Covid 19 CRISIS

Today's Missouri Update

Missouri Covd-19 Total Cases and Deaths(5).png

Missouri Covid-19 Cases - Logarithmic Chart.png

It looks like obesity is a significant risk factor leading to serious cases with Covid-19. A Chinese paper suggests the same.

The situation in Norway looks ok, barring the circumstances. On average we have fewer new cases per day, which is good. At the time of typing this, we have 6937 cases in total in Norway, with 80 new cases today. There are very few outside of Oslo, actually. Not surprising, as Norwegians are usually good at social distancing also in non-pandemic circumstances (too good actually, just look at our suicide statistics) It also helps that Norway outside of Oslo is sparsely populated.

The amount of people hospitalized has fallen from the peak of 324 on April 1st to 165 currently, of these 65 are in intensive care, out of those, 51 rely on a ventilator, the peak was 98 on April 4th. We have 168 deaths in total with 9 in the last 24 hours, average age is 84. Roughly 2/3 of the deaths have occurred in nursing homes.

The plan now is to carefully open the society again, starting with some kinder gardens on Monday 20th, and elementary school on the 27th. They will also start to let some businesses open, but with very strict distancing/hygiene rules. They have also rolled out an app to trace infections and contacts.

Still, there is no hope for me getting out of my home office situation, as we have a reasonably well functioning home office solution and therefore doesn't need to be at work (all of our case files since 2010 are digital), but it is weird to sit and make decisions regarding people's future in Norway from my home. I'm happy that I kept my desktop PC (with it's 27" monitor that luckily has an HDMI-input), but I ended up buying a new wireless keyboard (my old keyboard was from 2001 or thereabout...) and mouse, just one button to switch them over to my work laptop. I'm probably going to be stuck with this until the summer, or maybe past it even. They are talking of having to practice aggressive social distancing all of 2020, also most likely no trips abroad.

If that's your takeaway then you misunderstood me. I'll reiterate: If you take a bunch of facts and came to a BS conclusion from those, that conclusion being BS doesn't invalidate the facts you used to come to that BS conclusion - those facts can still be facts.
Sure but the facts are not in question here, the conclusion is. The entire point of the article is to arrive at the conclusion stated in the headline. This is exactly how propaganda is created, cherry pick some facts and draw a false conclusion. I would think given the history of your country you’d understand why some of us are so unhappy with that article, especially from a well regarded publication.

To add to Lev’s post, back in February Dr Oxiris Barbot, the NY health commissioner tweeted out that Corona virus was a hoax and encouraged people to go to the chinese new year celebration. She is now in all my YouTubes telling me to stay home.

There was also DiBlasio and Cuomo fighting about issuing shelter in place orders even after SF went into lockdown.

Trump could have done more from the get go for sure, especially after we saw lockdowns in Wuhan and Italy but at the same time I’d say his about average compared to other leaders at this point.

Last edited:
Let's say female governors really have been incredibly influential and effective. What's the takeaway here, what's the conclusion? That women are better politicians than men? That we should base our votes in part on gender? Total nonsense.

Last edited:
Fuck it, I'll get political for one post.

Trump has been acting against COVID-19 all along, while the Democrats and the mainstream media (but I repeat myself) bad-mouthed him for it. Meanwhile, China constantly lied and Europe didn't react all that early either (can't blame them - they didn't have a crystal ball).

Want evidence from such a wide variety of sources that even you can't complain?

Want to know why I didn't want to bring politics into this thread when it was first posted? Because I knew that you (and others, but mostly you) would post nothing but ignorant opinion pieces bashing Trump. And sure enough, here we are in the midst of a global pandemic, a time when you'd think we'd set aside our political differences, come together, and do our best to survive, and you're constantly bashing Trump as if he could've predicted the future. I, for one, am glad that Trump didn't listen to Pelosi, de Blasio, or the media, but you've never said boo about their nonsense, have you?

Can't wait to come back to the typical nonsensical one-liner response from you!

The early screenings were limited to 3 or 4 airports, and they were done at the direction of the CDC, not Trump.

