Coffee!

Is the aeropress really worth the $40 though? That's the cheapest I've seen one online with shipping here.
That's entirely subjective. To me, Aeropress coffee will remain a rare(ish) treat because you need such a lot of grounds for it - not that often will I grind this much by hand. But since the thing is supposed to last for a lifetime and the coffee really does taste very nicely different, I'd say go for it if you don't actually need the money elsewhere.

Last edited:
Aeropress makes great coffee, it's simple to use and very quick to clean, that was enough to win me over. However, since I lost the cap that holds the filters (and cba ordering the replacement), I went ahead and bought a Hario V60 coffee dripper a few days ago.

And so far I've been really pleased. Really simple, makes a great 1-4 cups, and even quicker to use than aeropress. Put the thing over a cup, put the filter in, a spoon of coffee grounds, slowly pour hot water through them, and that's it. Coffee doesn't come out as strong as from aeropress, but that's all right, as I used to dilute it anyway.

I have one of those too and never tend to use it :lol: Aeropress in my opinion is well worth the (reasonable) money, it's that handy. And it tastes a lot better than French press coffee.

Drip coffee is fine, but Aero just has become the everyday routine. I'll probably experiment with the dripper again at some point.

Heh, I used the Moccamaster as a manual dripper now. Wet the filter, measured grounds and boiled water separately on the stove, then poured it in with the drip lock closed and let it soak up for 3-4 min, then let it drip by itself, giving a little spin to it with a spoon. I think it resulted in a less bitter, more rounded taste from the really average coffee I used, but it might also be placebo. But since the machine wasn't turned on, the hot plate didn't burn the coffee.

Heh, I used the Moccamaster as a manual dripper now. Wet the filter, measured grounds and boiled water separately on the stove, then poured it in with the drip lock closed and let it soak up for 3-4 min, then let it drip by itself, giving a little spin to it with a spoon. I think it resulted in a less bitter, more rounded taste from the really average coffee I used, but it might also be placebo. But since the machine wasn't turned on, the hot plate didn't burn the coffee.

This is probably why.

mJtmCNn.jpg

Chili coffee from a Finnish roaster, linked to a Finnish chili/sauce importer. It's pretty good, contains peri-peri. Not too darkly roasted though, would be interesting to see how it would be like a little bit darker instead of medium or "3/5". And the chili isn't overpowering, it's there but it doesn't rule it.

my gf doesn't drink coffee, so doesn't have a machine
but she bought me this
237167366-vintage-durobor-glazen-tas-met-koffiefilter.jpg

it works wonderly well! i've tried several small volume coffeemakers, but most of the time was higly disappointed
but when spending the night at her place, i can finally make myself a nice and strong coffee in the morning :)

she's the best :)

Since getting an electric grinder (thanks to public for suggestion), I'm back to drinking morning coffee at home again, instead of some service station on my way to work :)

However, 8 times out of 10, I end up using a basic cheap french press. Still haven't "fixed" the aeropress, and Hario dripper is just a bit too slow to use every morning :p
It's perfectly fine though. After all the experimentation, I can't say that one method is significantly better than the others. I guess I prefer the cleaner result of the paper-filter, but after dialing in the coarseness, dosage and brew time with the french press, I'm quite happy with the taste.

What type of grinder? Blades or burr?

Cool! I have a cheaply Mr Coffee burr grinder that immediately showed a difference in taste between the blade type. Definitely worth it. Plus you get bean storage!

I've switched to french press as well :nod: it's great, except i smashed up the glass after a week of course. then again, it's a standard chemical supply size glass, so now i just have to live with the glass having manufacturers printing and scale and the like on it.

pretty much... now i can say viz absolute accurazy how much coffee haz been had and vether itz according to ze regulayshuns!

Burr, Krups GVX242. It's from the cheaper end, but I can't see any flaws so far.

Yeah, it hits the "good enough" nail on the head. Mine's lasted for .. three years now?

Random coffee thought: sitting at IAA in Frankfurt, coffee has definitely kept me sane today...