Coffee!

I never made coffee at home, but I do love a caffe latte so I got myself a Moka pot. And some Lavazza coffee, and today I got about 50-100 grams of beans from various places to find what I like best. I hate that there's no coffee shops to get beans, maybe I'll find a place in the future.

I love that today I ground up some beans, pressed it into the pot and made my own coffee.

^how do you manage to get out of bed?

I'm surprised that no one here mentioned. The Keurig. It's only a single cup maker, but it does give you the availability of having different flavoured cups every time. I still brew coffee at work using the ole' grain/filter and I buy the occasional Timmies now but I'm sold on the Keurig and to boot I can brew any kind of coffee I want with the My K-Cup attachment. Although I may end up buying a grinder and trying this. Kona brand I've read about on here.

i have been trying to make the best cup of coffee i can by controlling all the steps. i have a smart electric kettle to heat my water to 200 f. grid my bean. the use a manual drip in a preheated Carafe. to only thing that i do not do is roast my own beans

Here is my recipe, boil some water with conventional kettle on a stove, 2 tbsp of coffee-I prefer Balinese coffee, 3 tbsp of sugar. I just love the taste, it has strong flavor of coffee yet has a bit overly sweet flavor, just a bit.

Sometime, friends of mine don't even put sugar in it, just some tbsp of black coffee, well, I found it isn't taste so good but well enough to keep me awake at the night.

Coffee!

i have been trying to make the best cup of coffee i can by controlling all the steps. i have a smart electric kettle to heat my water to 200 f. grid my bean. the use a manual drip in a preheated Carafe. to only thing that i do not do is roast my own beans

The best coffee I've ever tasted is by a small shop in town called Conscious Cup Coffee. They roast their own beans in their shop. The only coffee that you get a nice bean flavor instead of just bitterness.

y2u3uqup.jpg

Last edited:
HawaiiGoldCoffee.jpg

After going to hawaii on our honeymoon, pretty wife and I got completely addicted to this stuff. It's the only coffee I've been able to drink (not counting expresso) straight, and be able to genuinely enjoy. Add a tablespoon of honey.....heaven.

On a related note, how do you guys brew your coffee? My coffee maker recently pooped out on me, so I got a "filter" adapter for my keurig, and it does a surprisingly good job.
keurig-my-k-cup-reusable-coffee-filter-detail.jpg

*bump*

I recently bought a coffee grinder (Hario Skerton) and have been using it for about a week. Today, I decided to get out my AeroPress for the first time in a long while and HOLY COW is that a difference! :blink:

I won't take the time for using the thing every morning, not on weekdays anyway, but it's a completely different taste from the drip brew machine I normally use. Not "miles ahead" or anything, but definitely a very welcome difference.

Yeah, it's my go-to coffee maker as well. Using Lavazza beans mostly, I also have a Haribo Skeletor grinder but I tend to use my electric Krups instead.

Blade grinders are actually quite bad for coffee. Instead of pulverising the bean, which is ideal for taste, the bean is torn into inconsistent particles. With a burr grinder, you have much better consistency and less heat in the grounds. Blade grinders are great where consistency is less of a concern.

Interesting. My grinder can be had for ?26,40 in the rainforest. But apparently, you don't know which exact version you will get. :?

It's nothing fancy, but it's worked fine for the couple years I've had it.
No morning workout for you, though! :-D

Have you had any problems with electrostatic charge? I'm asking because some grinders are terrible for that: ground coffee everywhere as soon as you open the (lower) container to empty it.

And I guess it being a burr grinder and not a blade-type one makes all the difference.
Blade grinders are actually quite bad for coffee. Instead of pulverising the bean, which is ideal for taste, the bean is torn into inconsistent particles. With a burr grinder, you have much better consistency and less heat in the grounds. Blade grinders are great where consistency is less of a concern.
Precisely what I found on the web and found logical. One of my reasons for buying the manual grinder was that in my math, which isn't far ahead of Top Gear math, the coffee gets even less warm if you grind it manually and hence slowly.

Yeah, it does like to drop coffee grinds on the counter when I pull out the container. But I don't mind it, my kitchen isn't really laboratory-style clean and clinical either.

But what I like most about it is that it makes the correct amount of ground coffee every time: no measuring or wondering, just BRRRRRRRRRRR and it's precise enough for my AeroPress needs.

Last edited:
Yeah pretty much, it keeps the country's gears oiled... :lol:

Aeropress makes great coffee, it's simple to use and very quick to clean, that was enough to win me over. However, since I lost the cap that holds the filters (and cba ordering the replacement), I went ahead and bought a Hario V60 coffee dripper a few days ago.

And so far I've been really pleased. Really simple, makes a great 1-4 cups, and even quicker to use than aeropress. Put the thing over a cup, put the filter in, a spoon of coffee grounds, slowly pour hot water through them, and that's it. Coffee doesn't come out as strong as from aeropress, but that's all right, as I used to dilute it anyway.