Compressing 1280x720 video into a resonable file size

Peter3hg

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Audi A3 1.4 TFSI Honda Hornet CB600S
I am putting various videos of fly-overs in Google Earth onto Youtube.
Initially I have recorded these in Fraps with my screen size set to 1280x720 which gives a file size of 6GB for 6 minutes of video. I have then tripled the speed to give a 2 minute file at 30fps in Abode Premier Pro. My problem then is encoding this file into a reasonable size. A 720p rip of a television programme runs at ~1.2GB for ~42 minutes so logically at the same quality I should be able to achieve a file size under 60MB. However the smallest I can get even slightly acceptable results for is over 600MB.
Should I save the file uncompressed in Adobe PP and then use another piece of software to compress it?
My internet is shit so uploads greater than 70MB ish fail so larger file sizes are not a viable option.
This is the only version I've managed to upload to YouTube but the quality sucks and I had to lower it to 640x480.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuGOyXki6gU[/YOUTUBE]

Many thanks for any help offered.

Well, the visual quality and the filesize both very much depend on the codec you use for compression. So which one do you use?

The only one that seems to return acceptable results in PP is Cinepak coded (avi file) but I'm guessing it is a rather poor outdated codec.
Premier Pro seems to be a bit limited in this area.

Last edited:
Indeed it is. I'd have a try with XviD or a H264 codec, which Google should find for you easily.

I've had a fiddle in Premier Pro and have found an .flv format that gives decent quality with small file sizes (11MB for 2 minutes at 1280x720).

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw4SvubszNs[/YOUTUBE]

FLV is a flash video format. Basically there are new and efficient codecs inside, should be fine.

FLV used MP4 or H264 and if you're just uploading to YouTube and don't need it for anything else, then FLV is great.