Comparison : Premium convertibles

SL65

Ambitious but rubbish!
Car(s)
1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5L
http://img146.imageshack.**/img146/6427/063020061403139968lq1.jpg
Click the pic to view the comparo!

Read about what they had to say about each car....
Car & Driver said:

So which one would you have and why?

If lifes going pretty well and I can afford it, I'd take the SL550 hands down for its 388BHP, nice 7G tranny and obviously the comfort. But more realistically, it would be a mightly close toss-up between the Jag and the Carrera. The Jag would have huge street appeal I think where as with the Porsche - most people wouldn't even know if its a current model. Still however....a 911 in black would be sweet.

I wouldn't even consider the 6-Series or the Caddy. The Bimmer looks fugly in convertible form, its got that terrible iDrive system and the interior isn't as nice. As for the Caddy - its got a horrible interior, no badge appeal and its not available in most of the world which is reason enough not to choose it.

It's a pity they couldn't test the Carrera S but no matter, all's good.

The Caddy - No badge appeal and rather ugly.
The BMW - Bangle. 'Nuff said.
The Jag - I'd much prefer the coup? but it's damn sexy nonetheless.
The Porsche - The ultimate sports car and looks great with roof up or down.
The MB - Such a pimp car, looks menacing.

It has to be the Porsche (in S form) as the one I'd pick. In red with tan leather. Manual of course.

I can't say I'd pick any of them. Whenever I sit in a convertible, all I want to do is enjoy the open air and the view, so all of these are too powerful and too expensive. I'd be happy with something much cheaper, like an MX-5 Miata or 9-3 convertible. :)

Its the Jag for me for sure, street appeal comes before anything if I'm looking for a convertible in my book :D

Ugh, typical C&D to place the American car last. We are really ashamed of our car industry. Please don't start that debate again...

I'd take the XLR-V because it's rare and I dig the knifey styling. The other cars I'd have taken their coupe forms instead (with the exception of the SL...I'll have an SL65 please).

Is the SL550 an American model? In the UK you get the SL350, SL500 and the SL600 but no SL550 (not counting the SL55 and SL65 AMG versions)

peter3hg2 said:
Is the SL550 an American model? In the UK you get the SL350, SL500 and the SL600 but no SL550 (not counting the SL55 and SL65 AMG versions)
The SL500 you get in the UK is exactly the same as the SL550 you get in the States. MB UK (like many other countries like Australia for example) like to retain the "500" badge even though the car is actually packing the new 5.5L engine. Don't be fooled - its the same car.

yup... I think people are still used to the 200,240,320,400 & 500 on Mercedes... I personally don't like it how mercedes named their new S class the S350 instead of S320, why couldn't they just upgrade the engine and keep the model? somehow the 320 sounds better :D

just like the E46 3 series, I think during the facelift, the 318i's actually had a 2.0 or 1.9 engine, but they never changed the name.

BlaRo said:
Ugh, typical C&D to place the American car last. We are really ashamed of our car industry. Please don't start that debate again...

I'd take the XLR-V because it's rare and I dig the knifey styling. The other cars I'd have taken their coupe forms instead (with the exception of the SL...I'll have an SL65 please).

I like the styling too personally, but it is too expensive. At the end of the article they mentioned that a lot of the Caddy's position was because it was overpriced, not because it was worse than the others.

I think, for C&D, including the Caddy in this company is already an honour. They weren't mean on it though, performance-wise the Corvette underpinnings mean it can run with the group in the twisties. Basically like the Corvette, if you're performance-minded over luxury and comfort it's your car.

I'd still take the SL550. Amazing car, now with an amazing engine that's not AMG. Can't beat that.

Porsche baby

XLR = Vette in a tux, no manual :(
M6 = If BMW made the f-body (too big)
Jag = too big
Merc = old person's car, too soft

That leaves the P-car

the XK, though id much rather have it in coupe form.

The XLR costs too much for what it is (pay an extra 50K for what is essentially a vette??)
the 650i is ugly from the back in coupe form, its worse in convertible form
the 911 is a no-brainer as a coupe, but once you chop the roof off the masculinity is gone
and the SL550...well its a big flashy Benz convertible. probably one of the last things i want to be seen in.

so the XK is the one that remains, id say that its the most elegant looking without being too feminine. Also, the price is right.

bartboy9891 said:
The XLR costs too much for what it is (pay an extra 50K for what is essentially a vette??)
It's not a 'Vette, it just happens to share a platform. What, car companies can't share platforms, especially GM? Who the hell wants an Audi then, seeing as all of those are just glorified 1974 VW Transporters?

Does anyone else thinks the Porsche Carrera and the Carrera-S looks different? :eek:

The list is the order I rate them as well, Sl5000 is so dam cool and with a AMG engine so dam fast. The 911 is the drivers car. The XK is nice, but needs more wood in the inside insteed of chrome and alu crap