's hard, the AI are very quick at this level, although I only just outqualified Barrichello. Will do the race tomorrow (100% distance), although I'm a little concerned about supposed issues regarding AI fuel levels, and the several pit bugs that blight the game such as the release time and the fact the pit limiter simply doesnt fucking work in manual mode.

I did a test race in a Mercedes at Bahrain set at 20% full difficulty. Started 5th and raced competitively with Rosberg and the front guys until my stop on lap 4 out of 10. Rosberg pitted before me, and I mucked my stop up by hitting my front jack man and knocking him down. Fun, but it ruined my race coz he had to haul himself back onto his feet and I rejoined down the order in 13th. I made up a few places when some others pitted and ended up behind Hamilton. Couldnt pass him despite how bloody slow he was in the really slow twisty esses. It was fun, and I ended up 10th, although I found it a bit suspect how Bruno Senna could somehow snatch 6th. Did he even pit?? No sign of the puncture bug which was good.

I agree with MadCat's comments regarding the driving aspect. The spins are so canned it'd be hilarious if it werent so damn annoying. I'm used to being able to balance a car right on the limit of adhesion, or even a little over in other games such as GTR Evo but in this I have no chance. If it decides to spin for whatever arbitrary reason, I cant do anything to stop it. On the rare occasion I avoid a spin I'm left wondering was that me or the game? I just dont feel as if I have full control, that the game is partly driving the car as well. Remember how GP4 blatently dictated what line you'd drive through a corner? This is similar but on a deeper level. It's not as obvious as GP4 but it's there.

I just dont understand how guys like Ant Davidson and the devs were able to test the game and run extensive races without picking up a few of these issues. I know they rushed through a major physics update at the last minute, maybe that had some bearing on the number of bugs we're seeing? I mean, it's fun when everything is working together as it should but there's just too many issues for it to really shine properly. Hopefully Codies will address the major issues in a patch.

I can't find a good setup for Catalunya. I've skipped the first two practices almost entirely cos they had rain and the prediction for the race is 0% rain.
I started with a basic setup, everything neutral. Understeer like hell in the fast corners (3 and 9).
Tried other setups, the same thing. The only thing that keeps the car under check at those turns is the wet setups, but that makes you turn at 210 kph instead of 240ish.
Then I went and read the official F1 guide to Catalunya setup (this) and applied whats being said there, soften the rear end, more downforce, etc... still cant find a good setup. Im running 1.27s and even my teammate (Bruno Senna) is running 1.26s. Vettel is running 1.24s, so is Buemi. so I dont know what to do any more. I'm giving up and starting on the back of the grid I think.
They should have a recommended setup you can tweak for each track. This is completely unfathomable if you're not heavily into simulation racing games (which I'm not).

I loved it right until it corrupted my savegame...
Fucking Codemasters: Time is valuable and I really dislike doing stuff over because you fucked up!

My savegame also corrupted. Luckily I had only done quali on the first race and intended to restart on a higher level anyway.
The game is too easy though. I just qualified 8th in the Lotus with every aid off, all realism settings to full, and the AI set to legendary.

I tried it. Good thing is that it is more realistic than I expected. Bad thing is complete SHIT force feedback. There seems to be a deadzone in the feedback no matter what you do, and even in a proper turn the feedback is mediocre at best. Which can ruin a game. Graphics are great. But the set up options are pathetic compared to sims.

Biggest problem is that a very good F1 2010 mod for rFactor has just been released. So I'm afraid this just doesn't cut it. Which is a shame cause the graphics are stunning.

I was given an illegal blocking penalty at Shanghai for breaking for the turn in the pit entry...