Countdown to the Federal Gov't Shutdown

It doesn't help that the tea baggers are constantly changing what they want and are attaching a bunch of non-budget riders onto their budget. Even though I'll be affected by a shutdown I hope Obama vetoes it.

Agreed. I'm upset that they were willing to cut so much as it is. And the lack of responsibility, hell pure selfishness, exhibited by the Republicans is disgusting. They've gotten the Democrats to offer unprecedented (and largely unnecessary) cuts to discretionary spending and yet they're willing to shutdown the government over a couple riders. Things that should be resolved through legislation, not the budget process. They don't care about the effect on the economy, on jobs, on trade, on currency, etc etc etc. It's just a big ideological circle jerk.

From far away here, I get the impression that John Boehner has no control so whatever over the house Republicans ... I think the word cacophony sums it up quite nicely. It?s not like this is a republican masterplan .... more like a headless chicken stumpling back and forth unable to decide where to go ...

This is like the last thing that the American economy needs...

As a side note, when the same thing happened in Australia the government was sacked

By the Governor General - an Australian who was taking the role the Queen has in theory. Benefit of the 'Westminster model'.

Some very ignorant people thought it actually was the Queen and went flying around the place demanding Australia should immediately become a Republic! Become a republic by all means but not because of a reason that did not exist.

Anyway - how will the US sort this out, or will they just shut down large parts of the government until someone decides that perhaps there is a role for government employees.

What is it with Americans and Abortion, a totally farcical situation.

Such a tiny ideological issue essentially shutting down the government of the world's "leading nation".

Last edited:
Well, what would happen, if Obama simply addressed the nation, saying: "Well, folks, let's face it. We're knee-deep into the sh*t. We have lived beyond our means, we are all in this together, it's pointless to look for somebody else to blame and only in a combined effort we can get out of it again. This means we all have to make our sacrifices. For the moment, the carefree times are over and I hope I can count on you all to help us prevent this country from going to the dogs."

Would the American people be willing to go with that or would they show him the middle finger? If the latter is the case, there is no hope at all, I fear.

Birthers would decry the fact that he "isn't even American," the left would assault them for that claim, and business as usual would continue in American politics. This country is spectacularly fucked, no denying it.

Well, what would happen, if Obama simply addressed the nation, saying: "Well, folks, let's face it. We're knee-deep into the sh*t. We have lived beyond our means, we are all in this together, it's pointless to look for somebody else to blame and only in a combined effort we can get out of it again. This means we all have to make our sacrifices. For the moment, the carefree times are over and I hope I can count on you all to help us prevent this country from going to the dogs."

Would the American people be willing to go with that or would they show him the middle finger? If the latter is the case, there is no hope at all, I fear.

I believe this is exactly what would happen. The majority of the general population is so simple-minded, that they are completely unaware of the situation. I know this because I am forced to work with people like this every day. Their only concern is increasing gas prices. None of them realize what a government shutdown would mean. And they are as simple-minded as to say that Obama is to blame for all of it and if he is sacked all will be well.

Why is that, you may ask. Despite the seriousness of the situation, so far it has had very little effect on everyday life in the US. People will not realize its seriousness until they feel it somehow in their own lives.

Shutdown averted.

From far away here, I get the impression that John Boehner has no control so whatever over the house Republicans ...
Then I think you've got a better grasp of the situation than most Americans. Even now that this years budget has been settled, we still have to raise the debt limit, there will be another budget to do next year, etc etc. The cracks in the House GOP are already showing. The rest of this year will be interesting, to say the least.

Why is that, you may ask. Despite the seriousness of the situation, so far it has had very little effect on everyday life in the US. People will not realize its seriousness until they feel it somehow in their own lives.
That's the only reason I think that a long government shutdown would've been a good thing. All these people parroting bullshit talking points about cuts, small government, austerity measures (though they don't know the meaning of the term), etc, have no clue what the effect of such policy would have on not only their own lives, but of the US as a whole and our economy. And the world at large.

Looking at the final deal and what the Democrats were willing to cut (without a peep about raising income taxes, closing corporate tax loopholes, ending oil/ethanol subsidies, etc) just pisses me off even more than if there had been a shutdown.

All these people parroting bullshit talking points about cuts, small government, austerity measures (though they don't know the meaning of the term), etc, have no clue what the effect of such policy would have on not only their own lives, but of the US as a whole and our economy.
What do you mean, the old amputate-an-arm-to-cure-a-sore-thumb doesn't work?! :shock2: