Covid 19 CRISIS

A little update from Germany:
  • Infections are on the rise again since many things have reopened. [...] Nevertheless, after two or three weeks with like no or at most two new cases per day, we are back a low double-digit numbers per day for a week now. This has me a bit concerned.
A certain degree of additional cases was to be expected when opening stuff up back again. Even Finland or the Baltics will see this to a degree.
The question whether Germany opened too early is still open, though - but what's the worst case? Localized partly shutdowns for a few weeks to get numbers back in check - a third or so of Germany hasn't had a case in the last weeks IIRC.

View attachment 3557826

What's interesting to me is seeing the peaks and valleys makes me think the way people are responding to this like you see something on the internet. You go "Oh, my god, we should be careful!" to "I'm bored, this sucks, I'm going out!"
Aren't the troughs just weekends, i.e. less testing?

Similarly to Germany, we're seeing some spikes lately in CZ, centered around a coal mine near the Polish border. The Silesia region across the border in Poland has been an epicenter for some time, so possibly dragged in from there. Other than that, things seem mostly under control.

No Ring meet for you!

I don't blame them. If there was a coherent message coming from officials from across the country, maybe, but there isn't.

No Ring meet for you!

I don't blame them. If there was a coherent message coming from officials from across the country, maybe, but there isn't.

I can finally slit my wrists then. (not serious!)

Really though, instead of doing what every old person accuses every young person of doing, why don't you get off your phone and do something. Such a disappointment, up and down.

Governors Cuomo, Murphy and Lamont Announce Joint Incoming Travel Advisory
June 24, 2020 - Governor Andrew M. Cuomo, New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy and Connecticut Governor Ned Lamont today announced a joint incoming travel advisory that all individuals traveling from states with significant community spread of COVID-19 quarantine for a 14-day period from the time of last contact within the identified state.

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/go...t-announce-joint-incoming-travel-advisory-all

Why is my state never in the news for being not-a-fuck-up?

Last edited:
Things are just getting better and better. Got a message from personnel.

Dear all,

When scheduling service technicians or planning a sales meeting please keep the following in mind:

New York, New Jersey and Connecticut issued a travel advisory Wednesday that people arriving from states with high coronavirus rates must quarantine for 14 days. As of Wednesday (yesterday), the advisory applies to Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, Utah and Texas. It begins tonight at midnight. Washington State was originally on the list, but due to a discrepancy in their reporting, which has since been corrected, and the state was removed from the list. Texas is seeing record-high levels of hospitalizations for Covid-19. Amid rising hospitalizations in North Carolina, the state will “pause” its move into the next phase of reopening and make masks required statewide in public when distancing is not possible. In Florida, more than 20,000 people tested positive for the virus over the last five days ending Tuesday; in New York, where far more people are being tested daily, roughly 3,100 tested positive over those same five days. A handful of states — including Maine, Rhode Island and Hawaii — have required out-of-state travelers to quarantine. A larger number have asked travelers to quarantine but do not mandate doing so. And a few, such as Florida and Kansas, apply the requirement only to those coming from certain states.

Please avoid travel to those states as much as possible to keep everybody safe, and conduct meetings over the phone and/or online.

And in Michigan, some people went to a bar and partied like it was 1999.

And in Michigan, some people went to a bar and partied like it was 1999.

Montana? People live close enough to have this become an issue?

Just a message to all the good folk of FinalGear. This ain't over by a long way. Face masks, regular hand washing and keep your distance to 2m or about 6'6".

And none of those fucking Klopfer things or too much booze if Ringmeet happens. I'd hate to lose any one of you.

Just a message to all the good folk of FinalGear. This ain't over by a long way. Face masks, regular hand washing and keep your distance to 2m or about 6'6".

And none of those fucking Klopfer things or too much booze if Ringmeet happens. I'd hate to lose any one of you.
Really just at the start.....

Bill Gates discusses his pandemic prediction, and why the US is struggling to contain the coronavirus.

1593303221120.png

One of our regional hospitals is officially at capacity. This hospital serves a huge area of southern Utah, including a city known for its retirees.

This is when the deaths start to mount up, these people will need to be flown via Life Flight to Salt Lake, further saturating the urban area hospitals that are already taking in patients from neighboring counties.

One of our regional hospitals is officially at capacity. This hospital serves a huge area of southern Utah, including a city known for its retirees.

This is when the deaths start to mount up, these people will need to be flown via Life Flight to Salt Lake, further saturating the urban area hospitals that are already taking in patients from neighboring counties.

They're not telling the whole story there. The hospital is "near capacity," though we all know that could become "at capacity."
But, I'm not sure where the patient numbers are actually coming from because the in-hospital COVID numbers here at the moment aren't terrible. Being a local physician, I get a daily update on the hospital numbers. Out of 230 total current patients in the hospital (as of yesterday), only 20 are COVID positive, with 6 of those in the ICU (20% of ICU capacity).
There was a surge earlier in the week up to 10 ICU COVID patients, which would have put the ICU here at about 1/3 of its capacity with COVID positive patients. They did report the ICU was at capacity and they almost had to add "surge beds" elsewhere in the hospital for more critical patients. But, again, even at that time only 1/3 of the ICU patients were for COVID.
So, at the moment, less than 10% of the current patients are there with COVID. Something else is going on to push the hospital to near-capacity and I don't know what it is. Usually this time of year is fairly quiet for other medical problems.

That said, the number of positive tests is rising quickly here and the hospital could easily go over capacity within a couple of weeks if the trend continues.

Last edited: