Corvette ZR-1 unveiled

No one ever came out with anything that competed with it. The 350z was more powerful but heavier, the RX-8 wasn't a proper 2 seater sports car, the Miata wasn't as fast, and the Elise wasn't as comfortable or usable everyday.

It did get a change half way through it's life, they shoved a 2.2liter engine in it to give it a bump in torque, and eventually they tweaked the suspension and took some of the anti-dive/squat geometry to make it more stable.

Saturn sky redline and solstice gxp are pretty good competitors for it now.

Well, I think, if everything goes well, '08-'09 might see the return of the American muscle in a big way. Unfortunately it's very possible that the song may remain the same for the American manufacturers, but there are quite a few exciting models coming up (and already out: the sky and the solstice are two...well...one perfect example :?), and I hope the ZR1 is just the start :D

As for the Japanese and European "superiority" in that holy-grail of HP/L :lol:, I think the Americans have always done it a little different (I need to go back and read that excellently worded explanation a few pages back), but then again thats no excuse for the (overall) poor performance we've seen over the past couple decades ><

edit: oh, and I personally LOOOOVE the window in the hood...adds that perfect little bit of vulgarity :lol:

Last edited:
Dunno about you guys but I see the driver really fighting to keep the tail in line ... this thing looks like it wants to slide and have a bit of sideways action ...

Giggity Giggity

Whatever bud. So does the 599GTB, F430, Enzo, Aston DB9, Zonda, CCX, POrsche GT3 with traction control off or any high powered car for that matter. the 599 GTB is very hard to control with driving aids off. Just go listen to JC or any of the other writers who have driven it. Ferrari's driving aids makes the car look perfect in coners for dumb drivers. The ZR-1 was also running with the factory spec tires it is being sold with, not full race tires or semi-slicks. If it has on some sticky tires it would be way faster and wreck just about any exotic out there on a track. Just wait until Tiff gets his hands on this car. He loved the C6 ZO6 and he will love this one even more. If you want proof what a vette can do with 600+hp on a track then watch this video of a street driven ZO6 against Ferraris porsches and lotus. http://youtube.com/watch?v=hXSZwJr39TY

Last edited:
If you want proof what a vette can do with 600+hp on a track then watch this video of a street driven ZO6 against Ferraris porsches and lotus. http://youtube.com/watch?v=hXSZwJr39TY

Let's see, aftermarket mods, being driven by someone of unknown skill levels, against others vehicles also being driven by people of unknown skill level at anyone's guess of their maximum potential.

Proof? Far from it. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Z06 fan, but throwing up this vid as 'evidence' of anything is pointless.

Whatever bud. So does the 599GTB, F430, Enzo, Aston DB9, Zonda, CCX, POrsche GT3 with traction control off or any high powered car for that matter. the 599 GTB is very hard to control with driving aids off. Just go listen to JC or any of the other writers who have driven it. Ferrari's driving aids makes the car look perfect in coners for dumb drivers. The ZR-1 was also running with the factory spec tires it is being sold with, not full race tires or semi-slicks. If it has on some sticky tires it would be way faster and wreck just about any exotic out there on a track. Just wait until Tiff gets his hands on this car. He loved the C6 ZO6 and he will love this one even more. If you want proof what a vette can do with 600+hp on a track then watch this video of a street driven ZO6 against Ferraris porsches and lotus. http://youtube.com/watch?v=hXSZwJr39TY

And put those same sticky tires on the exotic... Thats what I like to call ricer logic. Always want to compare a modded car to a stock one.

so sticky tires is a modification?

Not IMO, but what gets on my nerves is when people say "oh just put x,y,z and it'll be faster than W".

My point being, if you change the tires on the vette then you should allow the tires to be changed on the other cars. Especially considering that tires are such an easy thing to change, and about the only way you'll get anything sticker than the factory tires are to go with barely street legal tires or non-DOT compliant stuff.

I'm on the fence about the tire issue. Personally I think tires should be looked at when comparing cars. For example, when comparing the 911 Turbo to the Z06. Since the Z06 only comes with a 6 speed MT and runflat tires, I always compare it to the similar spec 911T with runflats and 6 speed.

Of course, the Porsche fanboys don't like that very much. :p

I'm on the fence about the tire issue. Personally I think tires should be looked at when comparing cars. For example, when comparing the 911 Turbo to the Z06. Since the Z06 only comes with a 6 speed MT and runflat tires, I always compare it to the similar spec 911T with runflats and 6 speed.

:stupid:

and that is exactly how people should always look at it.

too bad that usually isnt the case.

but my thoughts on this car? fast as hell, actually faster than I thought it would be. I expected something roughly the same as the Z06 with added power and grip

this just floats around the track at such a high speed... its crazy
Id like to see other cars running this track for comparison. anyone know off hand where this is to?

Last edited:
^^I'm hoping turn 10 will release VIR in one of their DLC for Forza. What an awesome track.

Holy Shit that Vette hustles. Still don't like the look of it and would rather have a GT3. But hey its fast.

I don't how it looks, especially the garish new bodykit and transparent hood.

But, my goodness, that thing is mean.

I don't like it. Looks like a boy racer got ahold of it and gave all sorts of vents and glam racer stuff. They should have just put the engine in the Z06 without making any change. Z06 is the tits.

Performance wise I think it will be amazing but it looks cheap.

Last edited: