Colin McRae:Dirt

About GFX's you're not quite right. PS3 has an equivalent of 1900xtx & X-Box 360 - 7900GTX. So... I guess 7900GS will be quite good for that.

P.S. I'm not woriied - I have 8800GTS =)

ummm no it doesnt....for starters...nvidia makes the gpu for the ps3 and ati for the xbox, and neither are as powerful as you just mentioned.

PS3 = 7800GTX 512

thats pretty much the chip on which its based (g70... 6 vertex shaders, 24 pixel shaders, 16 ROPS) clocked at 550Mhz (which the desktop 7800GTX 512 edition was)

the 360 isnt much, if at alll, better mind you....its just a lil more flexible with its unified shaders and tile rendering techniques (mostly used to get "free" aa out of that 10mb edram chip.... its not big enough to fit a multisampled 720p image in...it must be chopped up or "tiled") (note unified architecture |= DX10)

id hazard a guess and say the PS3 probably has the raw power, but the 360 makes much better use of what its got given its flexibility. the xenos has full access to the 512mb of ram on the 360 as well, whereas the RSX in the ps3 has 256 actually wired to the GPU package, and if needs be can steal some from the 256mb for the cell....but at a cost.

i cant see many sony games being 1080p because of that choice to be honest. also add to that g70's pretty poor aniso filtering quality, a bugbear for all G7x users. (read shimmering textures)

another thing is, because everyones got the same hardware, and theres no bloatware OS it means devs can optimize to the moon and back which is a good part of the reason why the consoles, despite having graphics power akin middle of the road DX9 hardware, they can still produce some pretty lush looking visuals.

PS3 = 7800GTX 512

HA!! i have a 7900GS so i guess that is better. i can say my PC is better than a PS3.

*calms down before exploding*

well maybe not more powerful...

There's supposed to be a PC/360 demo out VERY soon, so keep your eyes peeled for that :)

Last edited:
Looks great, damages is awesome, handling is absolutely disgraceful. I'm not atfer a sim or anything the cars don't evel feel like they are attached to the road.

Boo-urns.

I'm downloading now, so haven't tried, but I read on the official forum that the settings need to be tweaked if you're using a wheel because the game was designed for an Xbox 360 controller. Try turning on FF and messing with the steering linerarity.

Supposedly it makes a BIG difference ;)

Last edited:
Guess I'm getting it for the 360... The Demo at least.

No w00t for me. I want this game badly...

BUT, my PC sucks balls compared to the system reqs. for the PC version, and I don't have a Xbox 360.

:cry:

Wow, this game has amazing graphics, just as good as the original screenshots (shame on all you doubters).

Runs great on my system (Core 2 Duo E6600, 7900 GS overclocked) with Ultra High settings, except shadows on medium and motion blur off.

I got it to handle decently on my PC with my Xbox controller. The default steering settings suck. these are quite a bit better:

Steering Deadzone: 5%
Steering Saturation: 70%
Steering Linearity: 0

I also added an additional deadzone of 15 on my analog stick through my 3rd party Xbox controller driver (XBCD).

so is this just a PC demo? or have we 360 owners got something to download when we get in from work?

so is this just a PC demo? or have we 360 owners got something to download when we get in from work?

The demo should also be available for XBOX. The site where I've downloaded my demo (for PC) said you can download the demo for XBOX from Marketplace. Dno what that is tough because I don't know sh*t about XBOX because I don't have one :p

marketplace is just another way to skim the wallets of xbox users... demos, a couple of videos and a few arcade games, everything else costs money.

Baah the Handling is horrid! 90% of corners you just have to let off the gas and you can just ride thru even in mud and if you use the handbreak it's just instant powerslide.. It's more a arcade game than i had hoped.

There's mud in the demo? Where? All I see is sand, dirt and tarmac.

The graphics are fantastic...but I cannot knock the wing off or damage it slightly on the WRX. O and powersliding and taking out the little red fence thingys is awsome fun and looking back and seeing them fall of the cliff.

well its pretty fun, the baja buggys are awesome... i even rolled one!

the damage model is very good...and thats only on medium, already KO'd the evo when i hit a rock at 90mph lol

on the Super special with the WRX did you notice that the armco barriers deform when you hit them!!? i made the track about 4 ft wider by bashing the armco up a couple of times...thats pretty neat.

the handling on dirt is fucked though, i mean the hill climb one you press the brakes at the car stops almost dead. but its only a demo and in true CM style their demos are very rarely like the finished product.

i also dont like that when you leave the track on the hill climb it auto resets almost instantly.... i wanna barrel down the hillside goddamit! hopefully that will change.

graphics are super sweet though, even on the 360.

cant wait to try hardcore damage!

Last edited: