Copyright Letter

metzy75

I have gotten a couple letters from Comcast in the previous months they seem to be on a bit of a crack down. I have decided to not download anything via torrents that is not legally allowed. I am wondering though because I will never give up my top gear addiction that if any one has ever gotten a copyright letter from Comcast for downloading top gear?

Nope.

You might want to consider getting a VPN account, Ipredator is pretty good.

Do you know what you got the letters for? (ie. did Comcast put on the letter what you downloaded that flagged you?)

I am with a nightmare ISP as far as cracking down on copyright, and because I don't dl music/movies illegally and use private torrent sites where I can, I haven't been hit with a letter yet (whereas most of my friends have, and nearly all of them are with the same ISP as me). Try eliminating "high-risk" torrents from your downloading schedule for a while- eg recently released movies/albums on public torrent sites.
And I haven't gotten anything for Top Gear off this site obviously!

Try eliminating "high-risk" torrents from your downloading schedule for a while- eg recently released movies/albums on public torrent sites.
I second this. The one and only time I've ever gotten nailed by an ISP (Comcast, coincidentally) was because I stupidly downloaded a brand new and very popular audiobook on a very well-known public torrent site. Rarely a good idea, imho. Now I know better and stick to things more on the down-low.

First of all I would always use some form of blocklist.... Does your bt client allow you to use a peer blocklist? Otherwise use peer guardian... In my case I just didn't want to deal with torrents so I got a usenet account and all of my downloading woes have gone away. Seriously if you do alot of downloading its the only way to go

VPN is a good idea. Hotspotshield is free and works pretty well for me when I want to use online games from a different region, so I imagine it might work with BT as well.
+ericyoung's suggestions above

Never for Top Gear, however I've received one letter in the past. I download a lot.

Do you know what you got the letters for? (ie. did Comcast put on the letter what you downloaded that flagged you?)

I am with a nightmare ISP as far as cracking down on copyright, and because I don't dl music/movies illegally and use private torrent sites where I can, I haven't been hit with a letter yet (whereas most of my friends have, and nearly all of them are with the same ISP as me). Try eliminating "high-risk" torrents from your downloading schedule for a while- eg recently released movies/albums on public torrent sites.

You're with Bigpond aren't you? I wasn't aware Bigpond handed out any infringement notices.

iiNet hasn't given me any letters ever in almost 10 years of torrenting and downloading.

lulz..

I never received a letter, but after my sister decided to download The Hangover on a public torrent site after coming home from break one year we received one. My dad thought it was me, but quickly found out when my sister confessed.

After that day I decided to stick with Usenet. I use AstraWeb, 180 GB for $25, ~$0.14 per GB and 800 days plus retention for the win. I never upload anything to anyone when I download and the provider uses encryption with SSL and a login. I seem to think TV shows hit Usenet faster than torrents, but maybe that is just me. I know it might seem kind of stupid to pay to download stuff, but I've never looked back.

180 GB lasts me a really long time anyways . . .

Never heard of anyone getting such a thing here. Virgin is my ISP but sure that BT do not do it either - Question for Ukanians - any Ukanians ever got such a letter?

bump...question on letters and concerns over letters. I'm brand new to torrents and def don't want any kind of legal issues with an ISP. How much do you guys DL to warrant these letters? Is DLing numerous full seasons of Top Gear from this site and nothing else going to put up a red flag? Also will things like PeerBlock eliminate the need for worry?

bump...question on letters and concerns over letters. I'm brand new to torrents and def don't want any kind of legal issues with an ISP. How much do you guys DL to warrant these letters? Is DLing numerous full seasons of Top Gear from this site and nothing else going to put up a red flag? Also will things like PeerBlock eliminate the need for worry?
Again, you won't get a copyright letter for downloading Top Gear.

Never heard of anyone getting such a thing here. Virgin is my ISP but sure that BT do not do it either - Question for Ukanians - any Ukanians ever got such a letter?

i'm with Virgin as well and never had any such letter (touch wood). i mostly avoid the public torrents and rarely download anything movies or music that have recently been released. in fact i mostly use my torrents just for downloading anime.