Cool Videos

A lot of you have heard my criticisms of Matt's Off Road Recovery on YouTube and some of his sketchy practices. Here's a highly technical recovery of a very broken vehicle on a trail that is at the limit of what my Xterra can handle. @Nabster and @Der Stig have both done Elephant Hill trail with me in the Xterra and a friend with a 2-door JK on 37"s; they can speak to the challenges of this route.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKzolvcQ_Xw
You will probably get bored watching this - that's the point. A good off road recovery isn't dramatic; it's not WOT and spinning tires. It's slow, methodical, and careful - in a word: boring. The most dramatic part is trying to go up a steep climb and the front end of the tow vehicle comes off the ground; the driver stops the recovery, gets his front winch line rigged to keep the vehicle on the ground and stable, then continues the recovery. You will also notice he has a radio headset and brings one for the broken vehicle so they can coordinate their driving during the recovery.

Last edited:
The amount of not giving a fuck displayed by both the rider and about 99% of other traffic participants here is astonishing.

Pretty sad to see that sirens and flashing lights mean so little. I mean, a WHISTLE because people just don’t give a damn?