Covid 19 CRISIS

Screenshot_20210713-224541_Facebook.jpg

Sydney is now in it's 3rd week of lockdown, and have been informed today, we have at least another 2-3 weeks of it.

Yeah I read in the news that the virus has spread in the city despite the lockdown. Well, "spread" for Australian values of that word, but still, it shows that especially the Delta variant is no joke - as you can see when looking at the incidences in the Netherlands and Great Britain (although the Brits seem to reach the wave peak, some regions have already sinking numbers again).

Derek Lowe puts into writing what I did not dare saying:
Derek Lowe said:
Perversely, the current Delta variant may have done us a favor (although to be sure, I would rather it not have emerged at all). An earlier variant (Beta, the “351” strain) was actually better at evading vaccine protection than any of the others – not really to breakthrough levels, but certainly more than the rest. But it is disappearing from the world thanks to Delta being much more transmissible, and Delta is handled better by the vaccine-raised immune response. There are indeed vaccinated people who have come down with Delta infections, but the vast majority of cases are among the unvaccinated, a statistic that is seen most dramatically in areas where unvaccinated people are a minority of the population but are nonetheless the ones showing up infected.

Yeah I read in the news that the virus has spread in the city despite the lockdown. Well, "spread" for Australian values of that word, but still, it shows that especially the Delta variant is no joke - as you can see when looking at the incidences in the Netherlands and Great Britain (although the Brits seem to reach the wave peak, some regions have already sinking numbers again).
The problem with Sydney's lockdown is that the government never said what was essential and what isn't. So EVERY store is still open.
Ikea had 2000 close contacts announced the other day, as a staff member was contagious while working for 9 hours.
People were having gatherings at homes with extended family - as there weren't any limits mentioned on how many people could visit a home.
People were flocking to Bondi last weekend for "exercise", despite the fact they lived on the other side of Sydney, nowhere near Bondi.

It's perhaps coming down now, as, while they still haven't announced extra businesses to close as not being essential, they have now imposed limits on family gatherings, funerals, weddings are to be cancelled, exercise is no more than 2 people from the same house, within 10km of home. Browsing shops is not allowed. And people having to work outside of their local govt area, in certain hotspots have to be tested once a week, or in one place 3 times a week.

1626279677479.png

I'm not talking about @CraigB here...

1626291664235.png

But for real, does anybody actually give two shits about this? People in those states, are they really going to care?

View attachment 3561795

But for real, does anybody actually give two shits about this? People in those states, are they really going to care?

Generally, outside of the larger cities? No. They don't care.

There needs to be a mask mandate, period. But it won't happen.

View attachment 3561795

Stolen from the New York Times, I think this map does a little better in pinpointing where the problem areas are.

Screenshot_20210716-072238_NYTimes.jpg

Most of those darker colored counties in southern Missouri and northern Arkansas are quite rural. Like the big town in the county may only have a few thousand people. Heck, the county in total may only have a few thousand total population.

I've highlighted my country for funsies. Note it has a total population of about 120,000. Both of the hospitals in town are reporting growing COVID-19 cases that need hospitalization. Yet there is no talk of a mask mandate from Joplin, the county or the state. Vaccinations are dropping off too. They are readily available and require no appointment at this time.

Stolen from the New York Times, I think this map does a little better in pinpointing where the problem areas are.

View attachment 3561826

Most of those darker colored counties in southern Missouri and northern Arkansas are quite rural. Like the big town in the county may only have a few thousand people. Heck, the county in total may only have a few thousand total population.

I've highlighted my country for funsies. Note it has a total population of about 120,000. Both of the hospitals in town are reporting growing COVID-19 cases that need hospitalization. Yet there is no talk of a mask mandate from Joplin, the county or the state. Vaccinations are dropping off too. They are readily available and require no appointment at this time.

Is it in bad taste to say that first waves were vulnerable people dying, now it's the stupid that is? It's not like you can't get the vaccine, it's not like most if not all pharmacies have it, and it's not like it directly costs you money the day of to get the vaccine. It's straight up either laziness or stupidity or both.

NOW.

I understand there may be some with intense health problems that might prevent you from having one (cancer treatment, things like that), but that number cannot be the same as what we're seeing in infections. What, you're telling me that all those people with health problems that prevent a vaccine all live in rural areas?

