Covid 19 CRISIS

Someone tested that by posting the chemical analysis of apples and such, and asking these idiots if they would consume these chemicals, but they were all scared of the big words, and began sprouting their conspiracy theories.

It reminds me of one time when NPR used their twitter account to, line by line, tweet out the Declaration of Independence on our Independence Day.

A whole bunch of people were complaining, not recognizing it, calling it "propaganda", or thinking it was specifically against Trump.

Sturgis superspreader event is an interesting case study. Local vaccination rate of a about 75%, but cases increased 600%. Pity they didn't wear masks.

South Dakota Covid cases quintuple after Sturgis motorcycle rally​

Meade County, home to Sturgis, has had a more than 1,500 percent increase in cases in the past 14 days.

Sturgis superspreader event is an interesting case study. Local vaccination rate of a about 75%, but cases increased 600%. Pity they didn't wear masks.
As mentioned before, overall vaccination rate is a moot point since the vaccinated people are not spread equally across society. And we can assume that a motorcycle rally that even last year proudly defied all covid rules is mostly unvaccinated.

According to data from the Kaiser family foundation, breakthrough cases among fully vaccinated make up between 0,2 (New Jersey and Conneticut - both of which have an above US average vaccine coverage) and 5,9 (Arizona) percent of covid cases in the different US states that collect data on breakthrough cases (the Dakotas don't). So no matter how much the vaccination rate is being brought into play, the problem is and stays unvaccinated people.

EDIT: By the way, that tracks the measels data from the Netherlands I mentioned earlier: The risk for a vaccinated individual to contract measels in an area with low vaccine coverage is higher than for an unvaccinated individual in an area with high coverage: Half a million mostly unvaccinated visitors arriving in a mostly-vaccinated town of 6.000 temporarily turned Sturgis into a place with a super low vaccination rate.

EDIT 2: Also, even if the town of Sturgis is an outlier, according to the Daily Beast the vaccination rate of Meade county, in which Sturgis is situated, is only 38 percent, and SD as a whole is at 48% only as well. So I am only half a step away from calling the twitter thread @jack_christie linked anti-vaxxer propaganda, even if it comes from the liberal covid panic camp, not the usual right wing one.

Last edited:
The point Prof Jha was putting is that you need more people vaccinated before you have big free for all events.

Also problem of when those visitors return home infected.

The point Prof Jha was putting is that you need more people vaccinated before you have big free for all events.

Also problem of when those visitors return home infected.
The point is that he is suggesting this for a 75% vaccination rate when in reality vaccinate coverage is below 40 percent in the area the event is held (and probably even lower among attendees). It's not honest.

Last edited:
More people died this month than August last year, before the vaccines' roll-out.

Probably a bit morose, but, isn't this, to some degree, how natural selection works?
Sort of. As far as I’m aware, “survival of the fittest” means “those who fit (or adapt to) the circumstances the best are most likely to survive”, so of course an anti-vaxxer won’t fit the circumstances of a pandemic better than a reasonable person.

But since we live in societies, other people have an unnaturally great influence on each person’s likelihood to survive. If you’re willing to get vaccinated, but aren’t eligible (yet), you may be a good fit, but other factors negate that.

I hate this freaking place, cont'd.

Hospitals are overloaded to the point where they're cancelling cancer and heart surgeries: https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavir...erral&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=t.co

I had to step away from a numbnuts who tried claiming "everything's fine" on the post we had about how we're not that sure an F1 race should happen (much less two) because things are really, really awful in Austin right now. When this is what qualifies as "elective," lawd. Here's hoping that guy or anyone else doesn't have any heart issues, I guess. Ugh.

I've had it up to here with all the willful ignorance and absolute lack of care for each other because people think masks are annoying or are tired of being stuck at home and can't look at the bigger friggin' picture. This isn't the Texas I grew up with where people look after each other or give a damn anymore. My friends, sure, we're pretty good, but it feels like there are too many other folks around anymore who are just selfish pricks. It's as if the whole prevailing culture has changed over the past few years into something that's toxic and ignorant.

What's the response from at the state level about all of this, you might ask? Oh yeah, "bUt ThE fReEduMbS!"

Never mind that anyone who's been a kid here or who's had a kid here would remember a long list of required shots just to go to school. Oh, no, we can't put this pandemic that's currently screwing up everything in the context of other awful diseases with known, proven vaccines! Heaven forbid anyone apply common sense or care to this situation!

I really do need to get serious about moving somewhere else. Somewhere run by damn grown-ups. The constant stream of "what ultra-messed-up thing happened here today?" really is affecting my whole mood and general productivity. I got more done during peak "you're making me pay what? and you towed it for what?!" rental car hell in Stuttgart than I have in ages.

Mom's best friend who comes over all the time to help her out is now isolating because her kid caught COVID now, too, which is a yikes.

Last edited:
The point is that he is suggesting this for a 75% vaccination rate when in reality vaccinate coverage is below 40 percent in the area the event is held (and probably even lower among attendees). It's not honest.
Yeah—Sturgis is interesting because 75% of the populace had "some" sort of immunity, not all from vaccination, but a 75% figure that includes a large number of people who had got it and recovered. (That also says something about how South Dakota's doing at getting COVID under control, but "Kristi Noem turbo-sucks at this" is another subject.)

It's pretty obvious from how Sturgis turned into a superspreader that merely recovering from COVID simply isn't enough—you need the vaccine, and you should also probably not be a dumbass hanging out with a bunch of "vaccines are tyranny"-leaning chuds in a series of tightly-packed, often indoor gatherings held while this country is a hotspot for a new, more contagious variant of COVID. A lot of places still accept a recent recovery alongside a vaccine record as enough to do things, and it's becoming more obvious that that shouldn't be the case.

Probably a bit morose, but, isn't this, to some degree, how natural selection works?
The problem is every anti-vaxxer in a hospital bed is displacing someone else who needs it. People are still having other medical issues and accidents that require immediate and intensive care. Beyond that, medical professionals are being worked 12 hour days for weeks at a time, often until they literally collapse. This is not the same as normal medical work, they are wearing oppressive PPE the entire time with dry air blowing in their face the entire time. Even dermatologists are involved caring for healthcare workers developing skin conditions from the PPE seals constantly pressing into their skin.

If it was just these morons killing themselves at home, I wouldn't care. They are killing others by consuming all the medical resources and causing providers to quit by the the busload because they physically and mentally can't handle it any more. They've been doing this for 18 months.

Yeah—Sturgis is interesting because 75% of the populace had "some" sort of immunity, not all from vaccination, but a 75% figure that includes a large number of people who had got it and recovered.
It's pretty obvious from how Sturgis turned into a superspreader that merely recovering from COVID simply isn't enough
So much to unpack here... it's amazing.
  1. This once again shows the dangers of science via tweet. The professor @jack_christie linked oversimplified the situation in order to fit his own, liberal covid angst touting, narrative.
    EDIT: In fact Prof. Jha is not biased if you read his whole timeline. His point is "mass events during a pandemic require a combination of vaccination and testing." We only got linked a very biased selection of tweets.
  2. Recovering from covid will mostly protect you from re-infection for at least six months, and probably will provide protection against severe cases for a lifetime. That's what the science says (search my earlier posts for link to the Nature article in question). Problem is we do not differentiate between the different types/levels of immunity. This oversimplified immunity narrative leads to bad choices, like for example providing booster shots to covid panicked Americans while huge chunks of the world are lacking the necessary vaccine access to get covid under control. Or people being scared of "breakthrough infections" and "failing vaccines" when in reality the data we have shows the vaccines working, not failing*.
    Anna Durban from John Hopkins said:
    Giving a booster to vaccinated people is not going to control Delta. What’s going to control Delta is vaccinating unvaccinated people. That is the bottom line.
  3. A number like "75% immunity" in most cases does not mean "75% have had a shot or a PCR-confirmed infection", but "we tested blood from donors for covid antibodies and used a statistical model to project immunity in the population". This model comes with a confidence interval that once again gets lost in twitter and makes the story even less straightforward.
Regarding the wider picture of covid in the US, we can see how even ten to fifteen extra percent of vaccination helped Britain to keep covid more or less under control - while they have experienced two surges since "freedom day" the horror scenarios touted before (hundreds of thousands if not millions of daily infections, overwhelmed hospitals, etc) so far do not show up. That this is more down to pure luck than to competency of the Johnson administration is another matter - but it shows how the toxic behaviour the liberal (which is still my) side shows in touting one unrealistic doomsday scenario after the other is not a lot more helpful in overcoming the pandemic than the complete denial of the looney right.

*Anecdotic evidence: Bruce Dickinson, a 63-year old commercial airline pilot and cancer survivor (who also happens to be lead singer for Iron Maiden) had a breakthrough case of covid after a full course of AstraZeneca. He was feeling a little under the weather for three days and could continue performing right after his quarantine ended.
Meanwhile Lucky Costa, car mechanic and star of MotorTrend's Hot Rod Garage, caught covid unvaccinated and without any underlying health issues. He spent a month in hospital and is still dragging an oxygen tank around with him now.

Last edited:
Fantastic news. My elderly people are now fully vaccinated. They speak of another positive experience, though this one more chaotic and, shall we say, stereotypical honduran with regards to queuing.

An interesting piece of data came from my mother, who apparently is the only person in my family, myself included, with the stones to stare at their shot. Apparently she noted her needle was very lightly filled. Not knowing the size of the needle and how much they're supposed to inject you when having a second AZ shot, I can't speak for whether it was the correct dosage, but it brings to light some fuckery I could not have considered on part of the state/the attendings.

I'm getting mine on saturday let's gooooooo!

So much to unpack here... it's amazing.

1. This once again shows the dangers of science via tweet. The professor @jack_christie linked oversimplified the situation in order to fit his own, liberal covid angst touting, narrative.
    EDIT: In fact Prof. Jha is not biased if you read his whole timeline. His point is "mass events during a pandemic require a combination of vaccination and testing." We only got linked a very biased selection of tweets.

No I just linked to Prof Jha's thread and the article referenced.

And no, Prof Jha wasn't dishonest.

WTF - "very biased selection of tweets."

No I just linked to Prof Jha's thread and the article referenced.

And no, Prof Jha wasn't dishonest.

WTF - "very biased selection of tweets."
Sorry,but Jha's summary is "we can hold events if we vaccinate and test". That's not the gist of your post, but let's not discuss semantics here.