Covid 19 CRISIS

I'm genuinely curious how they will manage the vaccination of risk groups, as in, who gets their appointment when? How to get the information about who even is in a risk group?
I am, that's why I wonder...

I'm genuinely curious how they will manage the vaccination of risk groups, as in, who gets their appointment when? How to get the information about who even is in a risk group?
I am, that's why I wonder...
I think at least in Berlin they have defined "high risk group" as people over 75 years of age ands/or living in care homes. This alone is half a million people and thus enough to use up the expected first allocation of BioNTech vaccine. After that, it's healthcare workers, care workers, teachers, essential workers, and I guess somewhere in that group also people with underlying conditions like you.

Wait, healthcare is not first? That's odd, I'd have expected them to have the biggest societal benefit to being vaccinated :dunno:

Wait, healthcare is not first? That's odd, I'd have expected them to have the biggest societal benefit to being vaccinated :dunno:
Out with your logic!

https://www.tagesspiegel.de/berlin/...er-corona-impfzentren-in-berlin/26633160.html

Scroll down all the way here.

I think it depends where you are in the pandemic - if "keeping people out of hospital" is enough to keep hospitals working, then this of course provides the most benefit, but if vaccination of hospital workers is necessary to keep hospitals open, this changes.

Also, it depends on the effect of the vaccine. If it prevents the illness, but not the infection, it makes more sense to vaccinate the people most likely to fall seriously sick. If it prevents the infection as such, it makes more sense to also vaccinate people who are potential spreaders, meaning people who meet many different other people professionally.

My parents are in their 70's, so I hope they get it early.

I am also hoping to get in on the "essential worker" bandwagon, since they have us travel for work under that moniker.

My parents are in their 70's, so I hope they get it early.

I am also hoping to get in on the "essential worker" bandwagon, since they have us travel for work under that moniker.
Yeah, me too. I've been asked to travel for training on top of the usual service calls. It's less than it was, but still.

Being in healthcare, I will probably be in line right after the frontline medical staff; but they also plan to have me work from the employee clinic for part of the week once things open again, so I might get moved up. Either way, I will hopefully be part of the first wave of inoculations.

I think I finally got through to one of my cousins. Once I mentioned that everyone in an old-folks-home who died from it didn't get it from being irresponsible and going to a bar, or a BBQ party, or dining indoors...but that it was from someone else who may have done those things, and then brought it TO them....something at least *seemed* to finally "click".

I'm not sure how that didn't occur to her until now. *sigh*

Also, it depends on the effect of the vaccine. If it prevents the illness, but not the infection, it makes more sense to vaccinate the people most likely to fall seriously sick. If it prevents the infection as such, it makes more sense to also vaccinate people who are potential spreaders, meaning people who meet many different other people professionally.
This is an armchair theory by newspaper experts since it's pretty much accepted that any vaccine that prevents disease at least reduces transmission significantly (people not only shed virus for a shorter time period, but also shed less because they don't cough or sneeze). What we don't have are negative PCR swabs from dozens of vaccinated people taken at regular intervals to prove this with scientific rigor.

I found it interesting that the latest study on how long immunity to covid lasts is the biggest of it's kind in the history of medicine. My theory as a sociologist is that due to the amount of data we could theoretically have, and the toxicity of the 24 hour-news cylce, we overanalyze covid more than any other disease before, with at least as many bad as good consequences. Instead of just assuming "it's a virus, there will be immunity" unless the opposite is proven, for months we chased the "no immunity" or "no long term immunity" bogeymans. Same with vaccines. Instead of celebrating the Apollo Moment of vaccine development, for the first time in the history of mankind being able to stop a pandemic in it's tracks, we focus on what we don't know and which risks that might bring. This is not healthy, not mentally, as @Blind_Io will confirm, but also not for the pandemic response.
And even with all the data we have now, on highly reliable vaccines (based on super amazing new technology), on lasting immunity, public health and newspaper messaging focuses on the gaps in knowledge, demand more certainty.

When the "Spanish Flu" came in 1918, it was fifteen years before the influenza virus was established as the cause of the illness. With the "Russian Flu" of 1889, medical historians are still fighting whether it was a flu virus or a coranvirus that caused it. With the English Sweat of the middle ages we don't know what caused it until today (EDIT - according the Wikipedia, the newest speculation here is "hantavirus").

We got this. We know more than ever, and due to this knowledge we got a vaccine faster then ever. Now let's roll up our sleeves and get vaccinated.

Also, on an unrelated note, @narf : With over 75% of people in ICUs being from high-risk groups, I understand the logic behind the German approach of vaccinating them first - you take pressure off the healthcare system and thus indirectly protect care workers, while at the same time preventing the overwhelming majority of covid-related deaths.

Last edited:
Yep, I concur.

Oxford/AstraZeneca Covid vaccine 'dose error' explained​

In the larger group of nearly 9,000 volunteers, who were given two full doses also four weeks apart, efficacy was 62%.
AstraZeneca reported these percentages and also said that its vaccine was, on average, 70% effective at preventing Covid-19 illness. The figures left some experts scratching their head.
AstraZeneca stressed that the data are preliminary, rather than full and final - which is true for the reported Pfizer and Moderna jab results too. It is science by press release.
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55086927

We got final data from Pfizer, which is why they filed for approval, even if only in a press release, the BBC got that wrong.

Apart from that, AZ/Oxford fucked up royally. I don't think anything but a new phase 3 study can salvage their effort. I am very happy that BioNTech and even Moderna (who, as the press never fails to mention, "never brought a product to the market") delivered. Otherwise we would be in a very bad place now.

Last edited:
China's system took on average 23 days to diagnose confirmed patients, and testing failures meant most received negative results until January 10
A large and previously undisclosed outbreak of influenza happened in early December in Hubei province.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/30/asia/wuhan-china-covid-intl/index.html

From 95 to 73 in a week, I can only hope things keep going in that direction.

yay 2.png

Thanks!

Last week, it was 37 here and 94 back home where my parents live in Wisconsin. This week, it's 42/75. Cases are going up here, so that makes sense. This week, my county just jumped into the most severe color on their color-coding system, purple. It was one of the last two bay area counties to hold off on dipping into purple while the other counties were already there a week or two ago, so I guess it was only a matter of time...