Is it in bad taste to say that first waves were vulnerable people dying, now it's the stupid that is? It's not like you can't get the vaccine, it's not like most if not all pharmacies have it, and it's not like it directly costs you money the day of to get the vaccine. It's straight up either laziness or stupidity or both.

NOW.

I understand there may be some with intense health problems that might prevent you from having one (cancer treatment, things like that), but that number cannot be the same as what we're seeing in infections. What, you're telling me that all those people with health problems that prevent a vaccine all live in rural areas?

I blame Jenny McCarthy. She was the first one that I heard blame vaccines on causing autism. It's seemingly spiraled out of control from there. I guess all these people don't remember getting all their shots as children keeping them from horrible diseases.

One of our employees that spent 4 years swinging from the orange one's nut sack was in great form last Friday. Doubling down on how the vaccine is untested and unapproved. That he won't let them experiment on him. I just set there and starred at him with a "Are you f*ing stupid?" look. This is a man who, during the height of the pandemic, had to take his significant other to the hospital after she caught Covid, because she couldn't breathe. He still maintains it's nothing more than a common cold. He's not stupid, but he does buy into these really stupid ideas for some reason.

I know we're ticking up here in Orange Co., FL. Our mayor just recommended masks inside for all individuals, vaccinated or not. Thankfully, my girlfriend and I haven't stopped doing that, but we also really haven't been going inside much too. I'm still ordering groceries to be delivered.

My big rant about the vaccine is that these individuals who choose not to get it (as opposed to cannot get it, for a variety of legitimate medical reasons) are turning down a free vaccine at their corner supermarket or drug store that billions of people around the globe are SCREAMING to get put into their arms. It frustrates me to no end. Final Gear has allowed me to really grow a global viewpoint of things; same with YouTubers in Britain I like and my coworkers in Canada. One guy, hired the same week as me, lives in Toronto and he had his first vaccine back in May and has to wait until August for his booster. Meanwhile, my girlfriend and I had to wait 4 weeks (we both had Moderna) and that felt like forever. If more people in the US just got the vaccine, we'd be able to count them as covered and export more shots and help cut the spread both locally and abroad.

NOW.

That number is nonzero, but reasonably small - and easily bufferable wrt herd effects if everyone else got the shots.

I blame Jenny McCarthy. She was the first one that I heard blame vaccines on causing autism. It's seemingly spiraled out of control from there.

Even she's backed off a tiny tiny bit, saying she's PRO vaccine, but that her stance is more about transparency of side effect data, decision-making empowerment, etc.

But, yeah...she definitely spearheaded the movement.

Even she's backed off a tiny tiny bit, saying she's PRO vaccine, but that her stance is more about transparency of side effect data, decision-making empowerment, etc.

But, yeah...she definitely spearheaded the movement.

If she said that to start with, perhaps we'd be in a better place than we are now.

Plus, who gets their information on vaccines from a 2-bit B-celeb?

If she said that to start with, perhaps we'd be in a better place than we are now.

Plus, who gets their information on vaccines from a 2-bit B-celeb?

Never ask questions to which you don't want to know the answer Craig.

Nice article from the Atlantic that illustrates the problem we are facing here in Southwest Missouri.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/07/delta-missouri-pandemic-surge/619456/

It's pretty clear what's driving this surge, 20 to 40 somethings that, for whatever deranged reason, have decided to skip the vaccine. It spells it out and shows the rumors that are being chucked around the area of there being just as many vaccinated folks getting sick are completely unfounded. Imagine that.

I blame Jenny McCarthy. She was the first one that I heard blame vaccines on causing autism. It's seemingly spiraled out of control from there. I guess all these people don't remember getting all their shots as children keeping them from horrible diseases.

That reminds of this video on Andrew Wakefields' original study, the one that initially claimed a link between the MMR vaccine and autism. TL;DW: Whatever you thought about the study, it's far worse than you imagined...

Majority of Covid misinformation came from 12 people​

CCDH, a UK/US non-profit and non-governmental organization, found in March that these 12 online personalities they dubbed the “disinformation dozen” have a combined following of 59 million people across multiple social media platforms, with Facebook having the largest impact.