Codemasters' Formula One 2010

I'm at Valenica now, but had to do some restarts at Monza, damn that's hard -I now I'm a cheese eating surrender monkey -. Difficulty Medium on keyboard, ABS and TC on.

Stil a great addictive game ... Money well spent.

I'm at Abu Dhabi. I'm playing it to take my mind off my actual car which appears to have an expensive repair in it's near future.

The car upgrades and in-race adjustments really make a difference once you get a hang of them (specially changing the throttle mapping and wing setting at the right times).

Well reports are that the AI arent affected by fuel loads, so while you're struggling around on a full tank, they aren't. For me the best thing is to set difficulty to Legendary in practice and qualifying, and then set it to pro in the race so I'm not totally dropped by the field.

Also I've heard the times set by the AI in practice and qualifying are completely arbitrary and bare no relation to on track action. No wonder Codies wont let us view other cars!

I can't fathom how that would be hard to model. I'm looking forward to this patch.....

I'm not that good at racing sims, so I just figured all the spinning out was my fault. However, I know the Suzuka circuit pretty darn well from GT5 and racing with the F1 car...so when I was racing it today on multiplayer and was needlessly spinning out I could see that something was wrong.

Sure, the car may lose balance or whatnot but at least give the player the option of trying to bring the car under control and not just spinning around a few times. Frustrating.

This may just be me, but in multiplayer mode at the start...my car does not move. This results in everybody slamming into me and then only after a bit does it start to move. Am I doing something wrong?

Because of this I start out each race at a disadvantage. Not that I care about winning. Which brings me to my second complaint. They should at least show you the fastest lap when the race is done.

What do you mean by "canned spin"? I only spin when I've done something silly that would make you spin, and I've also caught plenty of spins. It is inevitable that a car with a lot of grip will spin rapidly when it loses grip, and I just don't think other Formula 1 games have really replicated this before.
Yeah as MadCat says it's obviously fake. The F1 mods for rFactor will also spin easily as you would expect from a 800bhp car. But you can feel it going and the amount it breaks away has to do with your throttle application and steering angle. You can feel the limit. Obviously the FFB also has a lot to do with that. In this, it just turns around like it's been scripted to, without any real reason. Plus you can't react to it because there is no feedback at all in the first few degrees of steering (where you need it most).

While I meanwhile agree that the spins seem a bit scripted, I gotta say that I did catch a few...
Only thing about that: I managed it after I knew where the notorious places are. The bump in corner 3 in Bahrain, i.e... Once you're prepared for it, you can catch it, although that maneuver has quite wild touch to it. It seems like you can catch it just by reacting at all...

Bah, first taste of the puncture issue. On lap 12 of 58 at Albert Park and my front left tyre blows in the middle of turn 9 and I got bundled straight into the outside wall, ripping off the front right quarter of the car. No flashbacks so race over. I dunno if it's a bug or as a result of my driving. I was clattering over kerbs, running over grass and banging wheels with Schumacher and Petrov for a fair few laps so itmight've been as a result of one or all of those actions.

And yeah, I'm beginning to catch a few slides in the car now.

Last edited:
After completing 14 races, - it's good, but buggy. Not sure if it was mentioned - if you use flashback during Quali hot lap, sometimes the timer resets to 0 upon exiting flashback and you end up with a full lap time ~0:35:5, instead of 1:20.x or something. Also, sudden lag is kind of weird. In Monaco going round the Bus Stop fps drops from the usual to about 5 for a few seconds, returns to normal when you enter next corner and hit the tunnel.

Pit stops are inconsistent. A tire change usually takes about 4.2-4.3, which is fine, but sometimes on an absolutely empty pit-lane it takes ~6.8-7.2 seconds without any additional changes, let alone the bug that simply freezes you at '30 angle of your pit box or when mechanics let every1 pass before they release you.

Also took me over 10 races to realize that during interviews you're offered three different responses, the one it offers by default turned out to be the second (middle) one, instead of the first one, which is counter-intuitive.

Curbs also differentiate on the chance of spinning out. All the races up to Monza - fine, in Monza - spinning on every curb in sector one, same goes for Singapore. In Silverstone curb in 3rd to last corner is visuals only, car goes flat over.

The reason it offers the middle one as default is cos it's the neutral one. You have like a defensive one, a neutral one, and an aggressive one. So it's default probably in case you make a mistake selecting it, at least it wont hurt your reputation.

so like anything these days... dont bother being an early bird..wait for the updates to iron the issues out (something i forgot to do when i excitedly purchased one of the first batch of Santa Rosa based mac book pros...... yeah its a complete fucking lemon of a machine, never again!! i must wait and never buy 1st off the line)

The reason it offers the middle one as default is cos it's the neutral one. You have like a defensive one, a neutral one, and an aggressive one. So it's default probably in case you make a mistake selecting it, at least it wont hurt your reputation.

