Comparison : Executive saloons

cant decide between BMW-Audi-Jag-Merc-Lexus and Audi-BMW-Jag-Merc-Lexus

The BMW must be a mighty fine car to drive, and since they made the iDrive easier it shouldn't be a big deal. The Audi is just so classy and understated and looks by far the best, with the perfect interior, but somehow its a bit boring. Then comes the Jag in a nice third place, just because it is different and not everybody has one. I also like the Jaguarish lines. The Merc is fourth for me because I don't like the styling too much, there are too many of them and somehow.... I dunno, I just don't want it.
The Lexus is last, no explanation needed I guess ^^ It goes sub-zero - very cool - cool - neutral - uncool - seriously uncool - Lexus
for me

The thing that hits me is just by taking a quick glance at that photo it is hard to pick out the different brand cars except for the Jag.

The LS of course looks just like the Merc because lexus can only copy other makes designs. The audi and the bmw look somewhat similar to the lexus and the merc as well except for the big mout grill of the audi and the kidney grill of the bmw.

Just look at this picture with the badges blacked out...

sedans.jpg

The thing that hits me is just by taking a quick glance at that photo it is hard to pick out the different brand cars except for the Jag.

The LS of course looks just like the Merc because lexus can only copy other makes designs. The audi and the bmw look somewhat similar to the lexus and the merc as well except for the big mout grill of the audi and the kidney grill of the bmw.

Just look at this picture with the badges blacked out...

sedans.jpg

Thats not completely true. The last generation LS and the generation before that didnt really look all too like any other big sedan. But while Lexus made their sedan sleek, BMW went a more conservative route, and MB just an ugly curvy sedan...they all end up looking kind of similar.

IMO i think the LS looks quite good compared to the Benz

The LS has always been a copy of the Benz S-class.

62Y7PPO9X0.jpg

1991 Benz

8112005_400022136.jpg

1991 Lexus

1995-2000-lexus-ls-400-95806011990208.jpg

1995 Lexus LS

Mercedes-Benz-S-Class-16020.jpg
'

1995 S-Class

1120_image.jpg

2001 Lexus LS

2000-05-mercedes-benz-s-class-01603221990002.jpg

2001 Mercedes S-class

2060331.002.1M.jpg

2007 LS

07_s500.jpg

2006 S-Class.

I mean come on just look at the pictures. And keep in mind the new LS always comes out right after the new S-Class.

I mean come on just look at the pictures. And keep in mind the new LS always comes out right after the new S-Class.

While you have a point about the similar looks - a car's design is locked in a year or two (or more) before release, so Lexus must have some freaky psychic powers to know what the equivalent year's MB is going to look like (i.e when the the '06 S Class was released, Lexus would've had their '07 styling well and truly frozen)

I'm not saying Lexus haven't copied MB styling - but it's more a case of the MB having evolutionary styling, and Lexus taking inspiration from preceeding MB models, rather than Lexus copying MB year for year.

Lexus has continued with its inoffensive styling thinking that if they do a design that doesn't stir anyones emotions, there technically can't be anything wrong with it. The Germans (BMW then Merc) have tried to step out of their groove of doing conservative styling and have moved towards something more radical. The 7-Series is ugly and S-Class is ugly (without an optional AMG pack or a proper AMG itself).

So I dunno if I should like the Lexus or not. They're not really bothering to with the styling but the end result is if I were side by side with one at a light and I didn't know much about cars, I'd think its just "some big Japanese car" not knowing its probably the most technologically advanced thing out there.

I'd have the BMW simply because out of the ones listed, it looks most like you'd come out of it and blow something to pieces with a massive machine gun.

IMHO They look like:

Jag: Someone royal would drive it.

Mercedes: Older person from asia drives it.

Audi: It really shouldn't have 4 doors.

Lexus: Tried to hard to be the Mercedes and here in Los Angeles Lexus drivers keep doing stupid stuff around me... Two examples come to mind quick: One being the guy I nailed because he turned infront of me for some reason and the other being some moron that ended up driving on the wrong side of the road against traffic to try and run me off the road because he was pissed that he couldnt make his illegal turn since I wouldn't pull up far enough. I didn't really feel like hitting the person infront of me as I normally only leave about a foot anyway at a stoplight.

BMW: The bangle butt looks retarted but out of the list, I'd take it.

1) The Merc, it's the leader of the pack, it's full of technology, but it's also classy, and the traditional choice.

