Covid 19 CRISIS

NooDle

Ik ben niet alleen lekker met kaas!
Car(s)
Kia EV6 "Mullet"
How the hell do you Aussies get to 95% vaccination rate? I’m guessing we’ll never get there despite efforts to push people to go do it/annoy people who don’t.

You guys don’t have antivaxxers? If so I wanna move there.

In related news, booster shot for me today. Heard some people were VERY sick from it, others were fine. We’ll see

Misrabelle

Got Vegemite?
DONOR
Car(s)
'03 Falcon BA XR6, '79 XD Falcon S, '08 X5 3.0D
Not replying to rants any more, just quickly pointing out a fact: With 95% VAX rate that hopefully is skewed towards 98% or more within the elderly and at-risk groups, this is to be expected. With next to no unvaccinated (who get even less due to their higher death rate), how shall they provide the majority of the dead? If your figure of 14 dead is correct at at 95% vaccination rate, 5% of the population provide over one third of the dead - corrected for population share that would be 152 unvaccinated dead vs 14 vaccinated.

EDIT: Nature has an article about our immune system being awesome: T-Cell response against Omicron stays basically unchanged/unharmed compared to OG covid.

Sorry, I knew that would be the bit you'd highlight, and I pondered how to word it as a factoid, without it coming across as that way, which was not my intention.
I understand how the numbers game works, and I'm obviously not anti-vax or a Covid-denier. It was just that I found it interesting that we'd reached that tipping point in NSW, when it was mentioned by the Health Officer in the media briefing.

My one and only problem with the current situation here right now, is that our Premier and his party willfully ignored the advice from the AMA and NSW Health, based on the experiences of other countries that were ahead of us in the spread of Omicron, and pressed on with removing all our most basic restrictions, two weeks after it was declared a 'variant of concern', and just as it reached our shores, because he wanted people to forget about it, and spend up big for Christmas.

When shit hit the fan, he said "No one could have predicted this!".
Then the "Covid Economic Recovery Committee" decided that "safety precautions" should be re-introduced the day after Boxing Day (but we won't call them restrictions, because that looks like a backflip: It's an election campaign year). Shouldn't those decisions come from a department such as NSW Health?

While they were at it, they moved the goalposts on what was a close-contact, who had to test, and how long they had to isolate, to bring the numbers down. But supply chains are collapsing, people have stopped spending money, and hospitals are overwhelmed. It's hard for it not to feel like the last two years of lockdowns and closed borders to flatten the curve, were all for nothing, since this guy decided to let it rip.

Then today, he wanders out at the press conference, and says "Look at our success!"

He can fuck right off.

Dr_Grip

Made from concentrate
Car(s)
79 Opel Kadett|72 Ford Country Sedan|92 Volvo 945
Sorry, I knew that would be the bit you'd highlight, and I pondered how to word it as a factoid, without it coming across as that way, which was not my intention.
I understand how the numbers game works, and I'm obviously not anti-vax or a Covid-denier. It was just that I found it interesting that we'd reached that tipping point in NSW, when it was mentioned by the Health Officer in the media briefing.
Didn't want to call you an anti-vaxxer or anything, just wanted to point out that this factoid only signifies super high vaccine coverage, and actually is a positive, as it can also be read as "150-ish deaths prevented in a single day".

Regarding the rest - it shows that Australia is behind in the "cases going up" cycle, compared to the rest of the world. Jump back in this thread to fall 2020 and you'll see similar complaints about politics from me and dozens of others :ROFLMAO:

Misrabelle

Got Vegemite?
DONOR
Car(s)
'03 Falcon BA XR6, '79 XD Falcon S, '08 X5 3.0D
How the hell do you Aussies get to 95% vaccination rate? I’m guessing we’ll never get there despite efforts to push people to go do it/annoy people who don’t.

You guys don’t have antivaxxers? If so I wanna move there.
Oh we do. They're quite vocal on social media, and at protests. Like Vegans, and Crossfitters. (That's a joke, don't come after me)

But most of the population is pretty laid back, and willing to look at the bigger picture. Like when tougher firearm laws were brought in after the Port Arthur massacre, most people were in the camp of, "yeah, that's fair enough".

Plus I think we're in a fantastic position geographically, that we could close the borders and keep it basically suppressed until such time as a vaccine was available - even if the "strollout" was bungled. We saw the death tolls overseas, the makeshift wards and morgues in places like New York, Florida and Italy, and people were scared.

Older folks are understandably worried about it. Younger folks want to be able to travel again. Lots of people have families overseas that they want to visit, and many of us will go to, or have already been to places that require vaccines for entry, so this wasn't a massive leap.

Edited to add: I think here we had a bigger problem with vaccine hesitancy. Especially among Boomers, who were up early in the program.
My Dad was one of them. He was eligible in the same group as my mother, due to underlying issues, and I asked if he wanted me to make his bookings with mine, but he wanted to wait and find out more about his options (Pfizer/AstraZeneca) first.

As Delta started to become a problem (case numbers in the hundreds/low thousands), then he told me to book him in ASAP as long as I could get him Pfizer. One letter from his doctor, and a connection to the boss of a national health diagnostics company later, he got it. I'll have to start annoying the hospital about getting him his booster while he's in there, as he's elligible to get it after next week.

Last edited:

ninjacoco

puffalump? inquire here!
DONOR
Car(s)
'10 Lulzcer GTS, '84 Porschelump 944, '71 VW 411

Dr_Grip

Made from concentrate
Car(s)
Or not, five weeks by now:
View attachment 3563673
I presume population density and geography plays a role here: in London we could see Omicron moving from quarter to quarter - and Tenerife may well be North Coast vs. South Coast. Similarly, we see New York (City and State) having peaked, while neighboring states still grow.

Here in Finland, the official prognosis is that the peak will come sometime in February. With 80% of the country well behind Helsinki and vastly thinner populated, that may well be the case, eventhough I still very much hope and expect the Helsinki area will peak during this weekend, or next week latest (and it may well peak a bit earlier in Espoo, Vantaa, or Helsinki proper, than on the other end of the metro area).

Last edited:

narf

Sgt. Maj. Buzzkill
Car(s)
'19 BMW M240i
I presume population density and geography plays a role here: in London we could see Omicron moving from quarter to quarter - and Tenerife may well be North Coast vs. South Coast. Similarly, we see New York (City and State) having peaked, while neighboring states still grow.
If I had to guess I'd say England had fewer restrictions in place than Spain, making the wave shorter and steeper.
Population is largely in the NE region around Santa Cruz, so the island's numbers will always be dominated by that region.

Dr_Grip

Made from concentrate
Car(s)
If I had to guess I'd say England had fewer restrictions in place than Spain, making the wave shorter and steeper.
Population is largely in the NE region around Santa Cruz, so the island's numbers will always be dominated by that region.
Sounds plausible as well. We'll see as more data comes in.

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
Passat Alltrack
I am finding this Djokovic saga very funny and satisfying.

Same here. I happen to be actively very much not interested in sports, if such a thing is possible, and it’s so satisfying that a world star gets kicked out because he thinks he’s above the rules. Doubly so because he’s a covidiot.

GRtak

Forum Addict

narf

Sgt. Maj. Buzzkill
Car(s)
'19 BMW M240i
What I find most sad and pathetic is the amount of media coverage this is getting. And the way he’s being treated like a hero.
This, very much. 1st long segment for 20-Uhr-tagesschau for some dude violating border policies is :roll: would only be valid if said dude was Putin.

