Coffee!

LP

Your Brown Banana for Scale
DONOR
Car(s)
206 HP N/A washing machine
Coffee.png

I think we need a thread dedicated to this wonderful magnificent nectar of the gods that was brought to life in Ethiopia.

I love coffee, I've had small amounts when I was a kid and was completely into it since 8th grade. It helped with waking up for school :p

I'm very used to the indian style of making coffee which uses a special filter for preparation and is served in a tumbler with a "saucer" underneath that is used for mixing and cooling the coffee. This is how my grandmother back at home prepares it. Here in the states my parents just chuck it into a cup or thermos.

I think we use Arabica back in India, but here in the states we use french roast. Because we've used it a lot its slowly become one of my favorites, but I still prefer the taste of Sumatra and Java more. I love Kenya and Ethiopia as well.

Anyways, discuss your likes and dislikes of this beverage. Favorite preparation methods, favorite beans and varieties of coffee, as well as brands (like Peets or Starbucks etc etc).

Cheers!

Why did I not think of this thread first!!
Well I have my previous coffee posts scattered around here, here it is about the 20K Coffee Machine: http://forums.finalgear.com/off-topic/the-20k-cup-of-coffee-24827/
and then a place that serves coffee in Martini glass
http://forums.finalgear.com/off-topic/more-crazy-coffee-places-26376/

As for my favorite places to get coffee, in the city its 3 places, Ritual Roasters http://www.ritualroasters.com/ , Blue Bottle Coffee http://www.bluebottlecoffee.net/ and Philz Coffee (which Blind_IO is always talking about) http://www.philzcoffee.com/ . There are other places as well I go to for coffee, but those 3 are ones I like to hit up if I have the time.

As for what I make at home, well, I pick a simple french press because it gives you that strong flavor without going the whole 9 yards with a espresso machine. And beans, to tell you the truth I always try something different from the those local coffee shops as they have a collection of beans they roast. But for basic store bought I guess it would be Sumatra or Illy's Medium Roast.

I have never had Indian Coffee before as my family is original from India (before the partition) but came from the middle/northern parts where coffee is not drinking as much as Tea is. But I would love to try Indian coffee, I just need to find a place here that does that =D.

wooflepoof,
You do know where those beans come from right... I love coffee, but, not that far.

I only drink it to fight a severly bad hangover and even then it has to be turkish, boiled at least 4 times.

I wanna try the Kopi Luwak Coffee there's a place that sells it but its REALLY expensive 2oz is $40:yucky:. Any die hard QI fans will remember Stephen Fry mentioning that he bought some for Prince Charles once.

No doubt since it comes from the back of... :puke:

I'm with Zuhaib, I wouldn't go that far.

Zuhaib: I wish we had those coffee shops up in Berkeley. We got some traditional cafes on bancroft and on campus. Free speech movement cafe on campus near Moffitt Library always has great coffee. Love their Bianca Mochas :drool:.

As for indian coffee, just come over to my house! :p We can serve you up a fresh batch.

At home we just dump the powder into boiling water in a pot first and then send it through a regular coffee percolator + filter. It still tastes relatively the same. Do you have an indian shop nearby that you can grab a coffee filter device from?

Well at home here we have crap coffee, but when I buy it somewhere (Tim Hortons, Starbucks, whatever) I'm always a sucker for a mocha cappacino, or sometimes a mocha late. Yumm... ;)

But if I gotta make it myself it's a splash of milk, a [smallish]spoonful of sugar and a little vanilla extract.... *goes to make coffee* lol

I don't really care much about what kind of bean it is though, I have been drinking coffee a long time (since 6th grade, when you could buy it at school, that didn't last long...>:]) but I haven't tried enough to really notice much of a difference in brews, but I know I don't like anything super strong.

Am I the only one who actually hates coffee? :p

No, I hate it too, but it's the best cure for a sever hangover. I get my caffeine jolt through pepsi.

Coffee, Rockstar, Full Throttle, NOS, any soda, etc do nothing for me in terms of energy or whatever. The only drink that actually wakes me up is Red Bull... especially if I chug two of them.
Therefore I drink coffee for the taste. Now, regardless of what anyone in this country tells you, coffee at Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts is not coffee - its dark piss. We (me and my father - both coffee lovers) used to settle for Tasters Choice and then discovered the wonderful world of home brewing. Tried it once and never looked back.

^ Yeah, coffee doesn't give me much energy but it taste so good. yum...

I could use some caffine about now, I haven't slept in a long time...

Coffee, Rockstar, Full Throttle, NOS, any soda, etc do nothing for me in terms of energy or whatever. The only drink that actually wakes me up is Red Bull... especially if I chug two of them.
Therefore I drink coffee for the taste. Now, regardless of what anyone in this country tells you, coffee at Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts is not coffee - its dark piss. We (me and my father - both coffee lovers) used to settle for Tasters Choice and then discovered the wonderful world of home brewing. Tried it once and never looked back.

I'm sort of with you there, but redbull does almost nothing for me now. A regular cup of coffee can only slightly keep me alert and awake, I'd need espresso (be it straight shots or diluted in coffee) to get me bouncing around and hyper and awake.

My roommate and I hit up starbucks and/or peets everyday the last 2 semesters because we had nothing else. The percolator was broken during moving and we were too lazy to get another one and too lazy to make coffee at home, but I would agree with you on that as well. Coffee from starbucks is pointless. Coffee from Peets on the other hand is not so. They make it very bold and very strong. Their sumatra preparation is excellent.

Most people call me crazy but I prefer a cup of coffee from a gas station over something whipped up at a coffee shop. In general I like flavored coffees brewed medium strength with a hint of sugar and cream. Right now I'm sipping down some cheap Maxwell House with some Coffee Mate Italian Sweet Cream. It's very good actually. :)

As for the energy I really don't feel anything from coffee until I've had a lot and I prefer not to do that because I'm having to pee every 15 minutes. In general caffeine won't wake me up but it will keep me up all night and not in a good way.

Starbuck's doesn't sell coffee, it's crude oil which is pumped full of flavour syrups to make it lighter and somewhat palatable.

I tend to like bolder coffee which is pretty strong, mixed with some caramel or chocolate. When I'm at home, I've got a Senseo machine that brews espresso.

Ew, I hate coffee so much! I don't get it why mostly everyone I know can drink the stuff.

I think it's more of an acquired taste actually. When I started drinking coffee I would drown it in milk and sugar but after a little while I really began to enjoy the flavor of it and now I drink it almost black if I make it myself.

how can anyone not like coffee??
Either you've never had a GOOD cup of coffee or you are a freak.

Coffee (even crappy coffee from a vending machine at work) is fantastic
Espresso is even better

I usually try different beans in my coffee machine (try something new every so often)

I <3 my coffee machine

f50.jpg