Convince me to buy an android phone

Dunno if you're even watching this thread due to the heated argument upthread, but honestly if the software updates matter...two choices for you:

iPhone or Nexus 4. Both give you a solid experience w/out having to mod the device and updates will flow forth for both for quite some time.

Google's I/O event will be happening soon. I wouldn't expect a new Nexus there but who knows?! A new version of Android being shown off is totally a give in.

Thanks rick, and other people, for actual useful advice and getting to the root of the problem. I want a phone that actually gets timely useful updates because I keep them forever or at least well past the contract end date. That means an iPhone or the Nexus I suppose but I am tempted by some of the older android phones that are free or nearly free. I guess I will keep an eye out for good reviews on those over the next six weeks and look at refurb iPhone 5 or 4s models.

Thread bump

So after saying I didn't want to spend a hundred plus dollars on a phone I think I am going to bite the bullet and get a Galaxy S4. With my UPS discount it will end up being less then 150 anyway. Will post a review once I pick it up next week.

Go for a Nexus 4. Every single review of the S4 I've read says it's a great piece of hardware ruined by Samsung's modifications to Android.

Go for a Nexus 4. Every single review of the S4 I've read says it's a great piece of hardware ruined by Samsung's modifications to Android.

+ off contract. Not being tied down is a very good thing.

I would but it seems like the whole point of the Nexus 4 is to get off contract to save money. That doesn't make any sense to me because of my massive UPS enterprise discount. I can get unlimited 4G for less then 70 bucks a month at AT&T.

Plus no UPS discount for the phone if I get a Nexus 4 so 300ish bucks. Doesn't make sense financially.

How do you like the S4 thus far? It's time to replace my Evo 4G and I'm trying to choose between the S4, Iphone 5 and the HTC One.

I got the HTC One. I love it. And imho it looks better than the S4

You guys all keep mentioning the Nexus 4 and yes it's a great phone with stock vanilla Android, but since OP is an ATT user you all keep forgetting to mention one important detail....no 4G/LTE high speed data available on the current ver of the Nexus 4, and for an ATT customer who is paying for that kind of data service (built into their standard Android smartphone plans) that is kind of a big strike against it.

Enjoy your S4 and let us know how the experience goes. i highly recommend you install Nova Launcher (there is a free ver and then paid version with more features unlocked) that totally lets you customize the look of your UI without having to do any serious hacking. I install Nova on all my Android devices.

Last edited:
You guys all keep mentioning the Nexus 4 and yes it's a great phone with stock vanilla Android, but since OP is an ATT user you all keep forgetting to mention one important detail....no 4G/LTE high speed data available on the current ver of the Nexus 4, and for an ATT customer who is paying for that kind of data service (built into their standard Android smartphone plans) that is kind of a big strike against it.
http://theunlockr.com/2012/12/10/nexus-4-getting-lte-on-att-how-to-see-if-you-get-it-too/

Not played with an S4, but loving my One, had it since April.
It's also winning most reviews over in the UK (beating the S4 in Stuff & T3 magazines, and also on the Gadget show). The main downsides are no removable battery or storage, but that doesn't stop everyone buying iPhones.

Not played with an S4, but loving my One, had it since April.
It's also winning most reviews over in the UK (beating the S4 in Stuff & T3 magazines, and also on the Gadget show). The main downsides are no removable battery or storage, but that doesn't stop everyone buying iPhones.

If you don't care for HTC 's stock UI Sense, the official Google Editiom version software is now available for download and installation if you're comfortable rooting and installing custom roms on your phone. I've installed it in mine and it works great

If you don't care for HTC 's stock UI Sense, the official Google Editiom version software is now available for download and installation if you're comfortable rooting and installing custom roms on your phone. I've installed it in mine and it works great

Tempted, but Sense on the One is pretty light anyway. I've also seen some reviews that suggest going native loses camera quality (unless you can install the original camera app?) - no doubt I'll get bored one day and do it, i'm already rooted.

It doesn't lose image quality, you lose the additional camera features, like those 2 second previews in the gallery. You do gain photosphere, though.

Tempted, but Sense on the One is pretty light anyway. I've also seen some reviews that suggest going native loses camera quality (unless you can install the original camera app?) - no doubt I'll get bored one day and do it, i'm already rooted.

It turns out to be not true and you can install the original Sense UI camera app separately as a side load and it works exactly as stock.

This is a great and simple customized GE rom that I am currently running on my phone, on the surface looks the same as stock GE but with performance and settings tweaks

Do you have keywords set for this kind of thing?

http://www.blackberrymobile.com/

All the phone You will ever need!

Actually never touch it, cause no one has it in their stores, they are only on order. But from my experience using older Blackberrys with key pad, I must say that is the best phone ever, especially if You dealing will text, writing emails, sms, copy, pasting, editing, if You write a lot or work a lot with writing text this is the phone to have. At least the older ones. And I'm saying that because I have worked in Transport and had to deal with 100+ emails and messages at least 15+ hours a day. But their OS always was crap and few years behind and I always dreamed of a Blackberry with with an Android. I I have watched reviews about the Keyone and most of the are positive.

Specifications_01.png

just get a phone cover with integrated BT/NFC keyboard if you need buttons?
no reason to return to 10 years ago...

EDIT: like this
Galaxy-S6-QWERTY-SlimType-keyboard.jpg

Last edited: