Covid 19 CRISIS

We all know the huge ramp up in deliveries still is a few weeks away, but correct my if I am wrong, apart from the well publicised clash with AstraZeneca, all suppliers still say they will deliver on their quarterly commitments...
:nod: so far the deliveries are matching the published detailed schedule... which tells us the coming five weeks will see a total of 8.5M doses to be delivered, or an average of 1.7M per week... slightly higher than the current 1.5M per week I'm seeing, but no radically large ramp-up. *That* is scheduled for Q2, allegedly for an average of 4.8M from the current three companies per week on average... maybe a quarter more double-dose-equivalent if J&J hits the ground running as hoped for. We'll know by the end of March, or as soon as the detailed schedules for April are out.

Yep, if we assume 70% vaccine uptake, J&J's scheduled 10 Mio Q2 doses alone cover 20% of the German adult populace. Certainly more important overall than CureVac being approved.

On Thursday an erroneous text alert was sent out to people saying if they showed up to the local mass vaccination site, they would get a shot whether they had an appointment or not. This lead to a MASSIVE traffic jam with hundreds of cars snaking through neighborhoods and blocking people from even getting out of their driveways.

Residents weren't happy, the cops weren't happy, the workers weren't happy, and the people stuck in line (valid appointments or not) weren't happy.

My appointment was for 12:05 and I got to the area around 11:45 or so not sure what to expect. I can best describe it as something akin to waiting in line at Disneyland. You wait in line and think you're at the end of the que only to see there's another que to go through after that, and then another after that. All told it took me around 3 hours sitting in my car snaking my way through a long ass line.

To help keep things moving they cut the post shot observation time from 30 to 15 minutes but it's still a huge bottleneck. Apparently the whole system was running smoothly until this week when they opened the floodgates and now they're doing the best they can with the huge increase in volume.

Bahrain to offer COVID-19 vaccination for F1 testing and race attendees​

unique opportunity to provide additional protection for those who wish to take up the opportunity in the form of vaccination (Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine).

"Vaccine diplomacy", here we come!

[A]verage of 4.8M from the current three companies per week on average... maybe a quarter more double-dose-equivalent if J&J hits the ground running as hoped for.
Does this figure already include the 75 Mio extra doses BioNTech promised for the EU, or will that be a surprise addition to the April schedule if the materialize? Should be around an average million extra doses a week...

Working from approx. 50 Mio adults who actually want the vaccine, that'd be 1% extra a week.

Does this figure already include the 75 Mio extra doses BioNTech promised for the EU, or will that be a surprise addition to the April schedule if the materialize? Should be around an average million extra doses a week...

Working from approx. 50 Mio adults who actually want the vaccine, that'd be 1% extra a week.
The 1.7M for March are based on the schedules here: https://www.bundesgesundheitsministerium.de/coronavirus/faq-covid-19-impfung.html#c20329
The Q2 figures are based on https://www.zdf.de/nachrichten/politik/corona-impfstoff-lieferung-prognose-100.html which lines up with the 64M+30M figure mentioned on the BGM site above.
Both are German figures, not EU figures.

People with means in Honduras are electing to fly to the US and get vaccinated there.

People with means in Honduras are electing to fly to the US and get vaccinated there.
Probably harder since Biden took over, since States are supposed to be first getting vaccines just for their citizens

Took Mama Bass for her first shot this morning, it was way way faster than it was for me, probably took less than an hour all told. For reasons unknown despite all of the "YOU MUST BRING THIS QR CODE WITH YOU!" warnings, not one person along the way asked to see it. She got the Moderna vaccine and her second shot was scheduled before she even went to the observation area, I take her back there in 4 weeks. No side effects, not even a sore arm.

Some non-covid news: A vaccine candidate against Malaria goes into the clinic later this year. While as far as I can tell, all r&d on this was done pre-pandemic, it uses mRNA tech as well, any maybe, just maybe, renewed excitement about both the mRNA technology and vaccines may drive investment towards ticking some more diseases off the "death sentence" list.
mRNA has a lot of potential against autoimmune diseases, cancer*, maybe even against HIV...

*BioNTech's resarch focus is cancer. The owners in January 2020 made the now famous decision to divert resources to covid when reading about the Wuhan lockdowns.

We are back into full lockdown. Not the entire country, just some of the Regions. The english variant is running wild.

Vaccinations in the country are at 5% for the first dose and 2,5% for the second. My Region is at 9% for the first dose and 3% for the second.

:coplight:⚠️?
Texas Republican Governor Greg Abbott on Tuesday announced he is lifting all coronavirus restrictions

:coplight:⚠️?

Reason number 275 to avoid Texas.