Covid 19 CRISIS

We've both heard stories from people, that have had the Moderna vaccine, in about 8-12 hours after the injection, you'll have about 8-12 hours of pretty nasty side effects, but then it's over. Much better than getting the virus, of course...
Yup - mine was 12 hours on the money, and I went from 100-0 in an instant. Talk about an interesting trip! It took 24 hours to fully feel recovered, but really cool tech!

Thanks for the heads-up, people... I've got my first shot of Moderna too a few days ago, no reaction/side effects at all so far, apart from the arm being just a little bit sore.
I will go shopping for a few days worth of groceries before receiving the second shot just in case. :D

And in other news, the local vaccination centre in my town is going to do a performance test in production tomorrow, they say on the news. Up until now they have never worked at full capacity because there never were enough doses, but they expect deliveries to pick up further in a few weeks so they decided to see if they can handle that.
This display of competence is totally in line with the overwhelmingly positive things people say about their customer experience in that centre. :)

Last edited:
Yup - mine was 12 hours on the money, and I went from 100-0 in an instant. Talk about an interesting trip! It took 24 hours to fully feel recovered, but really cool tech!

Sounds like something I have to look forward too

Got my first dose of pfizer today! No side effects yet, after a few hours.
The only thing that buggers me is that they're now booking boosters 35 days after the first shot... Wasn't it 21 days between shots?

The only thing that buggers me is that they're now booking boosters 35 days after the first shot... Wasn't it 21 days between shots?

I think that is Moderna, and Pfizer is the longer one. At least that's what I remember from the US CDC info page. Either way, it's not a problem.

Timeframe is three to six weeks for both Pfizer and Moderna shots. Some countries (UK, Finland) also stretch to 12 weeks.
Idea behind stretching the timeframe is to get more first doses in quicker...

We've broken the record for most COVD-related casualties this week. 83 on monday, 88 yesterday.

I've had chronic diarrhea for 3 weeks now (sorry...TMI...), and I mention it in this thread because my doctor said she's seen a few cases of serious IBS in people who have tested positive for COVID but were otherwise asymptomatic, and so far no other typical explanations. Not enough of a pattern to put as much weight behind it as a real study, but enough that she had me get a Covid test this afternoon.

21 days is the tested individual optimum for Biontech, yeah (28 for Moderna)... but, intermediate figures are more important for finding a population-wide optimum: from 10 days after your first shot the studies already show a reduction of your risk of around 87 percent (CI 69-95%), so you're out of the deepest end of the virus pool by then already. The second dose can lift you up a bit more, well into the 90s a week after... but that's just icing on the cake for you.
Delaying your second dose grants someone else those 87% much sooner, benefiting the population as a whole much more [and, indirectly by lowering the spread of the virus in general, you]. The official maximum of 42 days would probably be ideal for the population, but many places [including my state] seem to do 35 days... maybe someone balanced personal optimum vs population optimum, rolled a few die, flipped some coins, and arrived at 35 :dunno:

Risk reduction progression: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pfizer–BioNTech_COVID-19_vaccine#Clinical_trials

So I guess we just got some bad news for me at least. The government chickened out and are discontinuing the AZ vaccine, it will not be administered. The J&J is also taken out of the program, but can be obtained on a voluntary basis, they have just not decided on how it will be done yet.

More bad news, they just decided to prioritize vaccinations of the 18-25 year olds, as the rate of infections are very high in that age group, it's the age group that (here at least) generally hasn't given a damn. The result of this is that my age bracket (25-39) gets the absolute shortest end of the stick, since we were so good and made sure to follow all the rules to keep infections levels as low as possible. :wall:

But hey, at least I have a steady (if maybe underpaid) government job, and is safely placed in home office. Ugh...

They're vaccinating 40+ in my town now. 30+ (which is me) is not far off, I'm told.

Whenever I get the jab there will be cake in the breakroom at work, for sure.

So I guess we just got some bad news for me at least. The government chickened out and are discontinuing the AZ vaccine, it will not be administered. The J&J is also taken out of the program, but can be obtained on a voluntary basis, they have just not decided on how it will be done yet.

More bad news, they just decided to prioritize vaccinations of the 18-25 year olds, as the rate of infections are very high in that age group, it's the age group that (here at least) generally hasn't given a damn. The result of this is that my age bracket (25-39) gets the absolute shortest end of the stick, since we were so good and made sure to follow all the rules to keep infections levels as low as possible. :wall:

But hey, at least I have a steady (if maybe underpaid) government job, and is safely placed in home office. Ugh...
Yep, I'm in the same boat and I'm ok with it. The youth struggle a lot more than I do. And the delay won't be that big, 3-4 weeks perhaps. I have dodged this virus for over a year now, what the hell is another few weeks

Italy will be starting vaccinating 50+yo tomorrow, and the plan is to allow 40+yo to reserve their shot starting from later on in May. The idea is to vaccinate most of the population by the end of July.

How come? Are they too worried about side effects?
Yes, a couple of months ago we had five cases of severe blood clots with young-"ish" healthcare workers who had been vaccinated with the AZ vaccine. They were all admitted to intensive care, and two of them died from complications stemming from that side effect. When it was later proven that the vaccine was to blame for this, they paused the AZ vaccine. Since the J&J vaccine uses the same principle it was put on hold before it was rolled out.

I know it makes others scratch their heads, but our healthcare administration is being super careful with everything, to the point where they do things like this. I think it's silly. Almost everyone else around us is using it still.