Corvette ZR-1 unveiled

Isn't there some Japanese thing with a couple of turbos people were going on about? I know it had R in it, I think it had AWD? Can anyone remember then name of it https://pic.armedcats.net/2007/12/19/kekekegay.gif

Oh and to quote someone on another forum:

Fucking SKULL on the intake.

That is 10 different kinds of win.

Last edited:
Don't want any of this... It does look cool, but this much power & performance needs much more wild looks, plus men who will be driving it will probably have like the smallest penis.

I think the stick-on-bits are runing the simplicity of the base car. A little too over the top IMO, or at least too original-design-plus-tacked-on-changes.

Also i am 100% sure it will work on the road even worse than Z06 & of course it will be "American built car", which is almost never a good start...

Aha, here you should be wrong. They worked the kinks out of the magnetic shocks (in the Z06 development they couldn't make them tough enough for track duty, that has been solved). And note the fancy new leather interior as one of the only two options.

Do not want. I would rather drive a 300HP Ferrari than a 600HP Corvette.

The concept of the ZR1 is like a really fugly woman who gets DD breast implants. She might be fun to play with once in a while but her fugliness precludes us from establishing any serious relationship.

Just looks damn ugly and boring. Why? Well, Corvette design is like the 911 (another car I dislike), "evolutionary" as some of you may call it. Sure the design improves over the years, but it's not exactly a fresh new design. This 'vette might not be as plain or boring to look at as the previous 'vettes but we can see the original design in it, just like the 911s. And this original design, is what I don't like. The original design was great for it's time and by slightly remodeling it over the years, the new design can be called evolutionary, but what's the point when you've chosen a shitty design to evolutionize?

When I look at this new 'vette all I see is the C3 from the '60s with a new body kit and headlamps.
brodd.jpg

http://img177.imageshack.**/img177/4808/chevroletcorvettezr1347nl0.jpg

That's why I said this design was boring, OK?

And somehow, this boring design is what makes it ugly. Like the previous BMW 3-Series. But that said, it's not really that ugly. It's an OK design. However that perspex/plastic on the bonnet isn't what I'd call "cool". And the interior is quite rubbish.

However, the performance, is something which we can all agree on. It's quite impressive. :thumbup:

Note that on my original, unedited post I was only commentating on only the design, not the performance.

/Please leave me alone... *Gman hides in a cupboard*

Last edited:
Don't want any of this... It does look cool, but this much power & performance needs much more wild looks, plus men who will be driving it will probably have like the smallest penis.

And another thing is, GM is in about 19bn debt, so there might be an issue of cost-effectiveness when it comes to actualy releasing the car in 09, so they'll just probably drop the whole thing.
It's also is in a Seriously Uncool section of the CoolWall.

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize people still gave a shit about "penis sizes" when confronted with such impressively engineered machines such as this. I suppose anybody who drives anything greater than a Toyota Tercel is filled with penis envy? :roll:

As for the rest, listening to too much JC is hazardous for your health.

Thats just a guess. Considering they used more carbon fiber, I'd be surprised to find it much heavier, if not lighter.
One of the press releases states, "Curb weight of approximately 3,350 pounds".

It is a bit heavier, but considering all the new technology in the ZR1, 3,350 lbs is amazing.
Do not want.

Just looks damn ugly and boring.
Someone's afraid of some serious competition! :p

The s2000 doesn't have a big honking supercharger on it, but is naturally aspirated. Not yet, yank, not yet. ;)

/me puts his flame retardant suit on

Don't worry, you'll get it right some day.

HP per liter argument is incredibly stupid.

No, I was just voicing my personal opinion. And some pilliock neg repped me for it.

Seriously, What. The. Fuck. :rolleyes:

Need to be careful with this car. :p

Saying it's ugly and boring is kind of... well... BS. It's very far from boring, period. As for how "damn ugly" it is, I think you're exaggerating a tad. It's not an offensive design, which is more then you can say for most of the latest Ferrari products, which you seem to be a fan of.

One of the press releases states, "Curb weight of approximately 3,350 pounds".

It is a bit heavier, but considering all the new technology in the ZR1, 3,350 lbs is amazing.
I think it would be cool if GM did a stripped out track version to go up against cars like the GT3 Porsche and the new Viper ACR.

I don't care much for the chrome rims and exposed CF, but those are my only real complaints. The window hood is kinda cool, I think.

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize people still gave a shit about "penis sizes" when confronted with such impressively engineered machines such as this. I suppose anybody who drives anything greater than a Toyota Tercel is filled with penis envy? :roll:

As for the rest, listening to too much JC is hazardous for your health.

No kidding, I can't believe that people get so obsessed over the idea that they label any nice car a "penis replacement" or similar.