I slammed the team after Melbourne. Car was pretty crap on full tanks, sliding all over the place and I dont think there's much potential as a championship contender. I cant even get within sight of the McLarens or Red Bulls on legendary and pro difficultys. And as a straight shooting Aussie I said as much. They aren't pleased :p

Well being in an HRT I am honest and say I won't be challenging for the title and the car is struggling... just because there's no option to say "the game is buggy"

I find I'm giving my controller a death grip the whole time....
Yes, very much so. It seems like this is the only way I'm able to put in decent quali times.

I did find it humorous that the 3rd round of qualifying for Australia was a downpour, so I went out on inters (after waiting for the pit bug to let everybody exit before me) and managed a 1:32 and change on the first flying lap. So I came back into the pits to switch to full wets and noticed the closest time was a 1:38. I went back out for another try and realized that the track was absolutely flooded and there was no way of getting a decent time anymore. Great way to get on pole!

Also, how are we able to tell what the media/fans/drivers think of us after answering interview questions? I want there to be a little video where Martin Brundle, Eddie Jordan, etc. talk about me being a jerk or something.

I must admit that I've been cheating by watching the onboard laps of other drivers to get an idea of how to put together a fast lap before doing the actual race weekend. Although, it seems like the real world F1 drivers have soooooo much more grip than I do in the game. Although, that might just be the difference in talent. :p

Yeah as MadCat says it's obviously fake. The F1 mods for rFactor will also spin easily as you would expect from a 800bhp car. But you can feel it going and the amount it breaks away has to do with your throttle application and steering angle. You can feel the limit. Obviously the FFB also has a lot to do with that. In this, it just turns around like it's been scripted to, without any real reason. Plus you can't react to it because there is no feedback at all in the first few degrees of steering (where you need it most).

My experience of this game is as you describe rFactor. I would say I catch upwards of 80% of potential spins and I'm experiencing FFB even with no steering angle. I think the game is just very sensitive to wheel settings.

I tried going out on full wets on Istanbul in my lotus. did a 1:33.xx compared to my time in the soft options 1:29.xx IN THE DRY. shouldn't the wets be slower and one lap in the dry would fully ruin them? After my out/hot/in lap, the wet tires were still at 93%. I was expecting 60%

In sepang it also started raining while everyone was running on inters and the track was already very wet, i tried to go out on again, the soft options. ran pole position with a 2 second gap to the 2nd placer on inters. I didn't slide around/aquaplane/etc despite the track being wet already.

Anyone else encounter this?

My experience of this game is as you describe rFactor. I would say I catch upwards of 80% of potential spins and I'm experiencing FFB even with no steering angle. I think the game is just very sensitive to wheel settings.

+1

TBH I don't know what you guys are talking about w.r.t not being able to catch slides. (I think this may be something to do with the assortment of different wheels and deadzones etc. I have a G27 and it's fine, I can feel the grip even with no steering angle and I can feel as I'm losing grip on the rear end etc.)
The spins are scripted but only past the point of no return which is good because it lets you recover a lot quicker.

And fuck you all, I was gonna have a day without this but now I'm off to play.

Caldera said:
Hi everyone.

We can confirm that we intend to create and release a patch for F1 2010.

This thread will be updated with information as we move through development, testing and release. It will take some time, and sometimes there will even be no news while work is going on, but we'll do our best to keep you as updated as we can. We do appreciate your patience - and your feedback to date.

Current Status:
The development team is currently investigating, going through feedback, and looking at reported issues.

Caldera.

Official response of a patch for F1 2010. Caldera is a representative of Codemasters who's been browsing the forums and gauging public reactions and suggestions. Good news, hopefully it wont take too long to implement.

So is this game worth buying?

Yeah, I think so. Depends what you wanna play though. If you're only interested in short distance races you might hold off until the AI pit issues are fixed but if you're looking to run longer races or time trial or multiplayer I'm sure it's worth a look.

Had another good 100% race at Australia. Started on pole, but dropped back to 2nd off the start. Kept 2nd until I had to pit early on as I had destroyed the tyres. Put me down to 16th but I climbed up over the remaining 42 laps and finally finished 4th, overtaking Vettel in the final sector of the last lap.
The game is so much fun even if it is flawed.