Here is an article that is a timeline of what the WHO and Trump said. You will notice that you left out of your timeline the WHO's warning on the 30th of January.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsa...navirus-comments-from-president-trump-and-who

A Timeline Of Coronavirus Comments From President Trump And WHO

Jan. 23

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said in a statement that it was too early to declare the coronavirus outbreak a public health emergency of international concern. "Make no mistake. This is an emergency in China, but it has not yet become a global health emergency. It may yet become one."

Jan. 24

In a tweet, Trump praised China for its efforts to prevent the spread of the virus. "China has been working very hard to contain the Coronavirus. The United States greatly appreciates their efforts and transparency. It will all work out well. In particular, on behalf of the American People, I want to thank President Xi!"

Jan. 29

Dr. Mike Ryan, head of the WHO's Health Emergencies Programme, said, "The whole world needs to be on alert now. The whole world needs to take action and be ready for any cases that come from the epicenter or other epicenter that becomes established."

Jan. 30

At a campaign rally in Iowa, Trump talked about the U.S. partnership with China to control the disease. "We only have five people. Hopefully, everything's going to be great. They have somewhat of a problem, but hopefully, it's all going to be great. But we're working with China, just so you know, and other countries very, very closely. So it doesn't get out of hand."

Tedros announced that the outbreak had become a "public health emergency of international concern over the global outbreak of novel coronavirus."

Feb. 2

In an interview with Sean Hannity, Trump said, "We pretty much shut it down coming in from China." His executive order banning anyone who has been in China in the previous 14 days — with exceptions, including for U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents and their close family members — went into effect.

Feb. 4

At a WHO briefing, Tedros urged that there be no travel bans. "We reiterate our call to all countries not to impose restrictions that unnecessarily interfere with international travel and trade. Such restrictions can have the effect of increasing fear and stigma, with little public health benefit. ... Where such measures have been implemented, we urge that they are short in duration, proportionate to the public health risks and are reconsidered regularly as the situation evolves."

Feb. 10

At a campaign rally in Manchester, N.H., Trump said: "Looks like by April, you know, in theory, when it gets a little warmer, it miraculously goes away. I hope that's true. But we're doing great in our country. China, I spoke with President Xi, and they're working very, very hard. And I think it's going to all work out fine."

Feb. 11

At a WHO briefing, Tedros urged world leaders to give priority to containing the virus: "To be honest, a virus is more powerful in creating political, economic and social upheaval than any terrorist attack. A virus can have more powerful consequences than any terrorist action, and that's true. If the world doesn't want to wake up and consider this enemy virus as Public Enemy Number 1, I don't think we will learn our lessons."

Feb. 13

In an interview with Geraldo Rivera, Trump characterized the threat of the virus in the U.S. by saying: "In our country, we only have, basically, 12 cases, and most of those people are recovering and some cases fully recovered. So it's actually less."

Feb. 24

In a tweet, Trump wrote, "The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA. We are in contact with everyone and all relevant countries. CDC & World Health have been working hard and very smart. Stock Market starting to look very good to me!"

Feb. 26

In a news conference, Trump said: "When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."

Feb. 28

The WHO raises the global risk of the coronavirus from "high" to "very high."

March 5

In a WHO briefing, Tedros praised China and the U.S. for taking "the right approach." He said: "After our visit to Beijing and seeing China's approach, and President Xi leading that, and also in the U.S., President Trump himself, and also for regular coordination, designating the vice president. These are the approaches we're saying are the right ones, and these are the approaches we're saying are going to mobilize the whole government."

In a Fox News town hall, Trump said, "It's going to all work out. Everybody has to be calm. It's all going to work out."

More at the link.

