• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Copy Controlled CD's comes with shitty player !

haz

I AM OT!
Car(s)
Tesla Model S 75D BMW E39 Wagon
Ok, the last coupla albums I've bought (LCD Soundsystem and The Chemical Brothers)

... and as you can see, they are "Copy Controlled". This means two things:
1) You can not open folder containing the files, so you can do whatever you want with them, such as copying them ..
2) You MUST use a certain CRAP player to play the music files, and this is also what is pissing me off (not being able to rip and burn is something I already "accepted", to a certain extent ...) This player is shit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I could go on and on and on about how it is crap and nearly qualifies as a player)

So, my Qs are:

1) Is there ANY other ways around using this player when I want to listen to these copy protected cds using my PC?

2) Is there any way I can copy them, even though they are copy protected? (I know there must be some IT-"nerds" here to gimme some alternatives to this matter)

Any of you guys pissed off at these music labels trying to controll their listeners with the music they buy?

I know I am .....

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

haz

I hate the way the music industry is forcing this crap on us and I decided not to buy copy protected CD's. Luckily none of my "must haves" have been protected so far.

The easy way? Go find mp3s in some edonkey/kazaa/whatever network. You will get them much faster then trying to rip yourself. And because you have original CD, you aren't braking any laws I think.

One of my friends is so pissed off with these copy controlled pieces of shit... He told me that those discs aren't actually real CDs at all... They just don't meet all the criterions, or something like that... :blowup:

Yep, they aren't. I think they don't even have "compact disc digital audio" label on them, because they don't meet specifications.

swek said:
Luckily none of my "must haves" have been protected so far.

See, this is my prob! My "must haves" have been fucked over by their labels!!!!

These copy controlled cds actually don't even work properly (or not at all!) trying to play them in some units such as a DVD player or a cd player in your car ....

haz

MXM said:
Go find mp3s in some edonkey/kazaa/whatever network. You will get them much faster then trying to rip yourself. And because you have original CD, you aren't braking any laws I think.

well... if it can't be ripped... I don't think that it would appear on networks like that... if they still can be ripped... doesn't it defeat the purpose in the first place :lol:

I think Virgin Europe (bastards!) has copy-controll on all cds, but they don't call them cds, they call them Cactus or something.
I read somewhere that if you cover the part on the cd where the copy-controll program is located with a permanent marker, your computer will ignore the program on the cd, and allow ripping. The catch is that you can't play it on a regular cd-player.

Well, if you got Exact Audio copy and a good Burner (which means, it can rip the audio off those CDs...) its no prob at all... Somehow all that stuff must have made its way through the illegal channels...

Buba

If you can listen to the cd theres always a way to copy a cd. (lineout on your sound card always works :) )
But these days you sometimes have to go through great trouble to get it done properly.

I believe its just faster to download a pirate copy. Even though its probaly illeagal, specialy if u seed it further.

Kip_6666 said:
(lineout on your sound card always works :) )

that isn't very good quality is it... unless its digital... but quality would still be nowhere close to Ripping directly off CD's

1. Double click on the speaker icon in the taskbar. You should get this window:

2. Go to Options -> Properties and you should get to this window:

3. Click the circle button for "Recording"

4. Make sure the "Stereo Mix" option has a check next to it and click OK. You should then get to this window:

5. Select "Stereo Mix" (you might want to set it to a higher volume than I did though. :p)

6. Now when you play the song in your crap player, you can record it to any audio program you want (preferably something that saves .wav files) and then burn to a regular CD.

Hope this helps! :)

I said GOD DAMN that's looks like a good idea :shock: how the hell didn't the record labels not check for this option when they tried to lock us up with the forced player??

I will try it later ... thx again :) :thumbsup:

haz

andyhui01 said:
MXM said:
Go find mp3s in some edonkey/kazaa/whatever network. You will get them much faster then trying to rip yourself. And because you have original CD, you aren't braking any laws I think.

well... if it can't be ripped... I don't think that it would appear on networks like that... if they still can be ripped... doesn't it defeat the purpose in the first place :lol:

They can be ripped, and at least Chemical Brothers was ripped and is all over p2p networks.
It's faster to download them IMHO, then record the way it was described by chaos386 (it must be done realtime + encoding + tags). Also it seams they encoded songs with 128kbps and stored these separately on CD for listening with that crappy player. So you don't get the quality by recording with "what you hear" method.

EDIT: Other source says it's even worse than 128kbps. "As these CDs come with their own audio players, sound quality on your computer may also be quite low (48 kbps, 44 kHz)."

EDIT2: I also think there's only one way to show your opinion about these ridicilous copy-protections. Simply stop buying CDs with it. Or return it back and say you couldn't play it. Because your player plays Audio CDs, and this isn't.

MXM said:
EDIT: Other source says it's even worse than 128kbps. "As these CDs come with their own audio players, sound quality on your computer may also be quite low (48 kbps, 44 kHz)."

Wow, the music industry is nuts. They seem determined to punish the paying customer by all means.

just adding to sweks point... why is the music industry punishing legitimate customers that buy original CD's by doing this when they are the ones supporting the industry wherelse people like jasonchiu :mrgreen: still gets what he wants from the net by the same way and it is just as easy... I mean what if I get pissed off because I can't play this CD in a car and I don't buy CD's anymore, wouldn't the industry just die?

I know it's stupid. It's impossible to make CD that plays in every player and can't be copied. Still they try, and make this corrupted CD's that can't be played in PC, in some car or home stereos, and still are ripped on the second day of release.

What's more stupid, here in Finland for example: when we buy any kind of empty media, we must pay so called "copyright tax" to support artists, whose songs (or videos, etc) will be copied to this media, or some other nonsence like that. That applies to videos, casettes, cd's, dvd's and so on. So we basicly pay tax for potentially doing something that is illegal (or even impossible) :?

andyhui01 said:
Kip_6666 said:
(lineout on your sound card always works :) )

that isn't very good quality is it... unless its digital... but quality would still be nowhere close to Ripping directly off CD's

It depends what your after, if its going to end up a 128kbit mp3 i don't see that being a real issue.

And the quailty varies depending on the sound card too.

MXM said:
I know it's stupid. It's impossible to make CD that plays in every player and can't be copied. Still they try, and make this corrupted CD's that can't be played in PC, in some car or home stereos, and still are ripped on the second day of release.

What's more stupid, here in Finland for example: when we buy any kind of empty media, we must pay so called "copyright tax" to support artists, whose songs (or videos, etc) will be copied to this media, or some other nonsence like that. That applies to videos, casettes, cd's, dvd's and so on. So we basicly pay tax for potentially doing something that is illegal (or even impossible) :?

Same here. Same form of tax on blank media. :)