Covid 19 CRISIS

Contact tracing basically is the only thing that gets us out of this mess. If someone's infected, locate every fucking person (s)he has been in contact with. China used five people per infected person, but you can also use an App like South Korea if you don't have the workforce (then again, given the unemployment level in the US....). Then you put each of this person's contacts in quarantine and test them. Ideally several times, so that you can identify who has been infected, and quarantine that person's contacts. And test them all. And so on. This of course meaning getting the number of daily infections down to a manageable level first place, which is why we will spend at least two more weeks, including easter weekend, in fucking lockdown.

Over here we calculate with half a million tests per week being needed to contact trace a populace of approx 80 million. Now, the US has 327 million. Let's say 100 million starve because they are unemployed and you still need more than a million tests per week, if the maths done by our government is correct.

Last edited:
Contact tracing is important in the beginning when pursuing containment strategy but at this stage I don't think it would really be all that helpful. Where SK and TW did a great a job was testing everyone regardless of symptoms and doing follow up testing, that allowed them to get in front of the whole thing before it became widespread. Even then as soon as they relaxed stay at home policies they started seeing a resurgence of cases.

There been a few expert opinions floating around, among them was one that suggested we should actually start allowing low risk groups to go about their daily lives with some social distancing guidelines still in place and only keeping strict distancing/stay at home for those at risk. The idea being that it would allow the curve to stay relatively flat while also lessening impact on society.
if the maths done by our government is correct.
It is the German government so we can assume they are thorough :p

It is the German government so we can assume they are thorough :p

On this topic, they must not be that much off, given the data they show.

The reason why some Countries are seeing a resurgence in cases is probably tied to people coming in from abroad.

Once the virus has been isolated and crushed, none should be allowed in without quarantine, otherwise the circus is going to start all over again.

If, on the other hand, you choose to allow low-risk people to go on with their lives, you will need to keep people at risk locked in for months or years. Plus the possibility that low-risk people will get the virus and infect them anyway. I don't think that's feasible.

Or, you can tighten and relax the lockdowns from time to time, blocking the curve from getting out of control again, but that would crush the economy and the morale of people.

The situation is really a lose-lose-lose-lose situation. For me, I think the full lockdown, isolation, virus eradication and quarantined borders is the best way. Or maybe I am just too positive on the possibility this could work.

Once the virus has been isolated and crushed, none should be allowed in without quarantine, otherwise the circus is going to start all over again.

You're dashing my plans for ringmeet this year. :(

You're dashing my plans for ringmeet this year. :(

Will there even be a Ringmeet, this year?

(clearly, I hope we will be out of this mess, by then; I like to shuffle through the Ringmeet thread to read what happened and see the pictures)

Will there even be a Ringmeet, this year?

(clearly, I hope we will be out of this mess, by then; I like to shuffle through the Ringmeet thread to read what happened and see the pictures)

So far, yes. Per Thomas, "It'll happen even if there's 5 people that show up." :)

3D Printing 300 Face Shields… PER DAY

Today's Missouri update. A slight downturn in number of new cases, but a spike in deaths. Many counties are going to weekly updates, so the numbers from here on out are going to be weird. That seems rather short sighted right in the middle of this...

3,539 cases (+212) / 77 deaths (+19)

Missouri Covd-19 Total Cases and Deaths(1).png

Montréal is supposed to reach the peak in 3 days, way ahead of the rest of the country.

Latest provinciale wide numbers:

quebec-20200409.png

Last edited:

anyone else who feels quality of life has improved since covid-19?
working from home, only 4 days a week, when you are out, literaly everyone does his best to get out of your way
and nowhere to spend your money, we'll all be so rich when this is over :D

i'm having fun :)

Mine has. I'm on furlough so not working at all. The weather has stayed dry for over two weeks, I've started and finished several upcycling projects (see below) and have even found a local nursery that delivers so there are fresh plants in the garden.

Patio Stools
10392cf5ab834f048473835035351c2e.jpg
08aa0bb7c4580e2298a8fc84c80063e4.jpg
e9d631fde55355e8bb5917897cb51b6d.jpg

Potato Planter
23d0df37753c2f1aae823b203c886d69.jpg
a870a923eb77a871f3dd51d5a1d91793.jpg