Covid 19 CRISIS

So... my mom and I may have been exposed, don't know for sure just yet. I saw my sister yesterday who had seen a friend of hers last weekend (not this past weekend but the one before) who just tested positive today. Everyone in this equation has been fully vaccinated, so she's going to get a test in a few days and if she's positive then we'll get tested as well. Until then I'm just going to try and self isolate as much as I can and hope for the best.

Really really shit timing because I have critical things going on right now where I can't stay in a bubble. I'm not worried, just pissed off and wondering how hard it would be to make an Outbreak suit from garbage bags and duck tape.

Also a long time family friend just tested positive as well. She's also fully vaccinated but she caught it from her boyfriend (who is not) who got it from one of his grandkids. Everything is fucked up right now.
The future is - we all will be exposed to the virus, a lot. Just like with the other viruses going around. Sometimes we will get infected, most times we won't (prior infection protects against Delta on par with or better than AZ vaccination). And as more people get antibodies (through vaccination or infection) and load on hospitals drop, testing will be stopped, so we won't even know we got exposed or infected. First countries, namely Denmark, have gotten there. Vaccines for school children will arrive soon, that'll help further.

And yes - just as the current cold and flu viruses are enough to kill old, frail, or otherwise immune impaired persons, this one will kill some people as well, vaccinated or not. But the risks are low, negligible even. And since our immune system learns, they get lower with each exposure.

Says Mika Salminen, Director for Health Security at the Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare (THL):
We have to get used to the fact that there will be some infections despite vaccinations. The situation will become relatively normal, especially if we give up on our fears.

Last edited:
A HONDURAN UPDATE! Because if I have to keep reading this thread I want some actual data in between bouts of sheer idiocy (H/T to @Misrabelle for her own updates and the good @Dr_Grip for his doses of perspective.)

We're back to official government charts. In all their butt-ugly glory. They rather look like someone who doesn't give a shit made them. Though to be fair, they are government employees.

First off, a rather interesting chart showing a breakdown by group of the population to be vaccinated (numbers total, not remaining to be vaccinated)

1631076278960.png

For the Spanish Impaired

• Health workers (public or private sector)
  • The over-60s
  • Chronically-ill 18-to-59's
  • Essential workers
  • "Other prioritized groups" (Read: The rest of us. Can you tell me what are we prioritized by? Answers on a postcard :p)
And now a breakdown of country-wide vaccination:

1631076724605.png

I punch these numbers in a calculator, it spits out a smiley face. As with last time, please disregard the breakdown by color. All of the institutions here are public. The first bar represents total doses, and then a breakdown into first and second doses. Different colors represent different institutions. People who have engaged in vaccine tourism or otherwise acquired a vaccine through private means have no reason to report to the government and, therefore, while the amount of vaccinated people is most assuredly higher than the one reported here, any guesses about how many are pulled straight from the guesser's posterior. Statistics shown here as valid as of August 29, 2021.

So, get a load of this, The vaccination campaign began in February, yes? as of July, the state had administered 980,363 doses total. In just two months we are at 4.08M doses. For someone who expects sheer incompetence from their government, it almost makes me wonder if they are padding them? Who knows, the independent bodies doing vaccine count have volunteered (or being persuaded by the government) to offer their physical space for state-sponsored vaccinations. So there's no discrepancy anymore apparently. These are the numbers, and they are quite good. 38.9% of the population have at least one dose, with 18.4% being fully vaccinated. Doesn't sound like a lot until you remember that we were at 10% and 0.71% for those numbers a couple of months ago. It's especially interesting on my town (labeled MDC in the chart below) :

1631079211406.png

1.29M total population, 62% of which have at least one dose, with 34% (that would be me and mine) being fully vaccinated. At least on my city, we've got it, there is now a light at the end of this tunnel, especially since vaccination centers will remain open.

My experience with getting a second dose was quite similar to the first one. A very orderly queue, which was much faster this time than last time. It took all of 90 minutes from me parking at the end of it to me getting a lovely breakfast sandwich to go with the ice-cold sugar-free coca cola that I was given as a present for a full vaccination. This time I did get to see people trying to cut the line, I also got to see them getting ticketed for their trouble. :p

There isn't a lot more to say on this one, really. I do have more personal notes but those belong on the Corona Diary thread. I am very very happy that everyone in my circle is immunized, and that most of the people I know are as well. From the guy that pumps my gas to my bank tellers. The state is not even considering removing the mask mandate and the people seem to be slightly (SLIGHTLY) more aware of personal space. Though this is far from over as far as the health system is concerned. No new public medical facilities were opened or renovated during the pandemic. Deaths continue at about 800 per month for a total of 9087 as of last count (source)

There is a light at the end of this tunnel, we're just not sure if that's a train horn we're hearing as well.

Attachments

• 1631079105030.png
    1631079105030.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 26
Thank you, @gaasc !

Also if you need further proof of the vaccine's power, the German Querdenken covid denial movement now claims "they changed the virus to only kill the unvaccinated!"

Feels like australia caught up rather quickly once you got vaccinations going?
It only really ramped up once Delta arrived via the un-masked, un-vaccinated limo driver. (We literally had the index case, DID NOTHING, and now we're at ~1500 cases a day.)

Didn't have enough Pfizer, and anyone on the fence, plus a lot of people in eligible groups at the time, heard the panic merchants warning that AZ was going to kill them - including a QLD minister - only wanted Pfizer and were willing to wait as long as it took, since the closed border, and our geographical isolation gave a false sense of security; My Dad included - at the time I booked mine, he was adamant he'd wait and get Pfizer. Despite a number of our employees the same age getting AZ with no issue, and the clotting thing more likely to occur in women under 50. Myself and almost everyone I know were champing at the bit to get it, but couldn't. I managed to sneak in a little earlier with a letter from Dad's doctor.

