Computer suddently "lags" intensively.

idk

Car(s)
Hyundai i30N Performance
My computer (win7) started behaving very weird an hour ago. At first I just thought firefox crashed, but also several restarts could not fix the problem.

Well, sometimes, the computer works just fine. Normal speed. But then I click on the Start Icon for example, and nothing happens. The screen gets a with-ish colour and it takes like 2-3 minutes until the pc works normal again, for a couple of clicks, and then the same again.

I started the task manager but there are no tasks that have a high cpu usage or memory. Durng the time, the pc freezes I also can not hear any Harddisc activity. When it unfreezes the Harddrive makes normal sounds.

I don't expect anybody has a solution for this, but is there a program or something that could "log" what the PC is doing during that time?

Also when I shut the PC down. It takes insanely long to log off. I tried to restore windows to yesterdays save point, but that wasn't successful cause it says my antivir may have blocked something or so.

Mh, could that be a virus? But I can not believe that because I didn't browse any untrustworthy sites nor did I open any unknown programs etc...

PS: After some further observation i notice... the fan of the Graphic Adapter is running quiet hard for no obvious reason. I opened the computer cover and it is definitively not overheated. :(

Last edited:
im no computer guy but i would say you should scrub your HDD and reinstall windows.

It may sound like you have an issue with your graphics card, this is a desktop, yes? I had an issue similar to this with the CPU heatsink coming loose Windows would slow right down after less then a minute of being logged in, gave it a few pushes onto the cpu and I haven't had an issue since. Do you have a temp monitor on for your graphics card?

Hey guys!

Thanks for your answer. Well i tried what u said (even before you said). I took the graphic adapter off, inspected its fan, inspected the cpu fan, put it back together.... didn't work. Since the strange behavior only occurred when Windows had booted, i came to the conclusion it must be a windows problem. So i drove to my university to download an image of Win7 X64 SP1 because at home it would take me freaking 3 hours to download it.

Well the result was... it still didn't work... grmpf SHIT!

So then I did, what i should have done before reinstalling windows. I removed everything from the main board except graphic adapter and CPU and 1 RAM bar.

First i checked the Harddisc in another computer. Worked fine there. So back in my PC. I booted... it worked!
Came to the conclusion, that the other RAM bar might be defective.. but that one in. Booted and no problem! But both RAM bars in... still worked. But my DVD drive back in... still worked.

The end: altogether it took me almost 12 hours, it works again, but I still have no clue why it didn't work in between. Maybe a loose plug or so. Please wish me luck, that it keeps working!

Hey guys!

Thanks for your answer. Well i tried what u said (even before you said). I took the graphic adapter off, inspected its fan, inspected the cpu fan, put it back together.... didn't work. Since the strange behavior only occurred when Windows had booted, i came to the conclusion it must be a windows problem. So i drove to my university to download an image of Win7 X64 SP1 because at home it would take me freaking 3 hours to download it.

Well the result was... it still didn't work... grmpf SHIT!

So then I did, what i should have done before reinstalling windows. I removed everything from the main board except graphic adapter and CPU and 1 RAM bar.

First i checked the Harddisc in another computer. Worked fine there. So back in my PC. I booted... it worked!
Came to the conclusion, that the other RAM bar might be defective.. but that one in. Booted and no problem! But both RAM bars in... still worked. But my DVD drive back in... still worked.

The end: altogether it took me almost 12 hours, it works again, but I still have no clue why it didn't work in between. Maybe a loose plug or so. Please wish me luck, that it keeps working!

This happened to me less severely a few months ago, every 10 minutes or so I would get a 30 second total system hang, usually with the HDD light solid. I resolved the problem exactly the same way..... nfc what was wrong.

At least installing Win7 is not a pain in the arse like the previous versions. That took hours. I installed it from a SD Memory card and it was done insanely fast.

So after more than 2 weeks without problems, I closed my PC cover earlier this day. Just a few minutes ago, bamm, the same problem happened again after I had copied a lot of files on my hard disc. So this time I was rather sure it is a heat issue of the hard disc. I removed the PC cover again and yah, the hard disc was freaking hot that it was untouchable with bare fingers.

Too bad I can not really modify anything on the PC case, because it is some extra slim Acer Aspire thing, with the dimensions of a video recorder, a decade ago :p Mhh... but it makes sense. The only thing that comforts me now, it that I got this PC really cheap of a guy who works @ Acer.

So I'll just leave the cover open and that should do it...