Covid 19 CRISIS

Right now I'm continuing to wear my N95 mask at work and in public indoor spaces. I have felt better popping into some local stores when needed but I try to not make a habit of going in there without a specific goal in mind, always with my N95, and a max time allotment.

I am planning on going to see some friends later in the month who live on Long Island for a outdoor fully vaccinated meetup in a friend's backyard - I was initially planning on driving, even considering renting a car so I'd have AC, but my friend is like "you should take public transportation, it takes forever to drive through NYC to LI"

For me that's a MegaBus and two train/subway rides each way. With Delta rearing its ugly head, I'm not quite sure I want to do that - driving provides a far greater level of control plus you're breathing your own air lol.

So I would rent a car on Turo. I think it would be less stressful even with traffic because you got tunes and I feel driving is kinda enjoyable.

My advice isn't about Covid though. I don't think with you being vaccinated and being cautious with mask coupled with public transportations low rate of transmission you would be at risk on public transportation.

I don't think that Megabus (even with upper seat front) and two subway transfers is less stress than driving. That's me. I do think you should price out both options and if you choose the most cheep (driving your car) take the difference of what it would be of the most expensive (renting a car/amtrak train?) and spurge that money on something during the trip. Buy everyone dinner get a big bottle of booze or a small bottle of xo cognac buy a big thing of weed for everyone, buy yourself a piece of art... Same goes for if you take public transportation it will go to clearing out the stress.

Again I'm a pessimist on Covid I believe we will see a fall season of infection and increasingly bad variants. However; it's not from people like you, vaccinated and taking precautions.

Last edited:
Visited back home in rural-ish Wisconsin. My parents were all, "Oh, nobody wears masks anymore here." Everywhere I went, though, almost all of the staff were wearing masks, and half of the customers were.

Visited back home in rural-ish Wisconsin. My parents were all, "Oh, nobody wears masks anymore here." Everywhere I went, though, almost all of the staff were wearing masks, and half of the customers were.
At this point I haven't been wearing a mask since early to mid-May. I've been fully vaccinated since mid-April, there's no mandate anymore. So far, so good. It's been refreshing not having to however I find it odd how some people will still wear a mask before their nose. Stop playing lip service at that point. The ratio of store to store for staff mask wearing is hit or miss. Most do, while others are half and half within employees.

Frankly, we have enough vaccines and those that want to be vaccinated that I feel we're in a stronger way to keep the deadly infection rate down to "Oh, I have a cold." If I get the sniffles or a cold then yes, I will mask up again, otherwise, no. I'm tired of wearing one and found it a pain in the ass when on jobs in hot factories. Never mind getting bathroom smells stuck in the mask... My mind, if you're vaccinated and still wear a mask, you don't trust the vaccine.

But like assholes, we all have opinions. ;)

This means my statement above is wrong. Your risk of getting infected when exposed to a Delta spreader while fully vaccinated is 1.4% (1.356% to be precise). This is a up by 1% from the 0.4% risk with Alpha, but still low.
Maths point: 0.4% to 1.4% is an increase of 250%, or one *percentage point*.
If air travel became one percentage point more crashy we'd see planes falling from the sky every day... if it's 1% more crashy you wouldn't notice without long-term statistics.

My mind, if you're vaccinated and still wear a mask, you don't trust the vaccine.
Alternative view: If you're vaccinated and masked, you're projecting "covid is still an issue" out into the world.

Delta variant already dominant in U.S., CDC estimates show​

WHO warns of ‘epidemiological stupidity’ of early Covid reopening​

Ryan said the idea of letting people get infected with Covid-19 earlier rather than later was “epidemiological stupidity”.Ryan said the idea of letting people get infected with Covid-19 earlier rather than later was “epidemiological stupidity”.

People, get vaccinated if you can!

People, get vaccinated if you can!
The fact that anyone (in general, not on FG) needs to be told this makes me want to headbutt my desk.

The 21 days since my first jab is up this Saturday, then it's a waiting game to be offered the second. Hopefully sooner rather than later as 'fully vaccinated' is deemed to be 2 weeks after the second Pfizer jab.

The fact that anyone (in general, not on FG) needs to be told this makes me want to headbutt my desk.

The 21 days since my first jab is up this Saturday, then it's a waiting game to be offered the second. Hopefully sooner rather than later as 'fully vaccinated' is deemed to be 2 weeks after the second Pfizer jab.
Yes, the mere fact that anyone have to be told this is just beyond me...

On a side note, Norway has decided on a "two stage" exemption scheme, where you are considered "semi protected" three weeks after the first doze of Pfizer or Moderna, and fully vaccinated one week after the second shot. As "semi protected" you do get some benefits such as reduced quarantine. You can test yourself out of quarantine after three days after returning home from a high transmission risk area for instance. However, most of the eurozone is "green" (for now) since we adopted the EU-thresholds, so no requirement to quarantine (for the time being, may change fast however).

