Complaints after Top Gear Stig shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gun safety is not crap.

It is in this context. It's an entertainment show. You are no different to people who write in about crap like smoking in the studio.

There are actually other members of this forum who own guns and believe in gun safety.

And there are people who encourage driving responsibly, but imagine if Top Gear could never depict dangerous driving on public roads, ever, even if it the road was closed to the public. In case some kid gets the wrong idea.

And, just as Censport stated, many people who go out to the firing range or go shooting somewhere do EXACTLY what they saw on TV. This is largely why so many who practice gun safety are outspoken about it.

So ban Top Gear because I bet there are people who try and powerslide like Clarkson and then get killed.

Clarkson acting like a complete clot with a gun is just plain typical Clarkson.

FTFY.

It's not like he's generally held up as being a beacon of sensible, responsible behaviour, is it? Clarkson's character in the show is to be an example of how not to behave.

"I know, I'm going to drive this truck through a brick wall. That's perfectly sensible. Remember kids, do do this at home."

"Oh. Let's just put this burning thing right under the Christmas tree. What could possibly go wrong?"

I'm sure in real life he's not as mental as he is made out to be.

He couldn't be.

Yes, and not funny. Guns are not something to joke around with. To do things like James did in the Polar Special, or what Jeremy did in this case shows a severe lack of respect for the lethality of a firearm. Never point a gun at something you don't want to kill.

I like your posts. They show a contrast between our two countries I think. At least for me. While you are very right with the gun safety aspect and picked up the stupidity right away, here guns are not so "big" with the general public. I didnt even blink at what clarkson was doing with his hand gun, I just thought it was funny. Which it was, but the seriousness of it was just lost on me. I guess that will be how a lot of Brits viewed it because guns just aren't part of life here for many people.

But in hindsight he's being a prat, and you are bang on. +1

It is in this context. It's an entertainment show. You are no different to people who write in about crap like smoking in the studio.

And there are people who encourage driving responsibly, but imagine if Top Gear could never depict dangerous driving on public roads, ever, even if it the road was closed to the public. In case some kid gets the wrong idea.

The differences between pointing a gun at your face and smoking in the studio are immense. Top Gear depicts exuberant driving, not dangerous driving, and again, the differences between exuberant driving and pointing a gun at your face are immense. Firearms safety is not and will never be "crap." Would you have been so entertained had Clarkson killed himself by having the gun go off when it was pointed at his head? By violating the rule of all guns are loaded, he made the assumption that his gun wouldn't fire because the safety was on and he hadn't chambered a round. This is an assumption that gets people killed while handling firearms every year.

You can not treat people like small children all the time - gun safety is important and before ever touching one you should be instructed carefully - this was a TV show, not a Gun safety instructional video.

May stuck his head over the top of a shot gun in a earlier show - stupid yes, but no one should do the same, its obvious and if it is not they the person should not be allowed metal knives to eat with - give 'em plastic ones.

Last edited:
I think the bottom line is that while gun safety is important, it is no more or less important than for instance driving safety. If you accepted Jeremy Clarkson, as he comes across on Top Gear, as any sort of safety role model, you would have to be called a complete and utter crackpot.

Anyway, looking at the segment in question, there's always a cut between him fooling around with a "loaded gun" ;-) and him actually shooting one. When he is actually shooting it, he's never pointing it anywhere but at the target. I don't think anyone would let him muck about with a loaded gun, certainly not the instructors.

Well, back to the original subject, I laughed at the segment, but I think everyone already knows my opinion on the whole Ben Collins subject. There are plenty of threads about it.

Regardless, Ben Collins was just an actor on a TV show. He signed a contract to fill a role and it sounds like his contract ended, so he published his autobiography. "Sacked"-Stig indeed. In my mind, he did nothing wrong and the presenters' behavior is childish at best. Ben didn't sign himself into TopGear slavery. And his leaving didn't hurt the show in any way, shape, or form. The boys keep talking about how they were betrayed and they were stabbed in the back, blah blah blah. It's all bullshit. They can replace Ben in a heartbeat and no one would be the wiser. If they chose to ruin the show over it, it will be their decision, not Ben's.

