Rumour Mill: Corvette C7 to have 440 HP 5.5-liter small block V8

A7XFan22

Sauce

According to Motor Trend, which is citing unnamed sources within General Motors, the next-generation Corvette will come with a brand-new engine. Despite rumors to the contrary, it seems that Chevrolet's halo vehicle will continue using its trademark V8 engine and not a V6. Still, the C7's powerplant will be downsized from its current 6.2 or 7.0 liters.

It's likely that this new engine will be the first application of GM's next-gen small block family, and we'd expect it to sport direct injection, E85 capability and a new combustion system design. One thing not to expect, though: overhead cams. You can bank on the fact that The General will stick to its tried-and-true overhead valve design, which serves to lower manufacturing costs and allows for comparatively small overall engine dimensions.

All of these technologies should make the venerable V8 more fuel efficient and cleaner, but also sufficiently powerful to uphold its sportscar heritage. In fact, Motor Trend reports that the C7's V8 will displace 5.5 liters while hammering out 440 horsepower. Though that significantly smaller in displacement, the power figure would actually be up from the current 430 ponies. We can hardly wait... but we'll have to anyway. We don't expect the next Corvette to bow before 2012 at the earliest.

Last edited:
When has Motor Trend been right on the rumor front?

Actually motor trend has quite a history with 'next gen' corvette news. They called the C5 and C6 very accurately before anyone else did. I actually have the issue with the 'future' C6.

I've heard from various sources ("people on gm forums that are pretty-well trusted to be minor people in the GM cogwerk") to expect the next generation small block to retain the cam-in-block design as well.

On the plus side: Vtek, yo.

Actually motor trend has quite a history with 'next gen' corvette news. They called the C5 and C6 very accurately before anyone else did. I actually have the issue with the 'future' C6.

I stand corrected.

I've heard from various sources ("people on gm forums that are pretty-well trusted to be minor people in the GM cogwerk") to expect the next generation small block to retain the cam-in-block design as well.

On the plus side: Vtek, yo.

The LSx already as VVT.

Putting my fanboyism aside, the SBC is like the porsche 911 of engines. Its been basically going on and on for generations with only little tweaks, everyone says "Its outdated" and "The design team is lazy" (for both porsche and GM). But both are at the very least competent in their market, and many would say world-beaters.

That's because, unlike Porsche, when GM tries to design some other kind of engine (Northstar) it usually ends up as a great big fail.

Dood! The quad 4 and cosworth vega were totally 733t!!!

That's because, unlike Porsche, when GM tries to design some other kind of engine (Northstar) it usually ends up as a great big fail.

The LSx series is a redesign of the old SBC though.

Yes, as mentioned elsewhere. What I'm pointing out is that every time GM tries to design a V8 that's anything other than a cam-in-block pushrod model, it turns out to be fail to a greater or lesser degree.

Heck, they even had problems designing a good V6 and had to buy in Honda engines for a while while they got their heads out of their arses.

Yes, as mentioned elsewhere. What I'm pointing out is that every time GM tries to design a V8 that's anything other than a cam-in-block pushrod model, it turns out to be fail to a greater or lesser degree.

Heck, they even had problems designing a good V6 and had to buy in Honda engines for a while while they got their heads out of their arses.

TBH I don't think there is anything wrong with the cam-in-block SBC, it produces good power/torque and is lighter and more compact than just about any other V8 on the market.

I think direct injection is a given but I'm going to predict a more advanced VVT system, maybe a cam-in-cam design like in the Viper.

No way, GM needs to stop banking on what it did years and years ago and look to the future. Make a fast engine with low displacement, as long as it can be serviced with a wrench and junkyard parts, its a small block in my book. If they computerize it and make it "modern" in that aspect however, im going mazda full time. Im weary of variable valve timing in the modern LS engines as it is.

They're going to have to computerize it. Thank the Feds for the emissions and fuel economy laws that force the technology.

You should embrace it, though - weren't you the one saying that there should be laws to protect people from themselves? Well, that's where that came from.

Matt wants one of those 'retro-futures' - where they come up with something completely new, but that runs with technology from the 1930s and nothing more recent. :p

What i want personally and what is best for general motors as a successful business are two different things. My tastes and mental state are completely out of touch with the common man and i dont expect anyone to cater to them. Doesn't mean i cant blart on about them on a forum, where i cant do any real damage...

What i want personally and what is best for general motors as a successful business are two different things. My tastes and mental state are completely out of touch with the common man sense and i dont expect anyone to cater to them. Doesn't mean i cant blart on about them on a forum, where i cant do any real damage...

FTFY

I don't car if it is a 3 liter engine that produces 400+ hp. It still produces 400+ hp so who cares? What are you going to do when they do some more tweaking and put it over 500 hp?