Dr_Grip

Made from concentrate
Car(s)
So, we are now about two months into the Omicron mess. What can we see?
  • It's milder. For the first time ever, we see a variant that is milder than what we had before. And by now evidence is rolling in that it is not only due to population immunity, but also through the virus' main attack having moved away from the lungs. That's great news, especially since it will be hard for a future variant that causes more severe covid to outcompete this.
  • Vaccines are holding up against severe cases: Close to no vaccinated end up in an ICU, only few vaccinated end up in hospital, and those who need care there need it for a shorter time. Never the less, just as with any illness, people will still die of Omicron: If your body is weakened, be it through cancer/cancer therapy/some other disease, or just old age, something normally completely harmless can and will kill you. This is why news of "OMG first vaccinated omicron death" does not scare me.
  • Sadly, it's also spreading like wildfire, and not only because of immune escape - case numbers are going through the roof despite severe undertesting even in the best-equipped nations. For our small town (630k people) of Helsinki, estimates go towards at least 10.000 daily infections - that's an easy 1.5% of the population. Looking at data from South Africa, New York City, or London, I expect Helsinki to be peaking within the next few days.
  • Consequently, even the vastly lower hospitalization rate of Omicron leads to an overloaded healthcare system, amplified by staff absences. The next few weeks will be interesting, and not in a good way. Staying with Helsinki as an example: We have by far the best heathcare infrastructure of all of Finland, are already struggling now, and even with cases peaking within the next few days, the amount of hospital admissions will continue to increase for some time after that peak. Seeing that play out in rural communities will not be nice.
Public broadcaster YLE has an interview with several healthcare authorities echoing these points.
  • "At the moment, the situation looks moderately good, as the number of patients is not rising sharply now. The situation is not bright, but if we compare it with the biggest fears, then in that sense the situation is a little brighter." - Helsinki hospital district's (HUS) Asko Järvinen not exactly spreading cheer, but let's say moderate optimism
  • He expects the capital area to reach peak hospitalizations in early February. Given that it takes time for people to get into hospital and back out after hospitalization, this is in line with infection peak more or less right now or in the immediate future
  • Overall hospital load in Finland will increase throughout February as Omicron makes it's way northwards, though
  • 30% of Omicron infections hospitalizations in Helsinki are coming for another reason and only get diagnosed at admission, echoing data we've seen from New York city earlier. Same holds true for 15% of those in an ICU with covid.

D

D-Fence

Work colleague from my GF and her family (husband and baby of 5 months) went to a dinner with friends, everyone vaccinated and tested negative with antigen test. One guy had Omikron, everyone got it. Result:

Wife (2x Biontech): Running nose and slight fever for a night
Husband (3x Biontech): Nothing
Baby (nothing): one night of fever

That relaxed me even more, currently my only worry is our baby. I think with the current progress it's safe to assume everyone will catch Omikron within the next weeks, and I hope Covid is done after that and we can continue with our normal life after two years.

Also, we did a blood test for Covid Antibodies from infection, can prove if you had it within the last 6 months, we did not. My friend had them and can't even remember having a cold.

Regarding Mr. Djuvecreis:

"Djokovic is the only player to get kicked out of the Australian open for missing only two shots"

He's a cunt, and I think it's perfect that they sent him back, rich and atheletes think they are above the law, they are not. Now I hope he also gets Covid, long covid and his career is over.

ninjacoco

puffalump? inquire here!
DONOR
Car(s)
'10 Lulzcer GTS, '84 Porschelump 944, '71 VW 411
I am finding this Djokovic saga very funny and satisfying.
"Oh no! The consequences of my own actions!"

I do love that no one's above the law. I don't love that this wank is being held up as a hero by all the wrong people. Congratulations, I, a person who don't actively follow tennis, am rooting for this guy's failure now.

calvinhobbes

Forum Addict
DONOR
something funny about someone stupid:

Woman gets fake “proof” of COVID vaccination and takes it to a pharmacy to get a digital certificate. Pharmacy employee recognises the fake and confronts woman. Woman scarpers, but leaves her ID card behind. Police have a very easy job finding the idiot.

Dr_Grip

Made from concentrate
Car(s)
Finland's public health authority THL has given a statement to the government:
  • More restrictions will only prolong the pandemic
  • Tracking and tracing no longer has an effect
  • Restrictions on high-risk events (which in THL lingo include bars, sadly) should be extended until hospital load eases significantly
  • On the other hand, they say entry restrictions at the border are no longer justified
  • The peak of cases in Finland is expected during the turn from January to February
  • While not directly making a statement as to when load on hospitals will ease, the fact that they believe emergency laws should stay in force until the end of March give an indication