Is anyone else excited to see how this is going to come together?

rolling-stones-global-citizen.jpg

CURATED IN COLLABORATION WITH LADY GAGA
APPEARANCES BY
ADAM LAMBERT • ALICIA KEYS • AMY POEHLER • ANDRA DAY • ANDREA BOCELLI • ANGÈLE • ANITTA • ANNIE LENNOX • AWKWAFINA • BECKY G • BECKY LYNCH • BEN PLATT • BILLIE EILISH • BILLIE JOE ARMSTRONG • BILLY RAY CYRUS • BLACK COFFEE • BRAUN STROWMAN • BRIDGET MOYNAHAN • CAMILA CABELLO • CASSPER NYOVEST • CELINE DION • CHARLIE PUTH • CHRIS MARTIN • CHRISTINE AND THE QUEENS • COMMON • CONNIE BRITTON • DANAI GURIRA • DAVID & VICTORIA BECKHAM • DELTA GOODREM • DON CHEADLE • EASON CHAN • EDDIE VEDDER • ELLEN DEGENERES • ELLIE GOULDING • ELTON JOHN • ERIN RICHARDS • FINNEAS • HEIDI KLUM • HENRY GOLDING • HOZIER • HUSSAIN AL JASSMI • IDRIS AND SABRINA ELBA • J BALVIN • JACK BLACK • JACK JOHNSON • JACKY CHEUNG • JAMEELA JAMIL • JASON SEGEL • JENNIFER HUDSON • JENNIFER LOPEZ • JESS GLYNNE • JESSIE J • JESSIE REYEZ • JIMMY FALLON • JIMMY KIMMEL • JOHN LEGEND • JUANES • KACEY MUSGRAVES • KEITH URBAN • KERRY WASHINGTON • KESHA • THE KILLERS • LADY ANTEBELLUM • LADY GAGA • LANG LANG • LESLIE ODOM JR. • LEWIS HAMILTON • LIAM PAYNE • LILI REINHART • LILLY SINGH • LINDSEY VONN • LISA MISHRA • LIZZO • LL COOL J • LOLA LENNOX • LUIS FONSI • LUPITA NYONG’O • MALUMA • MAREN MORRIS • MATT BOMER • MATTHEW MCCONAUGHEY • MEGAN RAPINOE • MICHAEL BUBLÉ • MILKY CHANCE • NATTI NATASHA • NIALL HORAN • NOMZAMO MBATHA • OPRAH WINFREY • PAUL MCCARTNEY • PHARRELL WILLIAMS • PIERCE BROSNAN • P.K. SUBBAN • PICTURE THIS • PRIYANKA CHOPRA JONAS • RITA ORA • THE ROLLING STONES • SAM HEUGHAN • SAM SMITH • SAMUEL L JACKSON • SARAH JESSICA PARKER • SASHA BANKS • SEBASTIÁN YATRA • SHAH RUKH KHAN • SHAWN MENDES • SHERYL CROW • SHO MADJOZI • SOFI TUKKER • STEPHEN COLBERT • STEVIE WONDER • SUPERM • TAYLOR SWIFT • TIM GUNN • USHER • VISHAL MISHRA • XAVIER WOODS • ZUCCHERO

DAMN

The early screenings were limited to 3 or 4 airports, and they were done at the direction of the CDC, not Trump.

Here is an article that is a timeline of what the WHO and Trump said. You will notice that you left out of your timeline the WHO's warning on the 30th of January.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsa...navirus-comments-from-president-trump-and-who

A Timeline Of Coronavirus Comments From President Trump And WHO

More at the link.
Going back even farther, Trump dismantled the national stockpile of PPE, fired the CDC official assigned to China to keep these outbreaks contained, ignored intelligence warnings going back to November of 2019, and put "Pray It Away" Pence in charge of half-measures 4 months late.

What's most impressive is that it took Trump only three years to undo the progress of presidents going back to the 1990s.

Going back even farther, Trump dismantled the national stockpile of PPE, fired the CDC official assigned to China to keep these outbreaks contained, ignored intelligence warnings going back to November of 2019, and put "Pray It Away" Pence in charge of half-measures 4 months late.

What's most impressive is that it took Trump only three years to undo the progress of presidents going back to the 1990s.

I am well aware, but this was about how Trump downplayed things from the time he got a briefing and ignored the information.