When Delta got out in Sydney, it was only groups 40 and over who were able to book appointments, yet it was the under 40s that were the bulk of essential workers, and spreading it the most. Every day the minister would tell us to get vaccinated, to which they'd scream "We literally fucking can't!", until finally they got the message.
When they finally dropped the eligibility to anyone over 18, then it ramped up. Plenty of younger people also got sick of waiting and went for AZ, as the messaging changed from "Pfizer strongly recommended for anyone under 60", to "Take whatever you can get!".
Doses of Pfizer were diverted from corrections centres and regional towns, into Sydney. Fast tracked for high school students to sit final exams, construction workers...we're borrowing from other countries - Poland and Singapore, who will get 500,000 doses each from our December order.

The important thing is that we get there, but the way it's been organised has been craptacular.

Of all the people that are eligible at this point, subject to priorization, or of all people the vaccinces are approved for (i. e. everybody from age 12)?
Of all people currently eligible. It's why there is now squabbling over the 70/80% opening targets. Currently that's not including <15 year olds, and since Delta has a higher infection rate among kids than other strains, that drops the actual vaccination rate to ~60% coverage.

Moderna currently has provisional approval for 12-15 year olds. Not sure how much of that has arrived, as they were going to phase out use of AZ by October, though we'll see how that pans out. It's better to have more vaccines available than not, but we'll see if our Government have learned anything.
Currently full approval of Pfizer for anyone from 16+. I believe AZ is too, but the messaging is "check with your doctor before taking it if under 60".

Thank you, @gaasc !

Also if you need further proof of the vaccine's power, the German Querdenken covid denial movement now claims "they changed the virus to only kill the unvaccinated!"

Yes, but are they suggesting people take chicken pills or something? Come on, step up your game! :D

Yes, but are they suggesting people take chicken pills or something? Come on, step up your game! :D
"If you stuff a baguette up your rectum and walk around all day with it poking out like a tail, I hear it will catch all the 'rona and protect you from getting sick."

'Rona skeptics, please give me €69 for this advice (and just get the friggin' vaccine you idiots).

(and just get the friggin' vaccine you idiots).

What's shitty now at least in the US, it's been politicized for so long now that it's straight up not about societal health anymore.

Yeah. I really don't see a sane way forward here. People would rather poison themselves with horse paste to own the libs than take a proven vaccine.

"Drinking cyanide-infused tea is a sure-fire way to make sure you don't die from the china virus."

Yeah. I really don't see a sane way forward here. People would rather poison themselves with horse paste to own the libs than take a proven vaccine.
...and then the moment they do get sick, as Joe Rogan said he did, they "throw the kitchen sink at it". Including emergency-authorization-only treatments (a reason given for not trusting the vaccines), drugs developed with embyonic stem cells (a moral objection given to the vaccines), and drugs made by many of the same companies that make vaccines (for example Ivermectin is a Merck drug, who manufacturers at least some of the J&J vaccine).

...and then the moment they do get sick, as Joe Rogan said he did, they "throw the kitchen sink at it". Including emergency-authorization-only treatments (a reason given for not trusting the vaccines), drugs developed with embyonic stem cells (a moral objection given to the vaccines), and drugs made by many of the same companies that make vaccines (for example Ivermectin is a Merck drug, who manufacturers at least some of the J&J vaccine).
Gah, Rogan is so friggin' dumb. None of that makes logical sense. Absolutely. None.

Yet his followers will eat it all up, I'm sure. I'm so done.

About damn time. https://arstechnica.com/science/202...ate-blitz-covers-tens-of-millions-of-workers/

I think one of my biggest worries has been whether the medical staff who work with my mom—including home healthcare nurses—weren't getting the vaccine or taking other precautions to be careful about this. I remember she mentioned one wasn't sure about it early on, but hopefully that changed. Like, if a now-approved vaccine is too much to ask, get the hell out of healthcare. You're a risk to your patients. Other professions beckon.

Glad to see them extend it to other places that could be a source of spread, too. I'm so tired of feeling like the responsible folks in this country—and those who actually can't get the vaccine like younger kids and those with legit health issues—are being held back by all the idiots screaming about their freedumbs. It should be inconvenient as hell to be unvaccinated at this point because it sure as hell has been inconvenient for everyone else to deal with the fallout from everyone who's been a reckless buttcanoe about this.

NSW finally cracked the 1500 cases a day mark today, 1542, 9 deaths - took us longer than I expected - and we're continuing to be told that the worst is to come in the next couple of weeks.

However, they also announced today that the daily 11am press conference will come to an end on Sunday. The Premier is tired of answering questions and taking the blame for poor management, so she's ducking out and leaving NSW Health department staff to make video updates, and politicians will make "intermittent updates" when they feel like it.

Also, from Monday we some sydneysiders, can have pincics again! I can't because I'm in a "hotspot", but the affluent areas can. Already we can exercise for an unlimited number of hours a day, back up from 1 hour a day, which was a stupid measure that didn't actually work.

It's likely - if vaccination rates continue, and everyone who got a first dose gets their second - that October 18th is looking to be our "freedom day" from lockdown. But that won't be a city or state wide thing. It seems like my LGA will continue to have tougher restrictions than elsewhere, though its been shown that these piecemeal restrictions don't actually work.