Covid 19 CRISIS

So far breathing is ok, but I'm concerned with what my sister has been telling them. "I'm concerned f you go to the hospital that they'll admit you and you'll get worse because you won't be up walking around. Please get up and walk around so you don't get pneumonia."

I'm not pushing them and neither is their doctor. The doctor has only said "if you have shortness of breath, go to the hospital." I see my sister sewing doubt in them getting help.
Annnnnnd now my brother is showing signs with a fever today. Don't worry, this is just the flu, it's not bad at all. /s

US coronavirus cases for each day in November:

Nov. 1: 76,771
Nov. 2: 86,589
Nov. 3: 91,910
Nov. 4: 104,296
Nov. 5: 121,289
Nov. 6: 126,731
Nov. 7: 125,100
Nov. 8: 109,177
Nov. 9: 133,819
Nov. 10: 131,990
Nov. 11: 148,302

OPEN THE SCHOOLS!

So still no mask mandate, he just hopes more people choose to wear one, and he'll be relaxing school restrictions. Missouri fucking deserves this asshole.

https://www.kmov.com/news/gov-parso...c-11eb-93d6-4fd8d7a365ec.html?block_id=990844

mah freedums.png

More good news:
Nature Mag said:
Scientists who have reviewed data [on the Danisk mink mutations] say the mutations themselves aren’t particularly concerning because there is little evidence that they allow the virus to spread more easily among people, make it more deadly or will jeopardize therapeutics and vaccines.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-03218-z

A clear pattern, sadly, is emerging here. The mid to long term looks great, the short to mid term looks dire.

Last edited:
Good, and slightly more precise than Pfizer's, news from Moderna:
Stat/Moderna/Dr. Fauci said:
The Moderna vaccine reduced the risk of Covid-19 infection by 94.5%. There were 95 cases of infection among patients who received placebo in the company’s 30,000-patient study. There were only five infections in patients who developed Covid-19 after receiving Moderna’s vaccine, mRNA-1273.
[...]
Moderna also released data about the number of patients who had severe Covid-19. There were 11 cases of severe disease, all of them in the placebo group.
[...]
“It wasn’t as if the only people who were protected were the young people. There were people in the elderly, there were people in the minorities,” Fauci said. Efficacy was “really consistent across all groups.”
https://www.statnews.com/2020/11/16...s-strongly-effective-early-look-at-data-show/

Now, let's remember Pfizer did not actually publish the spread between treatment and placebo, no age split, and no data on severe infections, only the "at least 90%" conservative efficiency baseline. Given the similarities between Pfizer and Moderna, I almost expect them to hit the same performance within half a percent point or so in the end. Maybe, if we are very lucky, all spike protein targeting vaccines, independent of technology, will hit the 90-95% corridor. The statistically very weak early 92+% reading for the Russian vector virus effort seems to point into that direction.

And what really is the brilliant news here is the 11 to zero split of severe disease. This is the real game changer: If you get the vaccine, even if it does not protect you from covid, it keeps you out of the hospital ("severe", in this case, being defined as "requires hospitalization").

EDIT:
And the tl;dr "What does this mean for the pandemic?" from Derek Lowe:
Derek Lowe said:
I really think that the vaccine results we’re seeing mean that the end of all this is finally in sight. We have to make it through to getting our population vaccinated. Hang on.

EDIT 2:
Stat got the numbers wrong. The press release clearly states 95 infections in total, 90/5 split between treatment and placebo, not 100 total, 95/5 split as quoted above. Does not make a huge difference (.5%), but still need should be noted.

EDIT 3:
Reporting by Nature puts the worst-case lowest possible efficiency by trial's end at 86% - since epidemiologists put the cutoff for a vaccine efficient enough to end the pandemic and put an end to social distancing at 75 to 80 percent, even that would be more than enough.

Last edited:
This shit needs to go away. Now we're getting told to ground service calls unless they're absolutely necessary. Due to the heightened infection rate, crossing states has become more difficult which potential fines if found out. This means we're now allowed to travel within Illinois only. Grrrreat.

Because of the hurricane last week...and the one coming tomorrow, the state has suspended all covid reporting.

We're now rudderless.

(Soothing female phone voice) "Due to the back-to-back hurricanes, the pandemic has been cancelled. Sorry for the inconvenience, we hope to resume your normally scheduled apocalypse as soon as possible. Thank you."

Partner had some symptoms and I didn't feel ? so we went for a test just to be sure. No results yet...

Thought some might like to see the process. Pre-register online and headed to the test site. Photo left is entrance which has some S turns (moderate fun)

IMG_20201114_143937800_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201114_144932158.jpg

So it's a parking lot of cars looks like 3 lanes but to the right is a 4th and 5th lane that then zipper to a guy directing. The guy directing places you back into 4 or 5 lanes. I'm guessing lane 1 was people who had not registered.

IMG_20201114_145349676_HDR.jpg

A runner ask for your registration number and dob. They print a label that is then cross checked by the test administrator.

IMG_20201114_150214917.jpg

Test administrator inserts thin swab in the nose twisting till you we weep. They email results. Hoping everything is fine and just some psychosomatic effect.

My nephew had two sick on his hockey team and now my sister and brother-in-law are ill.

But hey open up the schools

Partner had some symptoms and I didn't feel ? so we went for a test just to be sure. No results yet...

Thought some might like to see the process. Pre-register online and headed to the test site. Photo left is entrance which has some S turns (moderate fun)

My nephew had two sick on his hockey team and now my sister and brother-in-law are ill.

But hey open up the schools

My brother called me because both him and dad are out with it, he of course needed to go to his work to fix a problem since dad and him don't trust the guy on duty at the moment. They have this "only I know best" theory on things and want me to go down and change a part of this guy, it can be done over the phone...

Whatever, the actual meat of the story is he was complaining about feeling fine but not being allowed to go back to work until he has a test, which he's waiting to have sent to him. There's apparently self test kits... He goes "I don't know what the big deal is, makes no sense to me." Not looking for a debate I just said "yeah exactly" and changed the subject.

German media is quick to adapt. Until three weeks ago, many articles on the covid situation, especially those with positive news, ended with "But it is unclear whether vaccination against covid is possible" or "But it is not known when a vaccine will be available and how effective it will be".
Now it's "But a vaccine will only be available in spring!"

So, moving goalposts for doom and gloom. That's good.

Last edited:
View attachment 3559124

Yes, that's my county down there in the SW corner with the 2nd highest per 1000 infection rate...
Wait? That's cases per 1000? FUCK! Going metric over here is cases per 100K, so I was thinking "it does not look too bad". But no.

Blocked from a tv presenter's FB for daring to point out that if his biggest inconvenience in this whole thing is: "If I can't shake a man's hand, then I'm not doing business with him!" and complaining about how stupid the elbow-bump thing is (which admittedly, it IS), then he's really doing very, very well, in the scheme of things.