Covid 19 CRISIS

Not to put a dampener on the whole thing but there is a pretty good chance it will never really happen. At least not in a particularly helpful way, there are something like 40 identified strains already, it’s not very likely that we can make a vaccine against all of them.
Good that you know better than the scientists.

Got my first day of real lockdown blues today. Not because of how things are now, but because of the outlook. Not even in economic terms, the causes for the current recession are external in nature and with furlough programs and other stabilization mechanism I see Europe well-equipped to recover.
For me, the outlook currently painted of a year without seeing friends in person, without concerts, without going to the movies, without new movies being made, without holidays, without Ringmeet, without everything, including even having a water cooler chat in the office, just sounds all too bleak.

Politicians and scientists say there are things we need to do like going to work and shop to keep the economy going, but there are things we can do without, like seeing our friends or going to the theater. I think this is a simplistic and overly mechanical view of humankind that completely ignores the need many, probably most people feel to socialize (the FG introvert armada notwithstanding). I, for one, don't want to live under lockdown conditions until a vaccine is on the market.

I mean, I know that people playing ball by staying the fuck home over the Easter weekend is paramount to us getting out of lockdown soon, and so politicians, scientists and press use worst case scenarios to pressure people into complying. Nevertheless, having a politician going on TV saying "allowing people to go on summer holidays will lead to apocalyptic scenes in fall" and that for him "the idea of people getting together to watch a movie before a vaccine is there is incomprehensible" makes me fear not only commercially for the culture industry but much more drastically for my sanity.

Last edited:
Good that you know better than the scientists.
Why do you feel the need to attack my opinions instead of providing actual constructive counter argument?
If you bothered to read a tiny bit down thread instead of offering your knee jerk reaction you’d see that Jack posted some more info, which wasn’t available in the original post, that showed my opinion to be wrong and I agreed that it was.

Moreover, my opinion wasn’t even particularly outlandish or something other *scientists* hadn’t mentioned before. It’s also not exactly unheard of to have a vaccine against a specific strain that is useless against all others, the flu comes to mind.

Hang in there Doc. We'll be through this before too long.

Could be worse, the government could be trying to open things too early and there's not a good safety net in place in your country. But let's not make this political. #theorangemanisanidiot

If this is just me then ignore - what's the point in posting only numbers? We can all go to the relevant sources for that.

Missouri Covd-19 Total Cases and Deaths(6).png

Its not enough, the states are being hung out to dry by Trump. Testing is needed on such a large scale in such a short time that it needs to be done by the implementign the DPA. Some estimates are that the US would need around 700,000 tests a day.

Is the problem a lack of test kits, or a lack of facilities. If the former, it doesn't matter if the federal government is running extra facilities if there aren't enough tests.

Is the problem a lack of test kits, or a lack of facilities. If the former, it doesn't matter if the federal government is running extra facilities if there aren't enough tests.

It is both.

Here is some perspective to the numbers.

Started to late. CDC wanted to control it, but the all needed to work in parallel.

Will never do the volume unless DPA is full used. In China they do the virus test and antibody test so you can go back to work.

CNN did an investigation

Got my first day of real lockdown blues today. Not because of how things are now, but because of the outlook. [...] For me, the outlook currently painted of a year without seeing friends in person, without concerts, without going to the movies, without new movies being made, without holidays, without Ringmeet, without everything, including even having a water cooler chat in the office, just sounds all too bleak.
I can totally understand that, and I'm in a similar mood.

First, I want to admit that my problems are very mild, objectively speaking. My job is still there, I can even work from home - so my work situation has actually improved, apart from me now paying the increased bills for electricity and toilet paper that come with being at home and at the computer all day long.
And my private life has never involved much of social activities. My main hobbies involve good weather, a vehicle and preferrably empty roads - all fine on that front. ;) Still, being forced to sit here alone is totally different. In addition to that, the anxiety that kicks in as soon as I have to go out for groceries or similar is very disturbing. I could deal with a few weeks of this, of not meeting friends, of not having chit-chat with colleagues. But the prospect of this going on for months depresses me. And the uncertainty is what really takes a toll.

Even under normal circumstances, I live my daily life holding on to the anticipation of the next weekend meeting with friends (the little pleasures in life), and on a bigger scale the anticipation of the next summer adventure. And now it looks like all of these are taken away for the foreseeable future. I had just overcome my usual winter depression (which is regularly caused by my good-weather-hobbies on hiatus and my birthday), and now this.
At the moment, here in Germany there is discussion about how and when to lift the Corona prevention measures, how to get life back to normal. And to be completely honest, some of the proposals scare me. There is talk about having the "risk group" continuing to self-isolate while "normal" people will be allowed to resume their life. What now, I am supposed to sit in my flat while most of the people can meet again? Until we have a vaccine? Deep in my rational mind I am very sure it won't be implemented that way (mostly because the "risk group" is far too large), but the fear is there. I am not afraid of the Covid-19 sickness itself, but I am becoming increasingly afraid of the measures taken to contain the spread.

The part of me that just wants to see the world burn hopes for a drastic increase in suicides, that would have great popcorn potential.
And in my opinion we should loosen the restrictions on medically assisted suicide (we should do that anyway), so people can have a quick and dignified death if their Covid-19 turns too serious. I would certainly prefer that to intrusive ventilation. If people want to go out and bear the risk of being infected, let them. And give them suicide pills so they don't have to suffer.

As someone who lives alone, I can only x2/x3 the above. I make a point of walking around the park every day, but even then I'm becoming more and more starved of social stimulation. It has thankfully not become a dark time for me, yet.

I'm personally relatively positive about how long this will last. I can't see a lockdown lasting that long into the summer, atleast here in the UK where the government is one of the most right-wing in recent history who will at some point favour economics over healthcare best practice.

I'm lucky enough that I live with my wife and kids.

Sure sometimes the kids get annoying, specially after a few weeks without the normal routine and without contacts with the school environment, but the alternative would be way worst.

I'm sad for my mom who lives alone, I try to do video calls to her multiple times a week.

I still have my job (albeit with a 10% salary cut), I can still go for a bicycle ride (plenty of cycle paths around), I can play Card Against Humanity online.

I am a bit confused at the "thumbs up" reactions to my previous post. What do you guys mean? Much of the post is me complaining about how the situation affects my psyche...

I can play Card Against Humanity online.
That sounds like a great idea. :) Let's try to get some people together for that, despite time differences and all that.

But first things first, I need to go out for a walk. Weather is far too good not to.

This. FG CAH Group Game? Count me in.

I was playing Exploding kittens throughout the long weekend. Can recommend as an online game as well, with video call backing.