Last edited:
Well, back to the original subject, I laughed at the segment, but I think everyone already knows my opinion on the whole Ben Collins subject. There are plenty of threads about it.

Regardless, Ben Collins was just an actor on a TV show. He signed a contract to fill a role and it sounds like his contract ended, so he published his autobiography. "Sacked"-Stig indeed. In my mind, he did nothing wrong and the presenters' behavior is childish at best. Ben didn't sign himself into TopGear slavery. And his leaving didn't hurt the show in any way, shape, or form. The boys keep talking about how they were betrayed and they were stabbed in the back, blah blah blah. It's all bullshit. They can replace Ben in a heartbeat and no one would be the wiser. If they chose to ruin the show over it, it will be their decision, not Ben's.
So true

they are going to milk it until it stops making people laugh, does it matter at all - no.

Everyone else needs to stop reading so much into gun safety from a car program, if someone is seriously stupid enough to play about with a loaded gun then it is their own damn fault if they shoot themselves, better yet they will remove their stupid-genes from the pool.

I thought it was funny how Richard told them to turn the Stig around so he could "get it in the back, too", or words to that effect.

They should have come to middle Tennessee. I could have taken them out with some of my shooting friends and let them shoot a lot more than a few rounds through 9mm handguns and an M-4.

I think the bottom line is that while gun safety is important, it is no more or less important than for instance driving safety. If you accepted Jeremy Clarkson, as he comes across on Top Gear, as any sort of safety role model, you would have to be called a complete and utter crackpot.

Yes, but.... heh.... remember that whole thing a couple of years ago about a guy who actually died because someone followed advice they heard on Top Gear?

http://forums.finalgear.com/top-gea...ash-which-killed-pensioner-on-top-gear-32593/

That's the thing about television. People hear things but they don't question them. For a great many people, there's a certain sort of automatic authority associated with television (and radio), which is why Top Gear (and pretty much anyone pushing the boundaries in prime-time) keeps getting their noses whacked.

Yes, but.... heh.... remember that whole thing a couple of years ago about a guy who actually died because someone followed advice they heard on Top Gear?

http://forums.finalgear.com/top-gea...ash-which-killed-pensioner-on-top-gear-32593/

That's the thing about television. People hear things but they don't question them. For a great many people, there's a certain sort of automatic authority associated with television (and radio), which is why Top Gear (and pretty much anyone pushing the boundaries in prime-time) keeps getting their noses whacked.

Darwinism at its finest.

That's the thing about television. People hear things but they don't question them. For a great many people, there's a certain sort of automatic authority associated with television
You're describing Fox News, aren't you? :angel: </ off topic >

Wait, three pages and can someone now clear up what the complaints were about? The article doesn't seem to think it relevant. Were the complains about their disregard of gun safety guidelines or their treatment of the image of Ben Collins? Or some for each? Were the complains about Hammond's hair or what? Fail journalism is fail.

Just one word for everyone whining about Clarkson's lack of gun safety: WHOOOSH!

I thought it was pretty obvious that the segment in question was basically satire. Clarkson's ridiculous posing was a parody of all the hollywood stuff showing people shooting their gun sideways, blowing smoke out of the barrel and other, non-safe stuff you've seen many times in television in movies. You would have thought the fact that here was "the idiot", acting like an idiot and juxtaposed against an instructor showing how things should be done would have made things obvious. Apparently we do live in a world where all jokes need to be explained and warning labels tacked onto everything.

Far as gun safety goes Clarkson definitely knows what he's doing. Half a decade ago he did that Inventions series and shot every concievable sort of gun, and he did so with full safety gear including goggles and ear protection.

Last edited:
Wait, three pages and can someone now clear up what the complaints were about? The article doesn't seem to think it relevant. Were the complains about their disregard of gun safety guidelines or their treatment of the image of Ben Collins? Or some for each? Were the complains about Hammond's hair or what? Fail journalism is fail.

The article is about people complaining about the shooting itself, but the thread got derailed by a discussion of Clarkson's miserable gun safety on air. Gotta love tangents.

Status
Not open for further replies.