You've read my posts in Covid Diary, right?

Two neat statistics factoids from 'Murica concerning the correlation of vaccination rate with overall spread and of individual vaccination with outcome:

"93% of COVID-19 cases have occurred in counties with vaccination rates of less than 40%"
"Nearly all deaths and hospitalizations nationwide are among unvaccinated people".

Surprised? No.

Two neat statistics factoids from 'Murica concerning the correlation of vaccination rate with overall spread and of individual vaccination with outcome:

"93% of COVID-19 cases have occurred in counties with vaccination rates of less than 40%"
"Nearly all deaths and hospitalizations nationwide are among unvaccinated people".

Surprised? No.

correlation between Trump-voting states and states with low vaccination rates.

Whether Republicans Get Vaccinated Has A Lot To Do With If They Watch Fox News … Or OANN​

Once again, correlation does not equal causation, even though all of the sources you posted desperately want that to be the case. As we continue to move forward, let's keep maintaining a healthy separation from politics and the disease as necessary.

A Honduran update, to deliver us from thinking we're doing either extremely well or as shittily as we fear. Also to distract me from actual work:

Submitted for your consideration, the health ministry has made this lovely chart showing the amount of vaccines we have received so far. It looks like absolute ass and the way they tag which kind of vaccines they received is inconsistent so you know it is government-issued. the data showed below is accurate as of July 7, 2021.

page5.jpg

We are also very close to 1 million people vaccinated. a Breakdown is shown below

page7.jpg

Please disregard the breakdown by color. all of the institutions here are public. for the especially Spanish-impaired the bars represent total doses, and then a breakdown into first and second doses. Different colors represent different institutions. People who have engaged in vaccine tourism or otherwise acquired a vaccine through private means have no reason to report to the government and, therefore, while the amount of vaccinated people is most assuredly higher than the one reported here, any guesses about how many are pulled straight from the guesser's posterior.

Nevertheless at 980,000 vaccines, we're now at just over 10% of the population with at least one done of a vaccine. The percentage of fully vaccinated remains a rather problematic 0.71% or thereabouts Not reassuring but it at least means good progress. I am happy to report that my parents are thankfully represented on this chart, as they received their first dose of AZ two weeks ago. Apart from taking a small nap in the afternoon directly after the vaccine. there have been absolutely no side effects for either. They shall get their second doses in September. My mother was skeptical. fortunately, because both of my parents had to take their vaccines at the same time she got it anyway. I believe at this point she does not feel for or against vaccination, but she will say that she did it "so your dad would get his" when pressed. Their experience was positive, staff was allegedly friendly and one of them offered to say a little prayer as they were applying the vaccine, which they found very nice.

However, the media is already fearmongering about not having the same vaccines for the second dose and what will happen if you mix and match. Anyone on the planet over the age of 8 who has seen the handling of this pandemic and still blindly believes their media outlets and does not even apply a correcting factor or look for the myriad of corrections of the inflammatory article a couple of days afterwards must seriously reconsider their positioning. I would also be remiss if I did not make a point of noticing that data is mercifully easier to get now and that it still more-or-less matches third party data. Enough that I would go with the state numbers +/- the 5% margin of error that my statistics courses hammered into my head.

I should point out on the other side of the equation, we remain problematic on the prevention of contagion. Jun.27 to Jul.3 actually holds the record for the detected cases, at 8,230 cases. May's 1,072 deaths still hold the record, as June seems to have thankfully only killed 682 Hondurans.

Last edited:
Mix and match vaccines may be a good thing:

Mixing AstraZeneca, Pfizer Vaccines Delivers Stronger Immune Response​

I saw a headline a couple of days ago, but haven't done any sort of deep dive, that said something like "COVID-19 deaths have hit 4m, killing more people than all wars world-wide in the last 40 years." Now...it took my brain a few minutes to re-calibrate my internal calendar to realize that "the last 40 years) wouldn't include some pretty notable wars as it only means going back to 1981 (in my head 1990 will forever be 10 years ago)...but that still seems low.

I saw a headline a couple of days ago, but haven't done any sort of deep dive, that said something like "COVID-19 deaths have hit 4m, killing more people than all wars world-wide in the last 40 years." Now...it took my brain a few minutes to re-calibrate my internal calendar to realize that "the last 40 years) wouldn't include some pretty notable wars as it only means going back to 1981 (in my head 1990 will forever be 10 years ago)...but that still seems low.
I think the major factor here is how you count the 2nd Congo War - direct war casualties only, or overall casualties due to the war? If the latter, than it alone has killed more than Covid so far. If only the former, then it's quite likely that you'd have to go back to include Vietnam to "beat Covid".