Rumour Mill: Corvette C7 to have 440 HP 5.5-liter small block V8

FTFY

I don't car if it is a 3 liter engine that produces 400+ hp. It still produces 400+ hp so who cares? What are you going to do when they do some more tweaking and put it over 500 hp?

Displacement makes a difference when it comes to torque, specifically low end torque. This is why you can get better highway mileage out of the LSx motors than Audi/BMW/MB V8's with lower displacement. Hell you could probably put any Vette in 6th and drive everywhere like that...

Spectre: IIRC the Northstar actually wasn't a bad engine, the original "don't service it for 100k miles" thing was total BS but I'm not aware of any killer design flaws. Hell it was/is still one of the lighter v8 engines out there... though my memory is a bit hazy on northstar engine weights so don't quote me

People that are this confused about things in life usually are hiding in DEEP in the closet but are in denial. Considering he now owns a miata... Matt is there something you want to tell your parents that we've already figured out now? :tease:

Displacement makes a difference when it comes to torque, specifically low end torque. This is why you can get better highway mileage out of the LSx motors than Audi/BMW/MB V8's with lower displacement. Hell you could probably put any Vette in 6th and drive everywhere like that...

A lot of that also has to do with gearing, accel enrichment and loads of other factors. One thing the Germans tend to do is try and keep the engine where it has good passing power at highway speeds in gear. GM just goes for "get the revs way the fuck down."

Last edited:
Spectre: IIRC the Northstar actually wasn't a bad engine, the original "don't service it for 100k miles" thing was total BS but I'm not aware of any killer design flaws. Hell it was/is still one of the lighter v8 engines out there... though my memory is a bit hazy on northstar engine weights so don't quote me

I talked to a mechanic who is into drag racing about them. Apparently they fall apart when pushed due to their layered construction (the block isn't a complete cast, but various layers bolted down).

I talked to a mechanic who is into drag racing about them. Apparently they fall apart when pushed due to their layered construction (the block isn't a complete cast, but various layers bolted down).

Weird because GM used the factory block and head castings for their 4.0/3.5/3.0 liter turbo 10,500 rpm redlining IRL v8 race engines in the 90's... There's a couple of shops that make parts for them and claim the northstar can handle 9k rpms with upgraded valve springs and cams...