Coffee!

calvinhobbes

Forum Addict
DONOR
Is the aeropress really worth the $40 though? That's the cheapest I've seen one online with shipping here.
That's entirely subjective. To me, Aeropress coffee will remain a rare(ish) treat because you need such a lot of grounds for it - not that often will I grind this much by hand. But since the thing is supposed to last for a lifetime and the coffee really does taste very nicely different, I'd say go for it if you don't actually need the money elsewhere.

Last edited:

public

Has been known to shou emousshiöns
DONOR
Car(s)
S203 M271 and a ton of crap
Aeropress makes great coffee, it's simple to use and very quick to clean, that was enough to win me over. However, since I lost the cap that holds the filters (and cba ordering the replacement), I went ahead and bought a Hario V60 coffee dripper a few days ago.

And so far I've been really pleased. Really simple, makes a great 1-4 cups, and even quicker to use than aeropress. Put the thing over a cup, put the filter in, a spoon of coffee grounds, slowly pour hot water through them, and that's it. Coffee doesn't come out as strong as from aeropress, but that's all right, as I used to dilute it anyway.
I have one of those too and never tend to use it :lol: Aeropress in my opinion is well worth the (reasonable) money, it's that handy. And it tastes a lot better than French press coffee.

laxmax613

Car(s)
Merkavim Mars
I had an aeropress for a while, but it doesn't really make enough coffee for me. So I bought a large Moka pot.

public

DONOR
Car(s)
Drip coffee is fine, but Aero just has become the everyday routine. I'll probably experiment with the dripper again at some point.

public

DONOR
Car(s)
Heh, I used the Moccamaster as a manual dripper now. Wet the filter, measured grounds and boiled water separately on the stove, then poured it in with the drip lock closed and let it soak up for 3-4 min, then let it drip by itself, giving a little spin to it with a spoon. I think it resulted in a less bitter, more rounded taste from the really average coffee I used, but it might also be placebo. But since the machine wasn't turned on, the hot plate didn't burn the coffee.

Adunaphel

KLAUWD
STAFF MEMBER
DONOR
Car(s)
'18 Clio; '13 Cube Hyde
Heh, I used the Moccamaster as a manual dripper now. Wet the filter, measured grounds and boiled water separately on the stove, then poured it in with the drip lock closed and let it soak up for 3-4 min, then let it drip by itself, giving a little spin to it with a spoon. I think it resulted in a less bitter, more rounded taste from the really average coffee I used, but it might also be placebo. But since the machine wasn't turned on, the hot plate didn't burn the coffee.
This is probably why.

public

DONOR
Car(s)

Chili coffee from a Finnish roaster, linked to a Finnish chili/sauce importer. It's pretty good, contains peri-peri. Not too darkly roasted though, would be interesting to see how it would be like a little bit darker instead of medium or "3/5". And the chili isn't overpowering, it's there but it doesn't rule it.

bone

"bangle for president"
DONOR
Car(s)
Volvo V40 & Yamaha Banshee
my gf doesn't drink coffee, so doesn't have a machine
but she bought me this

it works wonderly well! i've tried several small volume coffeemakers, but most of the time was higly disappointed
but when spending the night at her place, i can finally make myself a nice and strong coffee in the morning :)

she's the best :)

MXM

I paid for this title
DONOR
Since getting an electric grinder (thanks to public for suggestion), I'm back to drinking morning coffee at home again, instead of some service station on my way to work :)

However, 8 times out of 10, I end up using a basic cheap french press. Still haven't "fixed" the aeropress, and Hario dripper is just a bit too slow to use every morning :p
It's perfectly fine though. After all the experimentation, I can't say that one method is significantly better than the others. I guess I prefer the cleaner result of the paper-filter, but after dialing in the coarseness, dosage and brew time with the french press, I'm quite happy with the taste.

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
‘18 VW Golf GTI, '87 Mercury Colony Park
Cool! I have a cheaply Mr Coffee burr grinder that immediately showed a difference in taste between the blade type. Definitely worth it. Plus you get bean storage!

eizbaer

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Seat Leon
I've switched to french press as well :nod: it's great, except i smashed up the glass after a week of course. then again, it's a standard chemical supply size glass, so now i just have to live with the glass having manufacturers printing and scale and the like on it.

eizbaer

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Seat Leon
pretty much... now i can say viz absolute accurazy how much coffee haz been had and vether itz according to ze regulayshuns!

public

DONOR
Car(s)
Burr, Krups GVX242. It's from the cheaper end, but I can't see any flaws so far.
Yeah, it hits the "good enough" nail on the head. Mine's lasted for .. three years now?