Comment about Gays by former NBA star

Firecat

Politically Charged
Made shortly after another former basketball player announced he was gay....

"I don't need Tim's comments to realize there's a problem," Amaechi told The Associated Press in a phone interview Thursday. "People said that I should just shut up and go away -- now they have to rethink that."
Hardaway's comments were sparked by Amaechi's disclosure he's gay.
"You know, I hate gay people, so I let it be known. I don't like gay people and I don't like to be around gay people," Hardaway said while a guest on Sports Talk 790 The Ticket in Miami. "I'm homophobic. I don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world or in the United States."
The host asked Hardaway how he would interact with a gay teammate.
"First of all, I wouldn't want him on my team. And second of all, if he was on my team, I would, you know, really distance myself from him because, uh, I don't think that is right. I don't think he should be in the locker room while we are in the locker room."
If he did find out that a teammate was gay, Hardaway said he would ask for the player to be removed from the team.
"Something has to give," Hardaway said. "If you have 12 other ballplayers in your locker room that's upset and can't concentrate and always worried about him in the locker room or on the court or whatever, it's going to be hard for your teammates to win and accept him as a teammate."

Now we probably don't really care what this guy thinks in particular, but what the heck is wrong with people?!?

On the other hand, I could understand how some might be uncomfortable in a locker room or similar setting (not that I would or anything).

Homofobia is as common as mac'n cheese. Sadly.

Say what you will but at least he's being truthfull about his feelings. With all this "free speech fever" going around, we should recognize that people have the right to express their feelings regardless of what we think about their opinion.

I don?t f***ing care if I?m the only heterosexual in a locker room as long as the gay people leave me alone in a sexual way.... i.e. no flirting etc.

I don?t give a f**** and I don?t think what a person does in his bedroom should care anyone. If someone has sex with a woman or man, a rubberdoll or his hand does this make him any different in his job f.e. ? You don?t rant at people who f.e. go to a Domina in the way you rant at gay people

Two things I have learned in the last years:

a) the persons who seem to hate gay people the most are quite often gay themselves
b) most gay people are just as normal in everyday life than me and you

And no, I?m not gay.

And the fact, that a black person in America discriminates a person because of a thing he can?t do a thing about like his sexuality should show the stupidness of this comment. Let?s call him a Ni**** than, because he thinks this is alright to discriminate groups of people?

It has little to do with free speech and everything to do with bigotry. Nobody is questioning his right to say these things....

I don?t f***ing care if I?m the only heterosexual in a locker room as long as the gay people leave me alone in a sexual way.... i.e. no flirting etc.

Yeah, and I doubt they would just start flirting with you or whatever. But on the same hand, maybe if I was in a girls locker room I wouldn't flirt with them.....is that okay?

^^ Yeah I know I was just saying it before things got outta control...

Yeah, and I doubt they would just start flirting with you or whatever. But on the same hand, maybe if I was in a girls locker room I wouldn't flirt with them.....is that okay?

Eh watch out you are missing something:

You in Girls locker room is a different situation, as you are also the "prey" for the girls, but if a gay dude is around heterosexual guys, no one is interested in him, he is only interested in the other guys.......get my point? :)

Eh watch out you are missing something:

You in Girls locker room is a different situation, as you are also the "prey" for the girls, but if a gay dude is around heterosexual guys, no one is interested in him, he is only interested in the other guys.......get my point? :)

Assuming they'd even be interested in me....<_<

when you are alone in a girls locker room......they would at least take a look before laughing ^^

Say what you will but at least he's being truthful about his feelings. With all this "free speech fever" going around, we should recognize that people have the right to express their feelings regardless of what we think about their opinion.

I don?t give a f**** and I don?t think what a person does in his bedroom should care anyone. If someone has sex with a woman or man, a rubberdoll or his hand does this make him any different in his job f.e. ? You don?t rant at people who f.e. go to a Domina in the way you rant at gay people

Well, those two quotes summed about how I feel!:thumbup:

I'm so tired of hearing this shit on the news. Celebs are people and just like all of us say dumb stuff sometimes. I'm all for LGBT rights but I am so sick of hearing useless junk like this one the news.

"Today's headlines: NBA star calls colleague a homo; Kramer racially insults audience; Jenna Bush got a Brazilian wax." Like I care.

I agree, it really isn't proper news. It's just gossip. Sadly, gossip sells like hot cakes.

we should really stop giving celebrities air time and just make them the dancing monkeys they are. someone may be good at tossing a ball or faking a cry or spending money, but that doesn't mean they have anything worthwhile to hear. so stick a gag in em and shout "dance monkey dance!" haha.