Covid 19 CRISIS

FFS, someone make a list of all medical procedures and drugs developed from fetal stem cells and send it over to them. I'm sure none of their priests would ever use those advances to prolong their lives.

Fucking hypocrites.

Meanwhile, in Bureaucratistan (i.e. Germany), we get to be giddy with anticipation until late summer or even winter! Yay! :wall:
We too are ahead of schedule.
I think you both are partly right. I still am confident of vaccination for all who want one by June/July (which is different from "for every German" as this promise has to include anti-vaxxers as well).
But I also am shocked how a very German Neiddebatte (vaccine envy debate) and overcomplicated rules are slowing the process down in Germany, how vaccinating "the right people", i.e. over-78s before over 77s, takes precedence before vaccinating quickly.

EDIT: Click-hungry mass media offering a "vaccination timeline calculator" that in bold letters says "if the vaccination continues at current speed, it will only be your turn in 2023" does not help and leads to statements like the "winter" one above.

EDIT2: Also, take note that Biden says it will take "much longer" than May to actually get these doses into people's arms.

Last edited:
overcomplicated rules are slowing the process down in Germany, how vaccinating "the right people", i.e. over-78s before over 77s, takes precedence before vaccinating quickly.
That’s exactly what I meant. We have hundreds of thousands of doses of the AZ vaccine (that is now proving its efficacy en masse) just sitting in warehouses which proves that the approach to distribution and delivery is not working. It’s a classic “too many cooks spoiling the broth” situation because too many levels of bureaucracy are involved. And on top of that, the list of priorities is too rigid, lots of people are denying the AZ vaccine because the issues with it have been blown out of proportion and the communication involved in the vaccination process has literally just left the age of the fax machine.

But instead of correcting these errors by adjusting the prioritisation and taking the process out of the hands of federal, state, county and local authorities, the powers that be prefer to have detailed discussions about opening dates and “emergency brakes” (i.e. another trigger for more shutdowns). I realise that we’re a federal republic and not a unitary state, but I cannot accept that this results in slowing down the vaccination rate this much.

On the other hand, the federal system also provides a way out - Berlin is vaccinating doctors and even therapists right now (my shrink just told me she got her first AZ dose yesterday). We will get there, and the distribution problem is blown out of proportion by the press in exactly the same way as the "lacking" AZ vaccine.

Last edited:
I think it tells a lot about the German mindset that at the same time you blame the media for writing down AZ, but believe everything they write about how the vaccination campaign fails. All EU countries are within a small corridor in their vaccination speed (Denmark being a positive outlier).

Yes, of course Germany are Übermenschen so as long as there is a single EU country faster than us we are failing badly, but in reality: Don't believe the hype. We may be a week behind where we could be, but not months, or even years...

That’s exactly what I meant. We have hundreds of thousands of doses of the AZ vaccine (that is now proving its efficacy en masse) just sitting in warehouses which proves that the approach to distribution and delivery is not working.
On any given day over the past week or so we had *more* Biontech doses in stock than AZ doses.

In terms of vaccination pace, AZ *significantly* outperforms Moderna, despite the later start. See daily doses administered by manufacturer:
1614792652120.png

In the past weeks, AZ has contributed the most by far to the acceleration of our vaccination pace.

Could we have dosed a few more people a week sooner with AZ if it weren't for the clickbait hype? Sure.
Would that have solved the lack of supply? Nope.

PS: Meanwhile, Germany has just crossed a weekly average dose rate of 2Hz ?

Last edited:
PS: Meanwhile, Germany has just crossed a weekly average dose rate of 2Hz ?
Doppelher(t)z! :D

Regarding the "AZ rejection", locally it's especially the people from the mobile nursing services that do that. Their rejection rate is significantly higher than that from medical personnel. So the nursing service people are so wrapped up in their work that they can't make their vaccination appointments on short notice, or they are covidiots. Neither would surprise me.

You don't suppose that them being wealthy has anything to do with it?

I sadly am certain the US vaccination campaign will run out of steam after educated, white, urban areas are vaccinated. Look at Missouri - @Punisher Bass already got his shot. For @CraigB as far as I know there's not even a timeline...

Yep, the US are fucked.
[Vaccination events] were planned on short notice, with few resources to help spread the word, and no way to reserve appointments for those who live here.

Vaccine events intended for underserved communities became destinations for those accustomed to getting their way, people who know whom to call and how to advocate for themselves. Nearby elders could drive up for their shot, but so could anyone else. They simply had to head west on Route 98.

[...]

[...]Black and Hispanic populations disproportionately affected by Covid-19 have been left behind in the vaccine rollout. In Palm Beach County, while Black people make up 18% of residents and Hispanic people 21.7%, these communities had received just 4.1% and 4.7% of vaccines respectively, as of March 1.

[...]

[Minority] communities [...] were forgotten entirely in vaccine distribution. Gov. Ron DeSantis handed responsibility for vaccine appointments in the county to Publix supermarkets in January, though the nearest store is more than 25 miles from [predominantely minority communities] Pahokee and Belle Glade. He denied the decision was tied to the chain’s recent $100,000 donation to the DeSantis campaign.

I'll take slow German buerocracy over that any day.

Last edited:
I sadly am certain the US vaccination campaign will run out of steam after educated, white, urban areas are vaccinated. Look at Missouri - @Punisher Bass already got his shot. For @CraigB as far as I know there's not even a timeline...

I could probably get a vaccination right now if I claimed that I was obese. Which I probably fit that category*, but I'm going to wait until the final phase.

Currently they are on Phase 1B, Tier 2, but will move to Phase 1B, Tier 3 on the 15th. That's the final tier of that phase. Phase 2 says it's waiting on additional supplies and the final phase, Phase 3 isn't even really mentioned yet.

My only hope it's that by the end of May the US is supposed to have enough for everyone. I'd really like to get my shot sometime in June, but only time will tell.

* Turns out it's BMI 40, I'm not anywhere near that.

My only hope it's that by the end of May the US is supposed to have enough for everyone. I'd really like to get my shot sometime in June, but only time will tell.
So, we basically are on the same timeline - Germany will have enough supply by end of June as well, so I also hope to get my shot in June/July.
Over here, half the poulace (so more than half of the over-18s eligible) is in one of the priority groups, so it'll be May before the first non-priority person even comes close to getting vaccinated.

It's because IL has their shit together for the most part while Parson is basically trying to punish STL for not voting for him in November. He's sending the bulk of vaccines that do come in to the low population rural areas and not where the majority of people actually live. This has left people in the city having to drive hours out of town just for the hope of getting a shot.

I did not enjoy having to sit in my idling car for 3 hours, but these people are doing the best they can given the circumstances, they're trying to cram 30lbs of shit into a 5lb bag, the fact that it went as smoothly as it did is frankly amazing.

:-|:tumbleweed::idiot:

I'll take them off their hands, I'll even pay for USPS ground shipping ?
I'll take some as well, let's split shopping cost...