2) The Audi. I like the styling, I like the fact there's a model with an engine from a Lamborghini in it, and I like the fact that it isn't a BMW or Merc, shows there's a bit of individuality in the choice.

3) The Jag. It may look outdated and long in the tooth, but it's got a certain something about it, class with a bit of hidden sportiness, and I bet it'd ride very well, too.

4) The BMW. Packed full of technology, but I don't like the styling (especially the front) or the iDrive.

5) The Lexus. Might be full of technology, might be well made, might have an 8-speed auto, but it just does not have the badge cred that you expect when paying such money, and it's a bit boring. I mean, the others have history and racing pedigree and people buying them as a symbol of success, the Lexus is just an expensive, albeit very good Toyota. There's no racing Lexus, there's no long history of Lexus. A high-end car demanding that sort of money needs more than a high-quality car with a high pricetag.

Last edited:
^+1 to the Alfa 159 man.

Anyways:
1. Audi: Best looking and most awesome
2. BMW: I <3 BMW's
3. Jag: Looks refined
4. Mercedes: A bit boring but still better than...
5. Lexus: I'm still pissed off that you killed the Supra, artards. Yes, I know it's unrelated. And this car is boring as fuck.

Last edited:
Jag: Very very classy looks with fantastic technology and great handling (I'm a big Jag fan)

Merc: It looks decent but it doesn't look as classy as the Jag

Audi: No denying it probably has the best build quality. Its very nice and understated.

BMW: Ugly looks, confusing iDrive system, and snobby badge

Lexus: Boring.....

Alfa Romeo 159 :p To hell with the money you loose on the other end.....

agree :lol:

but on that list it had to be the Benz for me, it's just class
Although I'm not a big fan of the interior
Since my grandpa has the Mercedes-Benz 280S (referred to S Class today) , I just fell in love with Mercs

This is what my grandpa owns and it's in Brown, love it
800px-Mercedes_Benz_W116_red_vr.jpg

Last edited:
^^^
Oh man don't post pics of your car on a flat bed...

:lol: this was the only good pic I could find (wanted to show the european headlight and without the awful US bumper). But the pic is not mine, if you read it again I said that my grandpa's car is brown.

EDIT: Just for you
http://img246.imageshack.**/img246/9244/benzoc3.jpg

Last edited:
A Quattroporte, sorry.

Yet, this is a comparison between LWB saloons (aka you don't drive them, they drive you), so probably the Merc. Or the Jag, dunno.

Jag all the way... If I was driving but if I was being driven well...

Lexus bores me beyond tears.

Audi never really did it for me at least not with the A8.

BMW while I loved the older 1999 and older 7 series the new ones don't do it for me.

As much as I am not a Mercedes fan the mercedes would be the best for being driven around but the Jag is the best drivers car of the bunch.

The Jag. It's the standout. Sure, it's been around since the beginning of time, but it's so different to when it started. It's all aluminium, it's got a good range of engines, from the XJD's 2.7 diesel to the mighty XJR supercharged 4.2... The styling, firmly old-school, and that works for the Jag. You can pick it from a crowd of other luxury cars, as demonstrated previously, but not in the same way as having a room full of grey city cars with an Gallardo with green iridescent paint in the middle. The Jag has a beautiful , stately look, unlike the generic look of the Merc, the Audi, the Lexus, nor the "I'm very, very angry" look of the BMW. It's cheaper than all the competition, especially if you get the XJ6.

It's not boring "Camry in a suit" as the Lexus, not the super-aggresive, jumped up BMW, not the overly sober Merc.

Go the Jag!

Last edited:
Clearly the design themes of every vehicle will be different however styling cues have always been similar such as the flared wheel arches to the taxi-like boot/trunk lid of the Beemer, Merc and Lexus.
The Merc is simply the ulitmate luxo-barge due to its advances in safety such as radar governed cruise control, to Digital TV, however it will be sometime before we know that the quality of the Merc has finally reached a competitive level, as Audi is now the Benchmark with absolute perfection in their Interior quality.

I wouldn't buy any of them to drive them myself - I see the Merc everywhere, all the time, the Beemer is too ugly to consider, I'd have a smaller Audi, the Jag looks old and the Lexus really is a household appliance. If I absolutely had to choose one it'd be the Jag, and I'll take mine in LIME GREEN, just to shake off the boredom from looking at those cars.