Covid 19 CRISIS

@Dr_Grip, I have the strong feeling that you pick out the worst examples of "German media", and/or that you pay much more attention to them than you should.

The last few posts by you lamenting about German media all had me asking myself what you're on about... and I regularly read or at least skim over WDR, Spiegel, Zeit and my local paper.

@Dr_Grip, I have the strong feeling that you pick out the worst examples of "German media", and/or that you pay much more attention to them than you should.

The last few posts by you lamenting about German media all had me asking myself what you're on about... and I regularly read or at least skim over WDR, Spiegel, Zeit and my local paper.
The worst sadly is what we all fund - Tagesschau.

I'm starting to get worried.

I look at the numbers for Quebec, and we seem to be worst than at the same time last year, on both the daily new cases number, and number of people hospitalized and critical.

71% of the population (82% of the 12 years old and older) are fully vaccinated.

NewCases-21-09-14.png

Hospitalizations-critical-21-09-14.png

Right now, I’ve only got time for one word: homeopathy. That nonsense is far too widely accepted in Germany.
OK then, my point was that an anti-science and/or anti-government mindset does exist in Germany and it can be very pervasive.

We’ve got people claiming that cell phone towers give you cancer (since long before 5G), others believe that homeopathy is medicine, there’s a small “Reichsbürger“ movement of whackos who insist that the FRG doesn’t actually exist and then, of course, we’ve been having our own troubles with anti-vaxxers for ages; e.g. parents who send their children to “measles parties” instead of getting them vaccinated.

So there’s definitely a sizeable reservoir of people who are far too easily convinced by nonsensical ideas. In the case of homeopathy, they’ve managed to get it on the list of treatments paid for by statutory health insurance. There have been several instances of “Reichsbürger“ harassing and even threatening elected members of local governments or drowning clerks in BS paperwork. Which is to say that some of our whackos do mean business, including illegal weapon stacks.

To them, refusing the vaccine is just as much of an act of rebellion against a supposedly overbearing government as it is to a likeminded idiot in the US.

love too live in a DARK RED SPOT on the map

just kidding, get me the hell out of here
I was listening to NPR this morning who said Chicago area hospitals are at 80% capacity and the surrounding state are even worse. So that's fun.

I was listening to NPR this morning who said Chicago area hospitals are at 80% capacity and the surrounding state are even worse. So that's fun.
"My body, my decision" ... until your body knocks out everyone's health infrastructure :shakefist:

[also, pro-life and pro-vax-choice probably has a large overlap in believers?]

"My body, my decision" ... until your body knocks out everyone's health infrastructure :shakefist:

[also, pro-life and pro-vax-choice probably has a large overlap in believers?]
Huge overlap over here. It's all "my body, my choice" unless you're talking about a uterus. I guess the one constant is that they don't give a crap about anyone else who suffers or dies as a result of their callous, ham-fisted ballsackery?

(Get me out of here, part 4355325904575857403924.)

This relates to a dumb celebrity tweet I dropped in my balls thread, but it's the moment of levity I needed today:

That is one stone cold news presenter. "She always talks about Trinidad and she's from Trinidad. She's yet to collaborate with someone from here, but that's a talk for another program for another day."

Also, "having a flat tire." HAVING A FLAT TIRE.

Texas reaches 60,000 deaths which is higher than New York State at 54,000 and change and more than half of Illinois at around 30,000 deaths. Florida is not too far behind at 51,240 deaths. Texas may surpass California which seems to be around 68,000 deaths

Congrats, we did it?

Our case numbers are slowly flattening out. Dropping little by little, so that's good. Deaths have been anywhere from 8-12 a day for NSW. Today's total was 1087 new infections. Victoria is picking up, as they're into their 6th lockdown. They had 540+ today.

They did have some inane "freedom rally" over the weekend, so that's likely to spike case numbers. Way to get yourselves out of lockdown faster guys! We got through an entire school term from home. The lockdown commenced at the start of the last school holidays, and Saturday was the start of the new school holidays. they're talking about staggering a return to classroom learning, however I don't see them allowing any sort of sports or excursions before February.

Texas reaches 60,000 deaths which is higher than New York State at 54,000 and change and more than half of Illinois at around 30,000 deaths. Florida is not too far behind at 51,240 deaths. Texas may surpass California which seems to be around 68,000 deaths

Congrats, we did it?

Texas population (29M as of 2019) is higher than NYS (19.45M) and IL (12.9M)

Presented in a more honest statistic (anyone else, feel free to destroy these numbers as they are very much back-of-napkin and using rather old data and @93Flareside's numbers of casualties), That means incidence in Texas is 206.9 per 100k, 277.63 in NY, and 232.6 per 100k in IL.

Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics ;) . Do not be swayed by fear, and remember that politicization is very much a thing. The reason Canada had a tenth of the cases, which was lorded as "Look at those US idiots" is because it has more or less a tenth of the population. Land doesn't get COVID, people do.

CA, with a population of about 39.51M (2019) and 68,000 deaths is at about 172.1 per 100k. Better than everyone, but as you can see, Texas is merely "within range" despite very loud and extremely well publicized idiocy.

Texas population (29M as of 2019) is higher than NYS (19.45M) and IL (12.9M)

Presented in a more honest statistic (anyone else, feel free to destroy these numbers as they are very much back-of-napkin and using rather old data and @93Flareside's numbers of casualties), That means incidence in Texas is 206.9 per 100k, 277.63 in NY, and 232.6 per 100k in IL.

Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics ;) . Do not be swayed by fear, and remember that politicization is very much a thing. The reason Canada had a tenth of the cases, which was lorded as "Look at those US idiots" is because it has more or less a tenth of the population. Land doesn't get COVID, people do.

CA, with a population of about 39.51M (2019) and 68,000 deaths is at about 172.1 per 100k. Better than everyone, but as you can see, Texas is merely "within range" despite very loud and extremely well publicized idiocy.

Yeah, absolutely, but it's still something that isn't good. But it does show having half ass rules to no restrictions does little to nothing which is frustrating.