Corvette ZR-1 unveiled

i hope they send it 'round the top gear test track. it might not fair so well but it doesn't matter. It look b-e-a-u-tiful and it'll make an epic sound. as much as i love GM i must admit that they've been screwing up a lot and the vette is one of the few good things they have going.

Actually I believe GM has really stepped thing up. I don't think they are quite to the point of beating the European and Japanese manufactures but from where they where they've come a long way.

Are we discussing the Corvette ZR-1 or a Ferrari in this thread? Damn it people, you already fucked up the Nissan GT-R thread comparing that with the Corvette, now you're comparing Chevrolets with Ferraris? This is ridiculous.

Are we discussing the Corvette ZR-1 or a Ferrari in this thread? Damn it people, you already fucked up the Nissan GT-R thread comparing that with the Corvette, now you're comparing Chevrolets with Ferraris? This is ridiculous.

The ZR1 has the enzo, 599 and Carrera GT's on its cross hairs. The GTR has the lowly 911 turbo.

I don't like it. I love the engine, the chassis, the use of carbon fibre to save weight, and the way it promises to drive. It just looks terrible, though. And I'm a die-hard C5/C6 fan, especially the C5 and C6 Z06 variants. The Z06's body changes are subtle and performance oriented...the small vents, spoilers, and ducts. The new ZR1 just tries too hard to look fast. The Corvette already looks fast, you don't have to tack on a bunch of bits. Sure, the rear spoiler and the front splitter may be functional, but you can't tell me that the rest of it is.
Let me put it this way. It's got an unpainted carbon fiber front lip, 20" chrome wheels, and a silly plexiglass cover to let you see into the engine bay. Sounds more like a product of Pimp My Ride than a bastard child of the C6.R. And yes, I know it's supposed to be more of a streetable beast than the Z06, which moves it towards the GT/Cruiser catagory, IMO. Problem is, it really doesn't work there, either. Does an Aston have silly chrome wheels, unpainted carbon, and a transparent hood? Nope.
I drive a Honda, the cars notoriously associated with kids with backwards hats and saggy pants, and I know that many of my fellow Honda drivers would love to have a clear hood, 20" wheels, and unpainted carbon fiber. And they'd be justifiably called ricers, if they had those things. The new ZR1 has them from the factory. Go figure.
Poor taste, Chevy. I'll stick to the Z06, thanks.

The Corvette already looks fast, you don't have to tack on a bunch of bits. Sure, the rear spoiler and the front splitter may be functional, but you can't tell me that the rest of it is.
Let me put it this way. It's got an unpainted carbon fiber front lip, 20" chrome wheels, and a silly plexiglass cover to let you see into the engine bay.

Spoiler: Functional
Splitter: Functional
Vents: Functional
Wheels: Designed to accommodate custom rubber & brakes, Functional
See-Through Hood: Nonfunctional

So, 4/5 of visual changes are functional. Form follows function - it's not "trying" to look fast, it IS fast.

Not normally a big fan of the American cars, but there is something about the latest generation of Corvette that I find very enticing.

The last Corvette with the ZR-1 designation had the Lotus designed 32 valve V8
(if I remember history correctly) which was quite the car in the 90's & looks as if GM have created another winner.

Car styling is very much a subjective thing & personally I like what I see. The only styling that I don't care for is the
polycarbonate "window," through which supercharger intercooler casting is visible. I bit to "boy racer" for my tastes but I could live with it :D

The rest of the specs sound quite amazing....almost like what a tuning company or enthusiast would do to improve the standard road car.

Kudos to GM for lifting their game & thus increase pressure on the "traditional" sports/hyper car manufacturers from Italy & Germany to do the same. Can only result in better cars all round.

I can't wait to read a road test & see how the ZR-1 fares against the European competition. It sure is a great time to be in the market for a sports car!

I'm not sure if we actually were the first to use chrome on cars, but we sure as hell made it look good, so damn the haters! Its American, it needs chrome!! :D

(awaits neg rep for this post)

Corvette FTMFW

Here is the Epic List.

1. Corvette ZR1
2. Viper ACR
3. 911 GT2
4. 430 Scuderia
5. GT-R Vspec (if they make a vspec)

Can't wait to see some comparisons this time next year...its getting damn good.

Last edited:
All I can say is... daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

Gotta get me one of those!

Steve

I believe the Chrome wheels are an option. The wheels on the grey car are silver, not chrome.

Nice cutaway illustration.

http://img524.imageshack.**/img524/5764/x09ptar0011963513gk5.jpg

I really hope they call it the blue flame eight. That would be an awesome retro touch.

I want Dodge to stick a supercharger on a Viper to shut up all of these Chevy fanboys. :p

You can get a Paxton supercharger installed as a dealer option on the Viper. Of course, I don't think it will be enough. :p

Ok I made this really tacky picture. You guys are gonna laugh.

ZR1.jpg

You can get a Paxton supercharger installed as a dealer option on the Viper. Of course, I don't think it will be enough. :p
Really? The NA Viper is making about the same horsepower as this thing...