Covid 19 CRISIS

Yeah NYC stores are pretty much the same, Peapod (grocery delivery) is straight up down

We managed to leave Hong Kong just before the outbreak really started, which was lucky. Now we're at my parents place in France waiting for paperwork from Canada, hoping they don't close the borders before we can get there :huh:

DC1E0609-E252-4C4D-B2CF-A4A49B4C69D6.jpeg

I'm going to go against the grain here but all these measures being put in place to stop the virus are precisely the kinds of things we shouldn't be doing.

In the vast majority of cases symptoms are mild if not non-existent and the virus mainly seems to cause fatalities in those of very advanced age and/or with underlying health conditions. It's sad for those who would lose older relatives but it would be much better to allow the virus to continue its spread so that the population as a whole has a chance of developing a herd immunity.

Also, unlike the Spanish Flu of a century ago which decimated the working age population and had knock-on negative effects for years, COVID19's impact on the older members of society would actually, in the longer term, ease the pressure on healthcare systems as some those most dependent would be removed from the equation.

That may sound mercenary and cold but I am speaking purely from an objective point of view.

In the vast majority of cases symptoms are mild if not non-existent and the virus mainly seems to cause fatalities in those of very advanced age and/or with underlying health conditions. It's sad for those who would lose older relatives but it would be much better to allow the virus to continue its spread so that the population as a whole has a chance of developing a herd immunity.

Disagree. The point of social distancing is not to eradicate the disease, it's a) to allow time for research into treatment and later vaccines and b) to not overwhelm the hospital system with too many concurrent cases. The effect of b in particular would affect everyone.

I love how people are rationalizing this and trying to justify it being okay for those that are at risk to be exposed. Only a small percentage Wil die. How about we change our habits for a bit and mitigate the spread.

schools, restaurants, bars, cinema's, swimming pools, ... everything short of food-stores and dokters/pharmacies is closed
but of course we still have go to work

I'm going to go against the grain here but all these measures being put in place to stop the virus are precisely the kinds of things we shouldn't be doing.

The countries with the most experience of this, the WHO and ECDC recommend the restrictions.
https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publi...irus-disease-2019-covid-19-pandemic-increased

Look at Singapore and Taiwan, they were early with restrictions and that seems to be working for them.

Look at the post #3 above and the horror of what Italian doctors are faced with.

If you slow down rate of transmission the health system has a chance to cope, and find remedies.

If you don't it could get over run like in Italy, where dead rate is 6%.

Tories have run down health care system, well below EU average number of ICU beds, add in something like 40k nursing vacancies...

I love how people are rationalizing this and trying to justify it being okay for those that are at risk to be exposed. Only a small percentage Wil die. How about we change our habits for a bit and mitigate the spread.

Take on the chin as Boris said

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/...-to-oppose-democratic-coronavirus-bill-126962
US Republicans are set to oppose the House's Coronavirus Bill that includes provisions for free testing for coronavirus, bolstering of unemployment insurance, paid medical leave for those out of work due to the disease and additional money to ensure children continue to get subsidized lunches if schools close.
Helps to mention why....

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...sh-fund-loophole-in-coronavirus-stimulus-bill

Also, unlike the Spanish Flu of a century ago which decimated the working age population and had knock-on negative effects for years, COVID19's impact on the older members of society would actually, in the longer term, ease the pressure on healthcare systems as some those most dependent would be removed from the equation.

That may sound mercenary and cold but I am speaking purely from an objective point of view.

Given that this is the same tune that the government is running with at the moment, I really hope there is some sound science behind this and not just "chinning it up" nonesense that Brits thinks will solve anything. I have asthma and am therefore more vulnerable than the average person and I am concerned by the lack of action by the government. If this is the strategy they're going with, then atleast tell people TO STOP FUCKING HOARDING EVERYTHING IN THE SUPERMARKET. I couldn't even get f***ing eggs at 3pm today.

Here schools and day care are closed for the next 2 weeks. I could work from home, except I'm going away on a business trip, so I don't know how my wife will manage.

The swimming pool we used to go to as closed, but we have no words from the new one, so we don't know if our kids have swimming lessons tomorrow or not.

Given that this is the same tune that the government is running with at the moment, I really hope there is some sound science behind this and not just "chinning it up" nonesense that Brits thinks will solve anything. I have asthma and am therefore more vulnerable than the average person and I am concerned by the lack of action by the government. If this is the strategy they're going with, then atleast tell people TO STOP FUCKING HOARDING EVERYTHING IN THE SUPERMARKET. I couldn't even get f***ing eggs at 3pm today.
I was, as I said, speaking purely from an objective standpoint.

Subjectively I hope that nobody I know in any way is affected or loses their life or anyone close to them as a result of this thing.

I do, however, find this whole outrage and wall to wall news coverage more than a touch suspicious. BoJo just elected and dealing with Brexit, Trump wants reelection and to curb China's influence, right wing sentiments on the rise across Europe...

The concept of "a small war, far away" to secure power or retain it dates back to Julius Caesar if not earlier and Xerxes' attempted invasion of ancient Greece. Is this not just a variation on a theme using what is, essentially, a flu like pathogen as the enemy.

Schools are still open in NY for now, who knows how long thats gonna last though, Rogan had an interesting guest on.

Short version:

Long version:

And if this administration did anything other than lie constantly about everything, including the weather, I'd be inclined to agree with them. On the other hand, I can completely understand a Hyde Amendment exception if an organization like Planned Parenthood could use their network to facilitate testing of low income populations or even vaccine distribution.

They’ve Contained the Coronavirus. Here’s How.

Singapore, Taiwan and Hong Kong have brought outbreaks under control — and without resorting to China’s draconian measures.

Since identifying the first infections (all imported) on their territories — on Jan. 21 in Taiwan and on Jan. 23 in both Hong Kong and Singapore — all three governments have implemented some combination of measures to
(1) reduce the arrival of new cases into the community (travel restrictions),
(2) specifically prevent possible transmission between known cases and the local population (quarantines) and
(3) generally suppress silent transmission in the community by reducing contact between individuals (self-isolation, social distancing, heightened hygiene). But each has had a different approach.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/opinion/coronavirus-best-response.html

WHO urges countries to 'track and trace' every Covid-19 case

Advice comes day after UK decides to stop community tests and only test hospital cases

Countries should find and test every case of coronavirus to stop the pandemic, the World Health Organization has said a day after the UK announced that only the most seriously ill will be tested.

“You can’t fight a virus if you don’t know where it is,” the WHO’s director general, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, said at a briefing on Friday. “Find, isolate, test and treat every case to break the chains of Covid transmission. Every case we find and treat limits the expansion of the disease.”
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ntries-to-track-and-trace-every-covid-19-case

Last edited:
I'll be working from home starting Monday. We have Corona cases in my town now. People are panic buying like idiots.

Ditto.

No working from home for me yet despite cases in the city I work in. I'm pretty much done with using the train though so I might be driving the Smart to work next week. Or straight up taking it as holiday because I've got Friday off anyway and fuck that shit. Got to avoid it for another couple of weeks if I don't already have it because the week after is likely to be big. Places to go, people to see, cars to collect.