Jealously is a cruel mistress.

Cool car, Fugly as hell. Should be hella fast.... LEAFSPRINGS FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Take that you haters!

Opinions differ, son.

I know. But there is a difference between explaining what it is about the car that you don't like and being offensive about it. I don't think someone neg rep'd you for not liking the car, I think they neg rep'd you for being insulting about it.

Just a thought.

From what I can get from the press release the ZR1 was designed to be more road/daily driver friendly then the Z06 so everyone saying that the ZR1 will have a harsher ride might be in for a surprise.

According to Lutz, they wanted something that was docile around town, while still providing a smooth, never ending rush of power. While the Z06 is supremely fast on the track, many drivers have complained that the car can be scary to drive in the real world. The goal was to create a total performance machine that went well beyond the Z06.

No definite power output has been given by GM. The closes power rating being used by the media is 620hp........

Power

But Ron Meegan, the assistant chief engineer for the new 2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1's supercharged V8 (and formerly a member of the original ZR-1's engine team from 1990-'95), says he expects that once the new car's supercharged 6.2-liter V8 is certified, it will produce "greater than 620 horsepower at 6,500 rpm and 595 pound-feet of torque in the 3,600-to-4,000-rpm range

So even GM doesn't have a final power figure yet. Although you can be sure that if Meegan's superiors allowed him to mention any figure to us, they're not worried about making those numbers.

Performance

Juechter adds, "It's sort of like the Turbo but for less money and with performance ? more like the Carrera GT."

And just to up the ZR1's chest-puffing quotient, Juechter notes this car "will be able to take the production-car track record at any racetrack." Ex-squeeze me? And no, the company has not done an officially timed run at the N?rburgring yet.

As for top speed, Juechter says only that the 200-mph speedometer of the standard and Z06 Corvettes has been replaced with a 220-mph unit, because the standard one is "grossly inadequate."

Wheels

The wheels are a new design produced by Speedline, measuring 20-by-12 inches in the rear and 19-by-10 inches up front. They are covered (barely) by Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires, specifically formulated for this vehicle. At 335/R2520, the rear tires resemble something you might find in a steamroller; the fronts are a not-much-more-modest 285/R3019.

Suspension

First are the rear shocks. When you're stopped and the clutch pedal is depressed and you pile on some revs, the car assumes you want to launch it hard. It automatically softens the compression damping of the rear shocks, and this allows the rear end to squat and effectively shift more weight to the rear of the car for added traction. At the same time, the rebound damping of the rear shocks goes up to 99 percent of full stiffness. This means that the rear cannot spring back up under power in the up-and-down monkey motion of axle hop.

All this is perhaps the cleverest use of adjustable shocks that we've ever heard of.
Also, according to Juechter, the standard magnetic shocks allow the ZR1 chassis team to use softer springs than the Z06 for a more compliant ride. To further mitigate power hop, Chevy has also fitted the ZR1 with axle half-shafts of different diameters (33mm on the right and 40mm on the left).

Brakes

Juechter notes that the monster 15-inch Brembo carbon-ceramic rotors fitted as standard to the ZR1's rear wheels are the brakes originally designed for the front of Ferrari's 650-hp Enzo supercar. In the front of the ZR1, you'll find even larger 15.5-inch carbon-ceramic units.

Juechter says, "The only vehicle I know of that has these brakes as standard equipment is the 1,000-hp Bugatti Veyron." Then he adds with a grin, "Although I think you can get them as a $20,000 option on the Ferrari 599."

Supercharger

Why not turbocharging? "Well," says ZR1 chief engineer Tadge Juechter, "we built a turbo car and it burned. We didn't want to get into turbo lag or any drivability issues. We wanted it to be quicker than hell but still fun to drive."

Meegan tells us that Eaton's Twin Vortices Series (TVS) supercharger uses four-lobe rotors in place of the conventional three-lobe units, making it quieter and more efficient. The parasitic loss to drive the supercharger is around 70 or 80 hp, but it would have been more like 120 hp with the old supercharger (closer to turbo efficiency without the associated turbo lag), Juechter says.

It might seem strange, but the LS9 uses a lower-lift cam than the one used in the LS7, resulting in an idle that Meegan says is 11 percent smoother. Isn't this the baddest, leanest, most extreme, track-scorching, widow-making Vette from hell? Well, apparently, no.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=124018?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..1.*

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=124027?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..3

No kidding, I can't believe that people get so obsessed over the idea that they label any nice car a "penis replacement" or similar.

Jealously is a cruel mistress.

Corvette convertibles are for men with A) a mid-life crisis or B) small dicks or C) all of the above.

Z06 and this are neither of those.