Covid 19 CRISIS

I'll get there first.

I'll chip in for a couple of them.

Oh BTW, on the actual third world, no word of any doses apart from Israel's donation yet, millions still being spent though.

I'm sure the fact that his family is from Ireland and he went to Catholic school has nothing to do with this totally rational decision...

So far, things are moving ok in Illinois-land.
Capture.PNG

4.5 percentage points ahead, or 160% ahead... we're at 2.8% fully vaccinated, they're at 7.3%.
Point taken.

I'm sure the fact that his family is from Ireland and he went to Catholic school has nothing to do with this totally rational decision...

Ah yes, Catholics imposing their beliefs on everyone. Nothing to see here, move along.

*walks in*
"..."
*walks out*

:p

It feels like the efforts to increase vaccine production is starting to pay off. Local news says that vaccine availability in Finland is looking better.

It feels like the efforts to increase vaccine production is starting to pay off. Local news says that vaccine availability in Finland is looking better.
If manufacturers keep up their commitment, all EU countries will have enough vaccine for 70-ish percent of their over-18 populace within the first half of 2021. The 70% percent number is important since the "I will not take a vaccine/I will wait for a bit if it's safe before I take the vaccine" crowd is 30-ish percent in most countries.

In related news, the usually well-informed local press claims the city of Berlin will offer AstraZeneca to anyone interested starting from next week.

Speaking of white privilege, I am educated and well-off enough to dedicate a full working day or two towards securing vaccination appointments for me and Jules. While it sucks that manual laborers and other less fortunate don't have this chance, I fully intend to use it.

We're about a month away from being anle to manufacture the AZ vax here, so hopefully it won't disrupt things too much, but still... if we have a contract to buy it from a private company (and one that has been in place for many months), I don't see how the authorities can block it unless they're shareholders in the companies making it.

We're about a month away from being anle to manufacture the AZ vax here, so hopefully it won't disrupt things too much, but still... if we have a contract to buy it from a private company (and one that has been in place for many months), I don't see how the authorities can block it unless they're shareholders in the companies making it.
Basically, it's wartime rules - you deny exports of anything deemed vital to the war effort. It's very much within the rights of the governments, but I think it's mostly a symbolic move: AZ tried to shaft the EU multiple times while keeping up commitments to third parties, so now the EU basically says "honor the contract with us, otherwise we'll make you do so".

In related news, the usually well-informed local press claims the city of Berlin will offer AstraZeneca to anyone interested starting from next week.
Good!

I'm still dumbfounded that the supposedly failed state of Berlin chooses this crisis to rise to the occasion.

Meanwhile, here in the west of the country... *tumbleweed*

Good!

I'm still dumbfounded that the supposedly failed state of Berlin chooses this crisis to rise to the occasion.

Meanwhile, here in the west of the country... *tumbleweed*
Yet, in terms of first doses administered, you only trail Berlin by .2 percent of the population...

Interestingly, the distribution of doses according to percentages of the population seems to fluctuate a bit as well - Berlin is ranked third in terms of percentage of delivered vaccine used, but only 9th in percentage of population dosed.

Interestingly, the distribution of doses according to percentages of the population seems to fluctuate a bit as well - Berlin is ranked third in terms of percentage of delivered vaccine used, but only 9th in percentage of population dosed.
It is? I'm seeing Berlin as a 7th at 73.9% of delivered doses already administered. Here's the current data for state, delivered doses, administered doses, and fraction of the two, sorted descending by the latter:

Bremen83.05567.9680,818
Rheinland-Pfalz514.185404.1460,786
Bayern1.624.3351.269.5070,782
Hamburg234.975174.9010,744
Thüringen270.900201.5870,744
Schleswig-Holstein366.975271.2560,739
Berlin462.900342.1460,739
Mecklenburg-Vorpommern203.175146.5240,721
Saarland128.40092.5260,721
Sachsen510.675359.0020,703
Baden-Württemberg1.377.525947.8120,688
Nordrhein-Westfalen2.227.1251.503.0840,675
Sachsen-Anhalt272.100179.1170,658
Niedersachsen992.250646.3740,651
Hessen790.470513.6680,650
Brandenburg318.000206.4800,649

For once, Bremen wins a thing ?

Also, I don't see a great disparity in terms of delivery per population. Discounting Bremen and Saarland as low-population rounding errors (doses tend to be in large boxes), all states are within 0.3 percentage points from 12.4% to 12.7% doses-per-population delivered.

@narf Tagesspiegel reported Berlin being 3rd behind Bavaria and Rheinland-Pfalz. Don't know which metric they used and didn't check.

@narf Tagesspiegel reported Berlin being 3rd behind Bavaria and Rheinland-Pfalz. Don't know which metric they used and didn't check.
Mine is data from https://impfdashboard.de/ as of fifteen minutes ago. If you're referring to https://www.tagesspiegel.de/berlin/...geimpft-oder-haben-einen-termin/26980302.html it mentions "Laut Zahlen des Bundesgesundheitsministeriums sind in Berlin Anfang der Woche 69 Prozent aller Impfdosen verimpft gewesen. Damit liegt Berlin im bundesweiten Vergleich auf Rang drei, hinter Bayern (70 Prozent) und Rheinland-Pfalz (71 Prozent)." which explains a difference, this week had the biggest growth of vaccinations week-over-week ever, so things are bound to move around.

I know I'm sorta-privileged to be able to take a couple days off and deal with the vax (although I should've taken the whole day off to get jab #1 because woof, the aches/fatigue reactions are a thing for me), but honestly, I'm not going to dwell too hard on that. The faster shots go into arms, the closer we get to herd immunity. I'd even be down to help get others to vaccine sites once mine's finished, just to use that relative place of privilege for good for once.

Texas' rollout is a shitshow in terms of dropping other precautions too early, no one knowing who comes next, and essential employees (grocery store workers, etc.) not being eligible despite the fact that maskholes come into their space, but at least the state seems to be moving along with the existing groups and not wringing too many hands over who shows up to get a shot. It's admittedly sorta on the honor system, which scares me, but screw it. Shame dishonest turds after the fact. Don't hold up the line. Get shots in arms.

Thank fuck, of all places, the local pharmacy in the grocery store in my town has the vaccine, I can sign up online and get it hopefully soon.

YUS.

EDIT

So it's still a "check if your eligible" but the website says it will be free of charge. Fuck yeah, only a little bit longer.

Capture.PNG